2010 Camry 2.5L oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
I suspect low tension piston rings is a big part of this. These engines seem to like very clean, thin oil. I am generally becoming a fan of frequent OCIs. Good, SN+/D1G2il is dirt cheap.

Valvoline Restore from ryder.com, then preventive maintenance is my suggestion. Otherwise top 'er off Granny, w/ST once a week.

Valvoline Restore only comes in 10w30 correct?

Correct.
It is designed for Cummins,
OK for gasoline engines too.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by The Critic
The piston rings are likely to be gummed up, probably from the 10K oil change intervals with 0w-20. ...
Popular theory, but unproven, as far as I've seen. What specific property of used oil at 9999 miles causes rings to "gum up" in these vulnerable engines, assuming the engine is otherwise sludge- and varnish-free? Does that property show up in typical used oil analysis? If not, what should they be measuring?

Full disclosure: I'm interested because have a Prius, which is reputedly vulnerable to the same issue, although I haven't experienced it, so far.

The issue is deposits. The piston rings are prone to being gummed up and any
deposits accumulated will overtime, lead to this issue.

UOA's do not show whether an oil is leaving deposits. I strongly suspect that an engine oil with a low TBN will not have the same "deposit-fighting" capability as one with a higher TBN. I do not know what the TBN thresholds should be, but my guess is that an oil with a TBN of 2.5 remaining is not doing as good of a job as one with a TBN of 4.5 left. This is the only reasonable explanation that would explain why the shorter drain people seem to have fewer issues with oil consumption.

I conducted successive, extended UOAs with a very thin, high VI 0W20 oil.
Oxidative thickening became unacceptable between 17k and 20k miles, in my circumstances. The TBN hovered around 2.0 for quite a while.

So now what ?
OCI ?
ST 0W16
or
M1 0W40
or even
M1 ESP 5W30 ???

I ask everyone.

This would be without 32" tires. Ha Ha.

Originally Posted by CR94

Originally Posted by bbhero
Proven.. Whether you, your mother, father etc etc like it or not....
Look on here... Read ALL the posts about these motors BURNING oil.... It is extensive. Documented....
And... I did also make note.... It was not due specifically to 10k mile intervals... Even short ones it has happened routinely.
You just contradicted yourself!

Read the first post I put in here Capt.....

It was stated in that one. . Plain has day...

The 2nd paragraph in my first post... plus sentence with.... The car from my lady's grandmother did not see long etc etc etc...

I've said the same thing... Every time...

You were the one talking bout 10k miles. . Not me.

Yee ha
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Wow … what year was the RAM ?

2010 I believe 4wd....

Took a dealer 5 weeks in Charleston SC to get all the parts needed to totally repair the truck... My mom and step father just went last week to pick it up and bring it back home. What a boondoggle...

Sounds like a shocker went she went …
… did lose a rear end on a 2002 Dodge 1500 … but it certainly died a more peaceful death

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Nowadays I never see anybody looking under the hood at a fuel stop. I'm really surprised there aren't more blown engines.

As much as it pains me to admit it, cars these days are a lot better than they used to be, and good enough that it seems to make up for a lot of the dunderheads driving them. The amount of work I've had to do on vehicles as the model years progressed has fallen dramatically, and I'm not just talking routine maintenance, but repairs, too.

Originally Posted by diyjake
My aunt's 2010 Camry with the 2.5L (2ar-fe) with 130k miles on the car is having pretty serious oil consumption. I changed the oil for her about 2,000K miles ago with M1 EP 0w20 and she checked today and there is barely anything on the dipstick.

Are these engines know for that? I know Toyota had a problem with oil consumption with the 2.4L engines (2az-fe).

Should we try using a thicker oil? Any ideas?

Many people would love to have your problem. Try losing a quart in 700 miles. No leaks. Just vanishes. Yes pcv is in good order. So m1 0w20 ep or say m1 10w30 hm is 25 bucks at walmart. After rebates it is around 15 bucks or so for 5 quarts. 15 bucks gets you past say 10k miles. No hassles. One year of service typically.
If it looses faster, then you can skip on oil changes, but keep changing the oil filter. 10 years out you have spent 150 on m1 oil. Not bad.

Also I always check oil on a cold engine in the morning. So much easier to read the dipstick on the first attempt.

Last edited:
Yeah, I check oil on engines cold also. Just makes it so much easier. Just pull and look. Depending upon how fast the miles get racked up this might only need to be done once or twice a month.

Anyhow. As I said way up, ours doesn't burn, even after crossing the 190k mark. I suspect your aunt may have got taken... or whoever sold the car got lucky and got rid of it without knowing it was burning oil. Sorry...

I did start using 5W30 quite some time ago, and been alternating between 5k and 10k OCI's on our 2AR-FE. Good/bad? No idea. With all the FUD I can muster up I've decided that cheap synthetic on a short OCI *might* be better than a great synthetic on a long OCI.

For all I know, this oil burning motor of the OP's was fed cheap dino and used > 10k OCI's.

