2005 CRV starter replacement - What else to do?

I’m replacing the starter in my 2005 CRV with the 2.4L K24. Probably will take it out tomorrow and take to an auto electric shop to rebuild. I’ll do this by removing the intake manifold so will be doing a lot of the work from the top.

While I have access and am in there, are there any maintenance or preventative tasks I could or should do?

Clean the intake plenum that you remove and clean the throttle body (I left throttle body in the car since coolant goes through it). Get a new intake plenum gasket and throttle body gasket if you’re so inclined, but mine at over 200k seemed fine (I had replacements and used them, but from what I remember they seemed like they would’ve been fine to reuse).

If you have been getting intermittent P0325 check engine codes, you should replace the inexpensive knock sensor while the intake manifold is off. Some of the OEM knock sensors were overly sensitive and gave false P0325 codes.
Thanks for the suggestion. Normally I'd consider doing this as a matter of course but it looks like the OEM part is $150 Canadian (I checked today) and I haven't been getting any codes. The starter issue seems to be mechanical in nature.

I would buy a starter and have it on hand.
I've got a great auto electric shop close to my house. They're high quality, fast, and cheap (an almost impossible combination!) I always use them to rebuild alternators when I need that and they also do starters. The timing is a bit off, as they may be closed for New Years but we have another vehicle to use and if I need something else I can insure the old Tercel for a few days :)

I'm not 100% sure if the starter swap would be the same between an 05 and an 08, but despite what the internet says I swapped the starter on my 08 from underneath and it really wasn't that difficult. Lots of instructions online said you had to pull the intake. I've had a cheap one like the linked db electrical on there and its been fine for a few years now.

I'm not 100% sure if the starter swap would be the same between an 05 and an 08, but despite what the internet says I swapped the starter on my 08 from underneath and it really wasn't that difficult. Lots of instructions online said you had to pull the intake. I've had a cheap one like the linked db electrical on there and its been fine for a few years now.
I think if I had a lift I'd do it from underneath but I'm not keen to struggle with it while lying on the ground outside at this time of year (though it is quite warm right now)

Clean the intake plenum that you remove and clean the throttle body (I left throttle body in the car since coolant goes through it). Get a new intake plenum gasket and throttle body gasket if you’re so inclined, but mine at over 200k seemed fine (I had replacements and used them, but from what I remember they seemed like they would’ve been fine to reuse).
I have seen a youtube video that changed the starter without removing the intake from underneath...

I have seen a youtube video that changed the starter without removing the intake from underneath...
Easier to just remove the intake and not be frustrated. I looked at skipping the intake removal, but on a car I’m not super familiar with since I don’t work on them day in and day out, I took the route of no frustration. I’m a mechanic and have all the tools, but it wasn’t worth it to me. Intake only took a couple of minutes to remove.

Update - starter removed. I removed the intake manifold. It was a lot harder than the videos make it sound. The Haynes book basically just says to remove the intake, remove starter, and installation is "the reverse of removal". Useless. I had to remove a ton of vacuum and electrical lines, some coolant lines, etc...

Now to wait for Tuesday when the auto electric shop opens. If I drop it off first thing they'll probably have it done same day.

Update - starter removed. I removed the intake manifold. It was a lot harder than the videos make it sound. The Haynes book basically just says to remove the intake, remove starter, and installation is "the reverse of removal". Useless. I had to remove a ton of vacuum and electrical lines, some coolant lines, etc...

Now to wait for Tuesday when the auto electric shop opens. If I drop it off first thing they'll probably have it done same day.
Proof that there is no substitute for a FSM. Haynes suck big time. Honda manuals are well done with great info and illustrations.

Proof that there is no substitute for a FSM. Haynes suck big time. Honda manuals are well done with great info and illustrations.
Agreed - I’m going to seek out the FSM. I rebuilt the motor in my Tercel with a Haynes manual but I won’t say it was easy. Tercel is so much easier to work on and I wish I could drive it forever but it’s just not safe enough for family driving.

I think if I had a lift I'd do it from underneath but I'm not keen to struggle with it while lying on the ground outside at this time of year (though it is quite warm right now)
If its possible to remove from under side I take that anytime over all the unnecessary work of fooling with and breaking plastic connectors and or hose nipples, or messing something up any day. I know on the Gen 3 it can be done from under side.

I use a jack and stands and blocks, never had a lift, and I'm no longer a kid.

If its possible to remove from under side I take that anytime over all the unnecessary work of fooling with and breaking plastic connectors and or hose nipples, or messing something up any day. I know on the Gen 3 it can be done from under side.

I use a jack and stands and blocks, never had a lift, and I'm no longer a kid.
I'm happy to do the work from the top in this case. I once replaced the oil pan sealant on my 93 Tercel to fix the leaking pan - did that on the ground without lifting the vehicle. Not for those who are claustrophobic!

Back