2005 CRV starter replacement - What else to do?

I dropped the starter off at the Auto Electric place on Tuesday morning at 9:30. They called at 3:30 on the same day and said it was done. The brushes were completely shot so they replaced them and the drive, serviced the armature, and cleaned it up. Looks new and ready to go.
Saturday morning I’ll have time to put it back together.

Attachments

• IMG_6447.jpeg
    IMG_6447.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6446.jpeg
    IMG_6446.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 27
$140 Canadian, which is about $105USD. A new OEM starter was $1200CAD and rebuilt junk from Rockauto would be about $150 to get to me.

Whenever I’ve had them do alternators they always come back clean and painted - they do a nice job.
that's awesome you were able to find a place to rebuild your existing starter! I've heard with all the junk out there in the aftermarket your choice is the best. (y)

I had a bit of time today so replaced the thermostat housing and lower hose. The housing was an Aisin and comes with the thermostat integrated.

The attached pics show the current state of things, before the work today. I’ll be trying to out it all back together tomorrow. I’m a bit worried about remembering where all the hoses, etc…go but I’m sure I’ll manage.

What do folks use to clean out the intake?

Attachments

• IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6449.jpeg
    IMG_6449.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 16
I had a bit of time today so replaced the thermostat housing and lower hose. The housing was an Aisin and comes with the thermostat integrated.

The attached pics show the current state of things, before the work today. I’ll be trying to out it all back together tomorrow. I’m a bit worried about remembering where all the hoses, etc…go but I’m sure I’ll manage.

What do folks use to clean out the intake?
Was this an original Honda OEM thermostat? Hondas and Toyotas are extremely sensitive to non-OEM thermostats. Often, using an aftermarket thermostat in either will result in performance that is unlike how it came from the factory. For instance, slow to warm up in cold weather or reading high or low at operating temperature compared to OEM. I don't pre-emptively replace thermostats in Hondas or Toyotas unless it fails. Then, only dealer-sourced OEM goes back in.

As for cleaning the intake manifold, I use lots of carburetor cleaner, a toothbrush and rags, followed by compressed air.

Was this an original Honda OEM thermostat? Hondas and Toyotas are extremely sensitive to non-OEM thermostats. Often, using an aftermarket thermostat in either will result in performance that is unlike how it came from the factory. For instance, slow to warm up in cold weather or reading high or low at operating temperature compared to OEM. I don't pre-emptively replace thermostats in Hondas or Toyotas unless it fails. Then, only dealer-sourced OEM goes back in.

As for cleaning the intake manifold, I use lots of carburetor cleaner, a toothbrush and rags, followed by compressed air.
My understanding is Aisin makes the OEM part for this. I may be wrong but it's done and I'm not changing it now. Everything looked 100% identical, which I'll optimistically take as a good sign.

My understanding is Aisin makes the OEM part for this. I may be wrong but it's done and I'm not changing it now. Everything looked 100% identical, which I'll optimistically take as a good sign.
Hopefully it will work out OK in the CR-V. I have read that most Honda thermostats were either made by Nippon Thermostat Company (NTC) or Fuji Thompson which are not readily available through the U.S. aftermarket sellers.

Hopefully it will work out OK in the CR-V. I have read that most Honda thermostats were either made by Nippon Thermostat Company (NTC) or Fuji Thompson which are not readily available through the U.S. aftermarket sellers.
I suppose if I have problems it's at least a lot easier to get to than the starter. One thing I love about the CRV is that it heats up much faster than anything I've had before, though I've generally driven older vehicles.

Best option what you did. The parts likely cost half of what they charged, so about 50 usd for the labor, that is great. I got a place similar as well, with even better prices. It will be way better than the out of country rebuilds that the auto parts places likely get.
If its a small outfit they will strive to keep their name clean and do top level work. But they still have to deal with crappy parts I would think. No one is free from that.

All done! It was a lot easier going back together than coming apart. The thing starts “strong” now. It’s clear that the old starter has been on the way out for several years.
thanks for the update!! awesome that they fixed it up perfectly. I remember the same reaction after I had the Civic's starter replaced (honda reman), was much "stronger" like you experienced.

I just used the Aisin in my mom's 07 CRV. Identical to OEM in behavior/performance. I did the starter on her car without pulling the intake manifold, but also replaced the radiator and thermostat. A little preventative maintenance. That factory thermostat housing was very brittle.

Final update (hopefully). I was getting a P1077 and could hear a hissing sound. It would continue for a few seconds after shutting it off. Seemed clear it was a vacuum issue, most likely me forgetting to hook something up.

It turned out to be a vacuum hose under the IMT valve that had come off sometime during the job. I actually couldn't get in there, as it was a very small space, but it only took 10 minutes or so to take things apart, connect it, and assemble again. You can see the culprit right under the electrical connector in this pic:

IMG_6457.jpg

Back