Proactive replacement to avoid stranding?

Depends how old the car is. Age makes a big difference IMO.

Having a 200k mile car that's 25 years old, might want to be more proactive on some of that stuff if you drive it long distances. Having a 200k mile car that's 6-7 years old, I wouldn't be worried at all.

I also take this reliability or even more, self-repair ability seriously. Here are things/cheap things I have learned to carry to prevent stranding. I keep all this in the spare tire compartment of sedaans,or under-boards “basement” in my SUV or wagon. I keep a cheap ELM327 OBD unit in the glovebox and an OBDII reading app on my phone.

- I buy two extra OE coils. I get them cheaply off low-mile wrecks from salvage yards. Even on ebay they are about $15 each, so it’s cheap insurance.
- I keep my next pair of windshield wipers
- Last used alternator belt or other serpentine engine belts as emergency.
- One or two of the last used set of spark plugs.
- Oil filter for next service.
- Tire repair kit and can of inflator/fix-a-flat

Over the years a couple of these items have made the difference between getting home an hour late and spending the night in a motel far from home and expensive wait, or limping home tensely.

This is a long list and with extras I feel should be considered given the OP's request and situation.

After recently going through 3 alternators from AutoZone and NAPA, ending up with the OE from Rock Auto....I'll never buy a reman or new aftermarket again.

If I lived in an area like the OP and/or remote hostile environment, and didn't want to be stranded, my list would on a vehicle with over 90K miles and 7-8 years old, or maybe any vehcle...

Replace:

Alternator, battery, starter, plugs, water pump, hoses and belts, thermostat, idler pulleys O2 sensors, wiper blades, maybe even fuel pump.

What I would keep in the vehicle:

Spare serpentine belt or V-belt

A few feet of various vacuum hoses, heater hose with double end hose barbs for quick repair or bypass, hose clamps.

Spare key/keyfob hidden somewhere
Jumper cables and portable jump start pack
Ignition coil
Case of water, jug of coolant
Headlight bulbs
Spare alternator (pricey part to keep on hand though)
Tire plug kit
12V inflator/high volume hand pump
One set of lugnuts/or just know to remove 1 from each wheel if you lose them during a changeout.

Large pack of zip ties
Very bright flashlight with strobe feature
Head mounted flashlight.
Bungee cords to hold your bumper cover up when you crush an icy snow bank
Recovery strap
Fuses/relays

Solid state relays and these I generally grab from a boneyard for cheap.

Toolkit to replace above parts on side of road including breaker bar, inside and outside torx bits, ratcheting wrenches, picks, side cutters.

Jack stand with a double-thick 3/4" plywood base large enough to cover jack stand feet for uneven or loose surface, also doubles as base for jack.

A bit overkill? Maybe not...but all of those things doesn't take up a whole lot of room. I would carry all of that if I had to travel a long way, in very cold weather and/or long distances over desolate areas.

A large bag of survival gear is another topic.

Last edited:
I had a prius that turtled itself after misfiring on one coil-on-plug for only a couple of seconds. It quit all ICE activity and gave me 1/2 mile on battery before parking itself. Having experienced that, I started carrying spares, and was able to help my cousin when his Scion COP went bad.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I don't believe in fixing things that aren't broken. Be meticulous about maintaining your vehicles and pay attention to how they are performing. You are throwing away perfectly good parts that have a proven record with those with less creditability.

I don`t know how it is in USA but here i my country towing and road side assistance is heavily discounted through insurance and me even being a member of a national car owners club i have few "free" road side assistances at my disposal. So in a way i`m not worried about being stranded as i`m almost guaranteed assistance in any part of the country, abroad too actually. Thus meaning if my car breaks down it will be towed to a nearest garage for repairs.
I`ve had some cars in my life, older cars and general junk. I`ve never replaced either starter, alternator or even fuel pump on those.
But i know if you have decent battery, replace ignition parts like coil and plugs, change timing and serpentine belts and generaly service your vehicle like you should, you should not be to worried about being stranded. Unless you buy or have a dodgy car that show signs of failure.

Again, this is a tough question. I personally don’t believe in replacing good parts in general. DO YOUR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE! Change the oil and other fluids when needed. While you are doing your maintenance, use the opportunity to inspect belts, hoses, and suspension components. Listen for unusual sounds and check on the source if you hear something. Check for excessive heat. This can warn of failure of electrical and rotating components. Look for leaks. Know how your car behaves normally. A change is a warning of something going wrong.

Back