Advice needed on Denso remanufactured Alternators.

If it's sold as a DENSO, they are the ones who rebuilt it or at least have a facility that rebuilds it to their specs. Bosch rebuilds their own alternators at a facility in Michigan, as I recall.
Denso has a plant in Murrieta/Temecula, CA. AFAIK, they do replace bearings, at least in the one I’ve tore down.

Denso has a plant in Murrieta/Temecula, CA. AFAIK, they do replace bearings, at least in the one I’ve tore down.
What I wanted to emphasize is the remanufactured unit is in a Denso or Bosch or Motorcraft box, it was rebuilt by those companies or rebuilt by a contracted company to their specs. Parts store remanufactured units might all be rebuilt by 1-2 companies to a quality spec they choose. If that's good enough for the parts stores, so be it.

What I wanted to emphasize is the remanufactured unit is in a Denso or Bosch or Motorcraft box, it was rebuilt by those companies or rebuilt by a contracted company to their specs. Parts store remanufactured units might all be rebuilt by 1-2 companies to a quality spec they choose. If that's good enough for the parts stores, so be it.
IME, I had to replace a ACDelco reman that was done by Remy. It was junk - but it was an original Delco-Remy alt/starter it might have been a bit better. Bosch and Denso do their own remans, dunno about Motorcraft. The rest seem to be from BBB or Remy, which AFAIK is one and the same now.

Over the last 2-ish years, my shop has transitioned from using a local rebuilder for our starter/alternator needs to using Denso reman's sourced from WorldPac whenever possible.

The vast majority of units I receive are reman'd here in the US, specifically at a facility in Long Beach. We've seen VERY few failures.

Question: is the failed alternator covered in oil due to a leaking VCM solenoid gasket? If so, make sure to repair the leak. The Denso units come with a big red warning card in the box stating reminding the installer that there's no warranty for oil intrusion.
Haven't had any issues with the reman Denso alternators. Their starters have been less reliable though.

Believe it or not - a NEW TYC on rockauto is a solid performer and priced probably 1/2 of that reman unit. I have used several and no issues over the past 3-4 yrs I have installed them.

So you pre-purchase auto parts in anticipation of future failure?

I can only think of a few cases for that, like plastic pressurized coolant overflow tanks (unless you are OK going to the store for an overpriced Dorman that will fail in a year). I certainly wouldn't keep a spare alternator around unless I bought one for $10 used off of someone (I had that happen, it was too cheap to pass up) or it was your old one that you repaired.

No, you buy what is the best available (to each his/her own) at the time. Stockpiling random parts would be silly.

Correct, I pre-purchase certain OE parts that will fail at some point in the vehicle's life before they are discontinued. Another example is an OE intake manifold for my Ford 4.6L before Ford discontinues them and all I'm left with is aftermarket junk. This is definitely a "to each, their own" situation and not for everyone; but I have the storage space, and have done this quite a few times because I intend on keeping a vehicle for a very long time. It has always paid off, and I would rather do this than deal with a major headache down the road with junk parts that aren't worth the raw materials they are made of.

$188 +shipping & tax, but it's really closer to $202 total with one of the various RA 5% off coupon codes floating around the web. Obviously this is vehicle specific, is just a contrast to the compatible reman part I bought at Advance AP years back.

While I have praised Bosch's new line of alternators before, that was short lived and it is worth mentioning that this is probably only a good option if Bosch is the OE developer/supplier and puts the unit together without outsourcing. I have purchased a Bosch AL7554N alternator from their "New" line and experienced voltage regulator failure a couple of months into service.

The regulator on there was a Chinese USI unit, same as Transpo garbage you can buy online. I replaced it with an Israeli-made Taditel unit and just looking at the differences in the heat sinks was enough to make a statement.

Attachments

• PSX_20230402_160516.jpg
    PSX_20230402_160516.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 39
  • PSX_20230402_160639.jpg
    PSX_20230402_160639.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 39
  • PSX_20230402_160714.jpg
    PSX_20230402_160714.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 38
  • PSX_20230402_160748.jpg
    PSX_20230402_160748.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 37
  • PSX_20230402_160819.jpg
    PSX_20230402_160819.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 38
Sorry to hear about Bosch. The alternator and fuel pump on my 1st '88 528e were kept as spares when I retired it due to rust at 350K miles. AL 499X? I bought an after mkt brushes/ regulator for 10$ at about 250 kMile. Here comes my new perrenial question : What did Toyota use in the 2016 Camry? :cool:

Back