2009 Corvette ZR-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Buffman
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Originally Posted By: glennc
Not only 100hp/l, which is not that remarkable these days,

I think it's even more remarkable today. Back in the 60's, factory horsepower was measured at the crank, but since the early 70's it's measured at the rear wheels. If they measured this motor at the crank, it would be more like 140 hp/l.

No they are still measured at the crank. The old SAE standard pre 1970 uses gross HP; post 1970 calls for net HP - the engine must wear its belt and all the power robbing accessories.

SI. I think it was pre 1972. New stuff is all measured as the motor would go in the car..

Matt

It was pre '72. I used to have a '71 Vette with the 365hp LS5 454 motor. The same engine with absolutely no changes was rated at 270hp in '72.

Also, when SAE Gross HP was allowed, the engine was measured with no air filter or intake ductwork, and open exhaust manifolds were allowed.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
If only the build quality can match the least of it's competitors, it would be quite attractive

So this car is not actually out yet, but we already know as a fact that it MUST have poor build quality???
54.gif

WHY, because its a domestic/GM??
\

Okay, fair enough. I'll withold the comments until it's in the public's hands.... I may be jaded at the past quality of GM vehicles, but even if nothing has changed, I'd STILL DRIVE ONE :)

Originally Posted By: Warlord
I realize I was comparing apples to oranges but slapping a supercharger on the base engine seems like an easy way out to me (I also realize it isn't quite that simple). I would love it if gm worked with Lingenfelter Performance Engineering and put a LPE turbo vette into production.

I bet they didnt twin turbo it for liability sake (warranty and safety). Superchargers are a lot more consistent, responsive, predictable and safe. I've seen custom twin turbo vettes, theyre just outrageously GRIZZLY and they shouldnt be sold as production vehicles... for the safety of the public!

Can't wait to see one, but I'd do without the "window" in the hood. Kind of cheezy.

My parents' 2008 convertible should be in sometime next month. I can't wait to go for a spin in that. Man is it going to look nice sitting in the garage next to the '59.

I bet they didnt twin turbo it for liability sake (warranty and safety). Superchargers are a lot more consistent, responsive, predictable and safe. I've seen custom twin turbo vettes, theyre just outrageously GRIZZLY and they shouldnt be sold as production vehicles... for the safety of the public!

They actually made one twin turbo. It burned to the ground before they got to test it. That was the end of the TT Corvette experiment.

The original ZR-1 was not a TT and the engine was subbed out to Mercury marine outboard.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
The original ZR-1 was not a TT and the engine was subbed out to Mercury marine outboard.

I didn't say anything about the original ZR-1 that was made in '69. There were only two Corvettes made with that aluminum block 427.

Chevy did make a twin turbo ZR-1 Corvette in the early 90s. They were made by Callaway, you can read about them here.

OK, I'm wrong. The early 90's ZR-1 was not twin turbo. I guess I was thinkging of the Sledgehammer vette that Callaway did. Rather, it had 4 valves per cylinder with overhead cams. I knew there was something special about it, and assumed it was the TT setup.

Last edited:
edit: oops, it took me awhile to post this and I didn't see your reply beforehand.

That sledgehammer was a monster. I wish they had built more.

Last edited:
Yeah, I apologize, I had it in my mind they were TT and when I first saw that page I skimmed it and saw "This dual personality was a logical outgrowth of the appeal of the twin-turbo Callaway conversions", and I thought it was collaborating my thoughts. You were right, I was thinking of the Sledgehammer.

I can't wait to see one in person! I remember how exciting it was to see the Z06 in person for the first time!

Oh boy, the lame old HP/Liter argument...

The current Z06 has gone like 10.90s dead stock at 130 mph in the 1/4, and will eat just about any vehicle in any form of motorsport. This new one will be one of the baddest vehicles ever. I'd bet with a good driver, it'll be a 9 second 1/4 mile vehicle off the show room floor with nothing but drag radials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469NvIOiz7U&feature=user

But yea, the Solstice has more hp/liter. BAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAA, what a joke...

Superchargers are a lot more consistent, responsive, predictable and safe. I've seen custom twin turbo vettes, theyre just outrageously GRIZZLY and they shouldnt be sold as production vehicles... for the safety of the public!

Also, part of the reason is because IF they set up the snout/pulley/shaft assembly right (a permanent/non-changeable mounting) it will be VERY hard to impossible for owners to up the boost with just a pulley change, which could be swapped back and forth for dealer visits.(As could be done on '03-'04 Cobras, and T Bird SCs.)
They would have to change the whole, complete blower to get more boost, and the dealers would be able to recognize when this is done.
IF they had gone turbo, it would have been MUCH easier for the owners to up the boost to dangerous levels (which sometimes without "supporting mods" detract from the performance).
This would have been easier to get past the dealers when the cars were brought in for engine warranty work due to the over-boost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oh boy, the lame old HP/Liter argument...

The current Z06 has gone like 10.90s dead stock at 130 mph in the 1/4, and will eat just about any vehicle in any form of motorsport. This new one will be one of the baddest vehicles ever. I'd bet with a good driver, it'll be a 9 second 1/4 mile vehicle off the show room floor with nothing but drag radials.

...as well as BUTCHER any other production vehicle on the lame/un-standardizable Nurburgring lap time attack thing, on a dry track with a good driver, at least.

Even with an Eaton blower, I'll bet ya dollars to donuts that after a year of aftermarket research, people will be getting 800+ rear wheel hp out of these babies with very little. And when Kenne Bell gets a big bore 2.8L twin screw to fit on it, or Whipple gets a twin screw kit going for it, WATCH OUT! The motor is already built for boost, so big boost will be easier on the bottom end than the current gen Vettes.

year? We're talking GM here. There will probably be all sorts of mods for it within 6 months of them being offically for sale on the lot. Heck LS7-Edit was available in like 2 months after the z06 being offically for sale at dealers.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back