2008 Accord- Official Specs and Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

It actually looks more as though Chris Bangle got himself a new job. Good news for BMW.

laugh.gif
was thinking the same thing... that Accord has major Bangle Butt! However it's still an Accord and many people WILL overlook he exterior design

If the Japanese manufacturers were wise, they would hire some Italians. The average Japanese car has really good, idiot proof and long lived mechanical design and execution.
It is really the cars' shape and interior design that could use improvement. The average Japanese brand has no great visual appeal. Of course, you could say the same about most recent BMWs, as well as the two faux retro Jaguar models. Honda interiors are typically ergonomically great, and you don't find serious errors like I-drive, but the interior look and visual feel could be improved.

I'm more pleased with my red 2007 Accord Coupe' than I've been with any car I've owned so far. Is that an overstatment? I'm serious. My previous Accord experiences were 86-89 vintage. My Mom kept her 1986 for 10 years, without a repair except brakes and muffler.

That being said, I understand the criticisim of the previous gen SEDAN styling. It is not really that bad when you put it side-by-side with other contenders. To me, the quality shines through the styling, to a certian degree. Does that make sense to anyone else? Ok, now, I have a Coupe', I really like the styling. I was parked next to a Lexus IS250, a car people woo over. I just can't say it was any better than my car. In fact, I thought the "parabolic" fenders were similar, with the IS being more deeply curved.

So, I got OT talking about my model, but I am psyched on a cost/value basis. I suppose this will translate to the G8 model too, but it will take getting used to. I bought mine on styling, and really can't say that about the new one. As far as Italian designers and Asian cars, did that not bring us the Daewoo Laganza and Hundai Tiburon?

I "saw" one of the new accords about 2 months ago. They were filming the new honda commercials on the coastline down the street from where I live. when they where finished they parked all of the cars in a empty parking lot about a block from my house. the entire honda lineup was out there except for the accord. then a mysterious car drives up under a cover that only had holes in it for the windshield and driver's side window, even the wheels were covered. they quickly unzip a flap enough that the driver can get out then they cover everything back up. the accord was then loaded into a covered car transport truck and hauled off. it was interesting to watch.

so, when you see the new honda commercials and they are driving on the coast, that is in my backyard!

Quote:

The average Japanese car has really good, idiot proof and long lived mechanical design and execution.
It is really the cars' shape and interior design that could use improvement.

Did I just hear someone whisper "zoom, zoom"?

driving.gif

Auto-Union,

Understand, I am a Honda guy. We've owned them for years, and you can't beat a Honda as a daily driver, even if today takes you from, say Cincinnati to Dallas. Also, Hondas are unpretentious, unlike all current Euro nameplates, as well as most SUVs and even pickups.
I don't find most Hondas got-to-have-it gorgeous. OTOH, Honda designs usually don't appear dated after a few years.
Finally, when I look at some of the hideous European and American designs of recent years, I have to think that maybe Honda really is a current master of design, after all.
There are Emperor Without Clothes machines from Germany for the pretentious that would make anyone other than Ray Charles ill.

yeah, but neither have most M-B designs made after the early 1960s. Actually, when you look at some of thre basic designs, the w115/116/123/126 mercedes, the 2002, E30, E32, E36 BMW, etc., what you start to find is that the Japanese designs (style and mechanical) often copied the euro designs. Toyota is a ripoff of MB, Datsun a ripoff of BMW. Honda is an engine maker that slaps bodies onto their cars, and surely is a surrogate ofthese other makes from a long duration of time.

Is there anything wrong with that??? Id say not, but let's not claim that they are doing something unique, they are merely freshening the timeless designs of the euro cars from years ago.

Where the divergence is, is that there really is little to nothing new under the sun, and so why the Japanese makers are freshening take-offs of beautiful designs from long ago, the Euro makers are trying to create something new.

Which is right? that is for your senses, not CR, not the neighbors, not a commercial to say. For me, I think the new accord looks better than the new A4, but that is just me...

JMH

You are right.
I like the look of the MB 114/115, the 123, even the 124 and the 201.
The BMWs through the early 'nineties or so look good to my eye. The old six series coupe is timeless.
Incidentally, many considered the mid to late 'sixties BMW sedans to have been heavily influenced by the first gen Corvair! Think of a 1600 or a 2002.
WRT looks, I think the Audis are about the best looking current offerings from Germany.
Which finally leads me to ask, why can't we see an attractive new design idiom? Euro, Japanese or American, why can't we see vehicles with great character and timeless design, or is this only something which can be identified retrospectively?

Quote:

TORRANCE, Calif., Sept. 10, 2007 - The all-new, completely redesigned 2008 Honda Accord is set to debut at dealerships nationwide on September 12 (sedan) and September 20 (coupe), with Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices1 (MSRP) ranging from $20,360 for the well-equipped Accord LX Sedan to $30,510 for the sporty and luxurious Accord EX-L V-6 Coupe equipped with the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation2 System™, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=707430

I checked out the Sedans today. They were massive. The dash was way-busy. Some things I liked, some I did not. Accord 4-dr used to imply ~some~ sport aspect, not this car did not. It's a ride-to-the-airport kind of car. It's not for me. I'm sure the Coupe is fat, but still I think of my G7 model as big.

Quote:

I'm more pleased with my red 2007 Accord Coupe' than I've been with any car I've owned so far. Is that an overstatment? I'm serious. My previous Accord experiences were 86-89 vintage. My Mom kept her 1986 for 10 years, without a repair except brakes and muffler.

I thought you were an Audi guy, you a convert?

Quote:

fwiw, here is a look at the new A4:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/07/b8-a4-first-look/

I actually like it. Somehow they finally made the big front grill work on this one. The rear isn't the greatest, but it's not particularly bad either. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to.

The one gripe I have about the B8 is that they're still planning to offer it with that tiny 1.8T engine. I know it has been improved since the days of B5/B6, but still... 160 HP seems like too little these days in a rather heavy sporty sedan.

As for the Accord, I'm sure it's a fantastic appliance, but after owning one, I just couldn't stand getting bored to death during every drive. Plus, the fit and finish quality was aweful on mine. Not sure if it's thanks to its "Made in USA" sticker or if I just had bad luck. Add to that a clueless dealer service network and it was enough for me to never consider another Honda again.

new A4 looks like a model refreshing, not a redesign? The rear tail light section looks like a clear avoidance from the previous geometry which Audi introduced but Honda and Hyundai took copies from. Theres some BMW in that rear section. Oh, the robbery!

Auto-Union,
I got to spend about 700 miles in the outgoing generation (like yours) last week, and I was really impressed.
Strong engine, silent operation, good grip, and lots of room.
Now, our '99 seems loud, and our '97 seems crude.
Great car, no doubt. Not sure I like the chain (vs the T-belt), but I can't argue with what Honda has done in refining an already refined model. The '08 will no doubt be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back