2008 Sprinter MH with diesel 3.0 engine. When to OCI?

I have a 2008 Sprinter MH with a diesel 3.0 engine. I last changed oil Oct 2020 and have driven it 750 miles. My son told me no need to change the oil, since the manufacturer calls for oil change every 10,000 miles (but also states 2 years). I feel the oil should be changed because of the time element. Please advise if the oil should be changed now, or if it is ok to continue to use the unit as is. Thank you.

I'm a little nutty but I sure would change it. I'd also get some miles on it as a matter of routine maintenance. They like to be run!

I've gone longer than that. I'd chance it in the spring if it really bothers you.

Fresh oil never hurt an engine but I’d probably change it. The engine probably has A LOT of moisture in it as it is, run it until the oil gets hot and then change it

I'd sit on it a little longer. I assume that if you start it, you run it up to temp. In fact you probably hammer it to keep that overweight van moving.

That said, what are your annual costs for insurance, registration, parking, etc? How much does oil add to it? You'll also want new tires every ~10 years or so.

How many miles are you planning on doing in the next 12 months? Your current usage of 375 miles a year is so low that if that’s not going to increase then I don’t see the point changing the oil. Fresh oil to not use it seems a waste to me.

As said, get the current oil nice and hot the get the engine on overrun plenty to vent the crank case.

Back