Replacing bad alternator in 2007 Honda CRV

I need to replace alternator on my 2007 Honda CRV. I am looking for some tips to perform the job most efficiently.

Also, I need buy to the replacement alternator locally and am pretty much down to a Carquest reman (140) or new (made in China) (200).

FWIW- My last alternator purchase for another vehicle was a Denso reman from RockAuto. That alternator failed in about 14 months. I have pretty much decided that all of the production rebuilds are a crapshoot and wonder if the new after market alternator (made in China) would be a better choice ? -Thanks

Last edited:
Once it’s reman the name on the box or sticker doesn’t matter. I try to get new if that’s not available I go to my local guy and he rebuilds it for me. Never cheap parts store one. I done an alternator on a car that was an 8 hour job the alternator was from Advance Auto and the alternator was bad out of the box I had to do the whole job over again for nothing I was so angry so no more reman parts store for me or any reman one.

Taking it to rebuilder is not an option for me as I need to get the car back on the road this weekend and an Advance Auto store is nearby and they have both in stock. So is one really better than the other ?

Look for a local rebuilder. I took my Jeep’s alternator and starter to one here in Phoenix and they give the option to either reman my own, which would cost more (the logistics of the whole thing) or they have others that they have hand rebuilt. Was affordable too.

See if a local rebuilder has one on the shelf.

What city/state are you in?

The rebuilder here can do it in about 2 hours. You bring it in the morning, ready by afternoon.
You still need to take it off and put it back on, though.

They may also have one in stock where you can just exchange it with their rebuilt part.
But at least, it is rebuild by somebody competent.

If you don't have the time, then get a new one not "rebuild auto part store" part.

I bought a used oem alternator for my 05 accord ($25) several years ago and it's still working great. That would be my recommendation. Aftermarket parts suck!

I haven't bought a new chinese alt but have had good luck with their starters.

I'm suspicious of the 200 amp rating, though. That screams there's some sort of ugly design compromise and/or marketing.

The closest local rebuilder does not currently have any of these alternators on the shelf and told me that it would take a day (meaning 2 20 mile trips) which I don't have time for (would require me to rent a car for a day or two). Based on the comments here, I should purchase the new one Advance Auto Parts offers vs their reman.

Back to the project - It appears that I need to remove the PS pump and possibly the serpentine belt tensioner assembly. Will there be enough clearance remove the alternator without removing anything else (radiator support etc ?). Anyone who has done this job please let let me know the best way to go about doing it.

-Thanks

Last edited:
Denso remans are still going to be way better than other remans or new from China. You just had poor luck on your Denso. They are usually the more reliable of the remans. I've never had a Denso reman alt go out on me even after over 100K miles on them. Buying the ones from the auto store is likely going to result in going back and redoing the job multiple times a year. They are stupidly terrible these days, where are years ago you could count on an aftermarket alt working fine. They just don't really exist these days, at least the cheaper ones from China.

Since the car store ones usually have a lifetime warranty, maybe get one of those for now to keep running, assuming the alternator is not too difficult. Then rebuild the Denso yourself, which if it is only the brushes or any of the other parts on that end of the alt (not the bearing side which is more difficult) then they are super easy to replace yourself. Usually the only thing that goes out on the Denso units are the brushes, slip rings, or diodes. When your aftermarket auto parts store one dies, you can swap over the rebuilt one and take the bad one back for a refund.

@MrPlow -Good idea. The core charge on the new one is only $5. I hear you and everyone else about the parts store alternators (reman and new aftermarket from China). I am also looking in to renting a car for day or two for a reasonable rate and getting the alternator rebuilt locally (my preference) or order a Denso via Amazon Prime. I don't want to have another disruption in use of the vehicle and have to repeat the job due to using an inferior quality part.

Last edited:
Back