I'm convinced some cars just use oil. I purchased my 09 altima with just a few thousand miles on it, changed the oil religiously, every 3500 or so with quality synthetic and either Nissan or Bosch filters. I had it into the dealer from the get go several times for consumption issues, 1/2-3/4 of a quart every 1k. Supposedly this didn't meet nissans excessive consumption. [censored] me off but 10yrs later and 113k it still uses the same amount and runs like a clock. I replaced the plugs at 100k and they looked fine. The tail pipe is extremely sooty so I suspect the factory tune was set to achieve maximum mileage. All that said the only thing ever done was the cvt replaced at 90k but was covered under extended warranty. My car is absoloutely mint but uses oil and always has. I can't sell it because of the consumption so i gave it to my son who now checks the oil every 500 miles. I also just bought an unbelievably clean, 100k, garage kept 08 impala with the 3.9 and fuel management crap from an old lady who had receipts since new from dealer service, every 3k. I changed the oil and drove it to Nashville and back this week, around 1k miles total and it used a half quart.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I'm convinced some cars just use oil. I purchased my 09 altima with just a few thousand miles on it, changed the oil religiously, every 3500 or so with quality synthetic and either Nissan or Bosch filters. I had it into the dealer from the get go several times for consumption issues, 1/2-3/4 of a quart every 1k. Supposedly this didn't meet nissans excessive consumption. [censored] me off but 10yrs later and 113k it still uses the same amount and runs like a clock. I replaced the plugs at 100k and they looked fine. The tail pipe is extremely sooty so I suspect the factory tune was set to achieve maximum mileage. All that said the only thing ever done was the cvt replaced at 90k but was covered under extended warranty. My car is absoloutely mint but uses oil and always has. I can't sell it because of the consumption so i gave it to my son who now checks the oil every 500 miles. I also just bought an unbelievably clean, 100k, garage kept 08 impala with the 3.9 and fuel management crap from an old lady who had receipts since new from dealer service, every 3k. I changed the oil and drove it to Nashville and back this week, around 1k miles total and it used a half quart.

Wow, that's a lot of oil usuage out of a vehicle from day one, that would have really bothered me too.

The Impala you bought with the active fuel management system will use oil, most of GM's AFM or DOD systems (displacement of demand) use oil. I'm discovering this right now...my truck has used oil since new, maybe around a quart over 5,000 miles. I expect it'll get worse (currently at 37,000 miles). I drive a lot, so I'm not sure how much oil consumption I'll be willing to put up with (I drive 500-600 miles a week). To think I may have to put a quart of Synthetic into an engine every week is not something I think I'll be willing to do. That happened to me with my last car (Lexus LS460), but I was at 178,000 miles before that started happening...at that point it needed $4,000 in other repairs and I was happy to trade it in (the thought of fixing $4,000 worth of parts, and then being stuck with a 178,000 mile car that drinks a quart every 700 miles, didn't appeal to me).

Yeah it's amazing what you will put up with from cars when you like them. I had an 03 altima that was totaled by a deer at 175k and never used a drop, even though Nissan had the issues with the cats destroying engines. My buddy's wife had a Honda Accord, not sure of the engine. She travelled a lot for work and the car had 300k and he said several times he would check the oil and it was basically empty yet it's probably still running down some backroad as I type this. Back in the 80's it seemed every car I drove used oil but as a punk kid I probably never checked it. Thank goodness for dad.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by D1dad

Wow, that's a lot of oil usuage out of a vehicle from day one, that would have really bothered me too.

The Impala you bought with the active fuel management system will use oil, most of GM's AFM or DOD systems (displacement of demand) use oil. I'm discovering this right now...my truck has used oil since new, maybe around a quart over 5,000 miles. I expect it'll get worse (currently at 37,000 miles). I drive a lot, so I'm not sure how much oil consumption I'll be willing to put up with (I drive 500-600 miles a week). To think I may have to put a quart of Synthetic into an engine every week is not something I think I'll be willing to do. That happened to me with my last car (Lexus LS460), but I was at 178,000 miles before that started happening...at that point it needed $4,000 in other repairs and I was happy to trade it in (the thought of fixing $4,000 worth of parts, and then being stuck with a 178,000 mile car that drinks a quart every 700 miles, didn't appeal to me).

Yeah I found that out. My son in law is a GM tech and he said the v8 was horrible with afm, the v6 wasnt as troublesome. I contribute the half quart to the fact that I switched it over to synthetic, the dealer used bulk 5w30 which I assume was probably some low budget dexos blend. I figured doing 85-90 mph through the foothills of the smokies and a half quart wasn't bad for a thousand miles. I changed it with Quaker state synthetic before I left so I'm hoping it will settle down. If not then my son in law has a 50k motor setting there waiting with no afm and as nice as this car is it's worth it. The old gal I bought it from was so particular about this car she didn't wanna sell it with used tires so had the dealer install a set of $800 Bridgestones on it. I paid $3500 for a car that looked like it darn near came off the showroom floor that spent its winters in homestead Florida. I will say that this was the first time I ever switched a car to synthetic and seen it cause a few drips of oil from somewhere on the garage floor. I think tomorrow I'll change it over to one of the jugs of platinum high mileage I have and see if it corrects that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back