Proactive replacement to avoid stranding?

I live in a big state with a lot of very remote areas and hobbies frequently take me into those places. This means I will sometimes replace items before they've fully failed. As an example, I put a new starter on an older fishing truck based on the tired performance of the previous one. It was $80 for a solid brand and it seemed like cheap insurance. I did a fuel pump for the same reason.

Here's a running list I keep in my head on what components, if they fail, would leave me in a tough spot.

Battery
Fuel Pump
Alternator
Starter

What else would you put on the list? If something seems okay, do you roll the dice and leave it? Or replace on a schedule before you're left high and dry?

Not too worried about COP's. Worst case you get a misfire on a single cylinder. I often carry a spare coil.

Starters I hope I can bang on if needed. If they're buried on top of a motor then maybe replace proactively when you're in there.

I'm in the minority that does see fuel pumps as preventive maintenance and will replace with OEM if it's a road tripper/tow rig.

Never had an alt leave me stranded. Plus a lot of vehicles will run quite awhile straight off the battery if you minimize electrical loads. Although the modern stuff REALLY hates low voltage. My JL gets STUPID with low volts and will try to run the wipers and other weird things. Oftentimes they won't release the Park interlock so you couldn't even get it into gear if you wanted.

If I'm concerned, I might buy and carry certain spare parts, but I probably wouldn't replace major parts ahead of time. I've had cars where the original starter lasted 15+ years, only to have the parts-store replacements last a year and I wind up replacing it over and over. Just to name one example.

I've had cars where the original starter lasted 15+ years, only to have the parts-store replacements last a year and I wind up replacing it over and over. Just to name one example.

That's exactly my thought. You are rolling the dice with many aftermarket parts these days. There's even a decent chance of a brand new part being DOA. I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one here who's replaced a failed part with a brand new one, only to spend the next hour or so re checking things to ensure that I'm not going insane with my diagnosis.

I work in HVAC. I always cringe when someone wants to spend thousands of dollars to rip out a perfectly functioning, but old furnace. Many older HVAC systems were capable of lasting almost forever. New ones, not so much.

I always cringe when someone wants to spend thousands of dollars to rip out a perfectly functioning, but old furnace. Many older HVAC systems were capable of lasting almost forever. New ones, not so much.
One of my friends replaced an ancient but good working copper hot water heater (in a 1910 or 1920s house) with a new one. I'll bet that old copper one would have outlasted the new one two or three times over. I suspect the plumber got good bucks for that old copper one too.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

In 60 years of driving I've never had a vehicle completely leave me on the road. And I've driven some pretty old vehicles. But I've had a few close calls: (1) voltage regulator went out and the alternator stopped charging while on a late night trip in my '65 Comet. Headlights got too dim to drive. Spent the night at a service station in case it wouldn't start when it got light. Car still started at dawn and the regulator was working again. (2) coil failed on my '65 Comet. Limped home. (3) clutch went out on my '65 Comet (are you starting to see a pattern here). A pin had fallen out of the linkage but I didn't figure that out while on the road. (4) dragging exhaust (happened twice) on my '86 Volvo. Learned to carry wire and pliers.

I do believe in proactive belt replacement but my 18 1/2 year old Volvo still had all the original hoses when I sold it. I recently replaced the serpentine belt on my 2007 Accord for the first time. The old belt looked fine so it went in the trunk as a spare. It still has all the original hoses.

You’re better off buying used OEM parts rather than aftermarket, at least for import vehicles. I don’t have much experience with domestics.
Or NOS. I was able to get a NOS AC compressor from Amazon for my Scion. It must have been overstock because it did not appear to be a knock off with casting and engravings being identical to my unit including the delivery box.

I used to go through "reman" alternators every year on previous vehicles.

If you're going to replace an alt or starter it obviously can't be from the corporate stores like AutoZone. You need to source OEM and that's not cheap.

When my wife's '08 F150 started giving a battery light (but was still charging) I put new brushes in. It'll probably go another 150k....

Water pump, radiator (carry a spare in case other gets off road damage), carry all extra coolant hoses, clamps etc. 2 spare tires in vehicle at all times, of course a box of tools, extra belts, extra lug nuts, some electric wire, a cheap vom or dmm, lots of water, duct tape, electric tape, tow strap and chain, tire chains (even in dry climates when traction is needed) jack stands, some blocks of wood. There is way more but it all takes space. Most all stuff I listed are bring along things. If its a normal cab then a canopy is needed to put the stuff under.

I live in a big state with a lot of very remote areas and hobbies frequently take me into those places. This means I will sometimes replace items before they've fully failed. As an example, I put a new starter on an older fishing truck based on the tired performance of the previous one. It was $80 for a solid brand and it seemed like cheap insurance. I did a fuel pump for the same reason.

Here's a running list I keep in my head on what components, if they fail, would leave me in a tough spot.

Battery
Fuel Pump
Alternator
Starter

What else would you put on the list? If something seems okay, do you roll the dice and leave it? Or replace on a schedule before you're left high and dry?
What vehicle? Each vehicle has unique issues. I would say, if Asian, definitely battery, BETTER battery!

This is very vehicle specific. If your going way off the beaten path, replace the common items. For example my old Xterra, which has a pretty decent off road following, is known for a few different sensors having issues, so everyone swaps those, then carry's the old working ones as spares.

I agree with the fuel pump as well. Plastic radiator. Coolant hoses. Sealed wheel bearings - if there known to have problems.

This is good reading. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
It's all how far you wanna take it.

When I 'wheeled my Bronco a lot I carried a ton of spare parts:
-front and rear driveshafts
-front axles (rear was a full floater, failure extremely unlikely)
-alternator bolted to the ceiling (was just the best place to keep it)
-upper and lower rad hoses
-serp belt
-steering shaft (in case rag joint let go)
-TPS, MAP, voltage regulator and more I've forgotten
-fuel pump (had access hole in floor to replace on trail)
-lots of tools including a BJ press for servicing u-joints

My buddy carried a spare steering box somehow bolted to his front crossmember. That was a bit far even for me, but ironically one in our group snapped a sector shaft on Moab Rim. They bolted on his spare steering box and were rolling again!

Don’t bother except you can have a battery tested for performance. Carry a charged jumper pack beyond cables just in case.

Replacement parts a mixed bag unless you buy factory quality stuff or equivalent OEM supplied.

Getting truly stranded hard even outside cell range if you carry a recent smartphone with the satellite 911 services.

You should have a well-known means of communicating that you are stranded. If your cell phone is not up to the task then there are other electronic devices such as spot and a few others. On top of that, water, food, sleeping bag, and a good heavy reliable pistol. I remember reading one article about someone who landed his aircraft successfully in a wilderness and did not have a means of communicating where he was at. He was stranded there for a long time apparently, long enough that a bear found him and killed him.

On older vehicles there are things that become unreliable that can leave you stranded that would be pretty hard to repair such as a component in the transmission, rear end, CV joint, fuel pump, and probably a couple others.

Back