2010 Motor Trend Car of the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Ford Fusion.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/17/autos/ford_fusion_motor_trend/

Ford Fusion: 2010 Motor Trend Car of the Year

Redesigned mid-sized car takes prominent magazine award.

by Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer
November 17, 2009: 2:41 PM ET
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Motor Trend magazine named the Ford Fusion mid-sized sedan as its 2010 Car of the Year on Tuesday. The award includes both the gas-only and hybrid versions of the Fusion.

This year's Car of the Year was selected from among a field of 22 different cars all of which were newly introduced or, like the Fusion, substantially redesigned for the 2010 model year.

The Fusion was first introduced in 2006 but has been substantially upgraded and redesigned for the 2010 model year.

"It's a credit to the [Ford] team to deliver a car in the hottest selling segment in the market and to make it absolutely competitive with the benchmarks," said Motor Trend editor-in-chief Angus McKenzie at an award presentation ceremony.

How much does Motor Trend take in every year from the mfg for this "award"?

Edit: I should clarify this is not a knock on the Fusion but rather MT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming

No idea... but remember that the 1991 Car of the Year was the "jelly bean" Chevrolet Caprice.

Does that make you wonder even more?

Seriously, for once I'd have to agree with Ben.

Also, there's nothing special about the Fusion. There really isn't. It may be a quality mid-sized car, but so are its competitors. The interior is of a reasonable quality, but lacks any sophistication or upscale feel. The 3.0L V6 is a bit lacking. And so on.

Compared to what? Comparing it to the Camry, Accord, Malibu, I'd say that the Fusion is top of the pack. Actually I prefer the Milan myself, but the fusion is great too.

I do believe the Fusion has almost 4 successful years under it's belt though. There were no major mechanical changes. A little bore here, stroke there. The only major change was the addition of the 3.5L V6, which works exellently in the other cars it is installed in.

I have an '06 Fusion (4 cyl/MT) and have to say it's the best car I've ever owned plus it cost way less then the competition.

Originally Posted By: oilslick44
1974 car of the year. Chevy Vega, what a rust bucket piece of [censored] that turned out to be.
The 74 vega didnt rust, the 73 did. Most people loved their vegas, including me. Silly Al block though and undersized radiator. The basic platform lived on as the later gen Camaro - unbeknownst to many.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Compared to what? Comparing it to the Camry, Accord, Malibu, I'd say that the Fusion is top of the pack. Actually I prefer the Milan myself, but the fusion is great too.

+1

Nice platform, and I hear the 4cyl is a gem. Now if FORD would only perform the build at river rouge instead of So. of the Border. Isnt the Mazda 6 cousin build at Flat Rock?

Congrats to the Fusion! It's a great little car.

And for those with doubts, you really should drive one..they are pretty sweet. It's not going to please everyone, but it is a fun car to drive....

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Nice platform, and I hear the 4cyl is a gem. Now if FORD would only perform the build at river rouge instead of So. of the Border. Isnt the Mazda 6 cousin build at Flat Rock?

The Mazda 6 is built at Flat Rock along with the Mustang.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Congrats to the Fusion! It's a great little car.

And for those with doubts, you really should drive one..they are pretty sweet. It's not going to please everyone, but it is a fun car to drive....

They are excellent, best rental car in its size range we've ever had.

Originally Posted By: benjamming

I think that works both ways. Motor Trend tends to be fairer to domestics while not critical of imports, whereas Car and Driver seemed to be biased in favor of Imports. I'm talking ridiculously biased almost to the level of propaganda. Who was more likely to be paying off or to own stock in the company that could be worth something and grow in value? I'd say the upstart Imports were more likely paying off.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

The Mazda 6 is built at Flat Rock along with the Mustang.

Doesn't the Mazda 6 cost more though? I think MT takes in account vehicle price in their award. When you have base model Accords running into the mid-20's, it probably counts against them. But generally Car of the Year goes to a new remake of a model and not last years winner even if it is still better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back