2008 Honda Civic EX Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2008 Honda Civic EX Sedan and was wondering what people are finding the oil change interval to work out to since it has an OLM. It's at 80% now and around 1,500 miles since the last change which works out to about 7,500 miles. Does that sound about right?

The previous generation, 2001-2005, with the 1.7L I-4 that grew to a 1.8 for 2006 came with a manual that recommended changing the oil every 10k and the filter every 20k. There was no OLM. Odometer's digital, but speedo, tacho, and fuel gauge are analog. Severe service interval recommendations were shorter, of course.

I'm working my way up on my 2005 from 3000 miles. Have gone about 6100 with good analysis results.

That kind of interval definitely sounds about right to me. Probably on the conservative side. I wouldn't hesitate to follow it.

These engines historically survive maintenance mistreatment pretty well. I'd follow the OLM for the engine oil and change the ATF at least twice as often as you're told to, if you got the AT. If you got a manual, you'll be sick of the car before it dies, assuming you give it a minimum level of care and maintenance.

7500 to 8000....sounds just about right.

Of course, you didn't mention your driving habits.... or the type of oil (Syn or Conventional) you are using.

I got several UOAs on my 07 when I had it, with TBN, mostly over 6k miles at 15% on the MM. All of them came back with life to spare. To be fair most of my changes included top-up oil though. It will depend on driving style but I would generally trust the MM.

Note that being at 80% at 1500 miles doesn't necessarily extrapolate to 7500 miles for the change though. I perceived some non-linear performance on mine.

Originally Posted By: oiltard
The previous generation, 2001-2005, with the 1.7L I-4 that grew to a 1.8 for 2006 came with a manual that recommended changing the oil every 10k and the filter every 20k.

Not to be pedantic, but the D17 from 01-05 is not related to the R18 from 06+. Just keying off the "grew" comment.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Not to be pedantic, but the D17 from 01-05 is not related to the R18 from 06+. Just keying off the "grew" comment.

Nah, you're right. The Honda B's and D's and K's and R's do share a lot of big-picture design commonalities, which was what I was getting at. You're right to keep the record straight though.

My wife will be the primary driver and likely putting 1,600 to 1,800 miles on the car per month. It won't be considered a low mileage car for long! Her commute is about 25 miles one way with one stop at daycare and probably 75% highway and the rest in a small community so we'll rarely see true city driving. Even on the non-workday trips I wouldn't consider it true city driving.

I have no idea what oil it has currently last service, per the Carfax, was done at the dealer. The carfax did indicate an oil change and then an oil/filter change so that makes sense based on some of your comments. It's an automatic transmission.

You got the right car for the job. Despite some of the problems Honda's been through, if you follow the OLM, you should get lots and lots of cheap miles out of it. I do recommend more frequent ATF changes if it's an automatic though.

IMO....considering your driving habits....I would do two oil changes a year (April and October)..... no matter what the mileage....and using a good synthetic (like Mobil 1 or PP).

Each of these oils can do 10,000 OCI's easily (see tig's posts), especially they way your wife will drive it. I'm confident that your Honda will have a very long life using the above OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back