2007 Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2007 Ford Fusion with the FRN5 Transmission. I am not happy with shift quality. I did a "flush" and filter change with Motorcraft FRN5 fluid. I do not care about cost. Should I try Mobil One Full Syn. ATF or Castrol Muilt ATF or just stick with Motorcraft? Is the Mobile One fluid better than the MotorCraft brand?

Thanks

Last edited:
The transmission may need time to "adjust" to the new fluid if you just did the flush/filter change. Also, check for TSB's related to shifting concerns for the Fusions. I know the A/W F21 6 spd equipped Fusions had some TSB's related to harsh shifting that involved a PCM re-flash..

Outside of that, if the fluid you use calls out compatibility with the fluid spec for your trans, then you should be OK..

6 speed uses different fluid and is a Aisin.

5 speed FNR5 is made by Mazda, there was at least 1 flash done by the factory for my Mazda 6 (shorter Ford Fusion) so I'd check with your dealer. Also try resetting your computer (unplug battery for 15 minutes, pump brakes, reconnect) to make it re-learn.

Thanks, Already reflashed. It shifts very hard from 1st to 2nd. The colder it gets the worse it gets. I think next time I will try Mobile One ATF.

NO!!! go Amsoil! I have it and the cold shifting only happens the first two 1-2 shifts when it is in the 20s. Also, you should be starting out in 2nd when really cold and 2-3 is problem free. I use the bump shift and keep it at 2k and under 2.5k until the needle starts moving.

Might try that but when I say cold I mean when you first start the engine. Even if it is 80 outside that first shift is harsh. In fact all gears are harsh about half the time.

Thanks

Did you ever get rid of the odor? Last time you posted on your tranny I mentioned I was using M1 ATF and it works well. Because it's a five speed there is a quick shift at low MPH, but I don't notice it being a problem or too harsh. In fact my tranny upshifts and down shifts great. My 07 Fusion has a drain plug so I did two fill and drains the same day. By the way, M1 ATF is compatable with the FNR5 tranny.

Yes even hot days the FIRST 1-2 is a bit funky but it's never harsh... hmmm have you checked all your engine and transmission mounts?

Yes, they look good. It was so harsh one day I thought I had been hit! I thinks its the torque converter myself....

Yea that's not normal at all. I'd take it in asap. I'm at 60K and I've only had 1 transmission issue but thet's just me catching it off guard. If you coast down to a low speed then gun it it'll slam into the lower gear (like when you catch it when it's doing the smooth 3-1 shift).

Update: I was about 20oz over fill. Drained it and it shifts a lot better now. It was hard to believe 20oz made such a differance. This trans must be touchy to fill level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back