2007 Honda Crv starter replacement ?

I need to replace the starter on my 2007 Honda CRV. I have seen yt videos and forum posts showing it being done from under the hood (remove the intake manifold) or under the car (very tight access). Any opinions here from fellow BITOGers who have done it on this car (2007-2011 Honda CRV models) ? - Thanks

Last edited:
Watch the YouTube videos about how to do that for your generation of CR-V.

The ones I have watched for my generation (2016) show that the best way is to access it from under and also from the wheel-well. According to the YouTube videos it is not a fun job. It looks like you need strong long skinny arms, and some extensions for your sockets, a good size mirror (preferably with a built-in light probably would come in handy).

When the job is a royal pain in the neck to do, it makes sense to spend extra on quality part(s) so you do not have to do it again soon. There is plenty of junk low price stuff out there now days.

Personally I would have a good rebuild shop rebuild mine if it needed attention. A starter from a quality rebuild local shop is a lot better than something made cheap by un-skilled labor in some low-wage sweatshop in some foreign country.

Here in Pittsburgh PA U.S.A. there is a good rebuild shop called Ed's Generator Service at 2029 PA - 51 Pittsburgh PA 15210 Phone 412 881-0300. All the independent auto repair shops in the area take there starters and alternator to that shop for rebuilding. You could phone them and ask if they would work via UPS if you want.

Ive done it both ways, takes about the same time both ways, its less work but more aggravating and slower to work from the bottom, more work but easier work to pull the intake. I generally pull the intake. Order a throttle body gasket as well and you can unbolt the throttle and leave it hang by the hoses and plugs while you remove the intake, saves a bit of time

Ive done it both ways, takes about the same time both ways, its less work but more aggravating and slower to work from the bottom, more work but easier work to pull the intake. I generally pull the intake. Order a throttle body gasket as well and you can unbolt the throttle and leave it hang by the hoses and plugs while you remove the intake, saves a bit of time

I've also done it both ways, I prefer to do it from underneath....But like you say, It's 6 of one, 1/2 Dozen of the other.

That being said, No way I would do it from underneath without a lift!!

I wound up replacing the starter from under the car. A couple of good videos -

Back