Ford fusion 2.0 AWD Fluids Change Recommendation

Happy 4th everyone! My Fusion has 88k and runs perfectly, Ford recommends changing Transmission fluid and front and rear Differential fluids at 150k. One of the Ford experts on youtube (FordTechMakuloco) who I respect very much recommends 30k intervals. Obviously, I'm well past that mileage now but would like some other opinions, especially from Ford owners. Thanks.

I’d change it. I did the 6F35 in my Escape every 30k and despite beating on it and demanding a lot from it on a frequent basis, and add in some towing, I had no transmission trouble when I sold the vehicle at about 130K. That’s not a ton of miles but at 60K when I bought it the factory fluid was NASTY. and plenty of people have had 6F35 failures at under 130K. I suspect most of them would live a long, happy life if serviced frequently. If you don’t beat on the car I’d say 60K is a reasonable ATF service interval. In your case, I’d do the transfer case/PTU fluid at the same time. You’re already at 80K so just do it now and do it again at the 150K mark when recommended.

Change them (now). I think 30k is pretty low but there's no harm other than to your wallet and time. Ford/Motorcraft has some licensed ATFs so you're not limited to Motorcraft LV ATF. You can use SuperTech LV ATF, Castrol Full Synthetic ATF, and I think Pennzoil has one. The first 3 are easy to find in stores while I've never seen Pennzoil ATF in person.

Our Fusion isn't AWD so I have no experience with changing the diff fluids. Your car also has a PTU which I believe Ford actually has a much lower change interval (around 30k maybe). Diff fluids just use basic gear oil in most cases, but confirm for your car. You can use store-brand gear oil, Valvoline, etc with no real concern.

I have a 2015 Fusion. Changing the PTU fluid is fairly easy. I do it every 45k, along with my rear diff. The PTU has a drain and fill plug and it takes about half a quart of 75W-140. I change my every 15k, which is every other oil change for me since I do 7500 oci. No issues with my transmission and its getting close to 200k. I know it sounds like overkill but it doesnt take long and costs about $20 in trans oil.

My fluid change intervals:
Oil: 7500 oci
Trans fluid: 15k
PTU and RDU: 45k
Coolant: 90k, then 45k going forward

I have a 2015 Fusion. Changing the PTU fluid is fairly easy. I do it every 45k, along with my rear diff. The PTU has a drain and fill plug and it takes about half a quart of 75W-140. I change my every 15k, which is every other oil change for me since I do 7500 oci. No issues with my transmission and its getting close to 200k. I know it sounds like overkill but it doesnt take long and costs about $20 in trans oil.

My fluid change intervals:
Oil: 7500 oci
Trans fluid: 15k
PTU and RDU: 45k
Coolant: 90k, then 45k going forward
I checked my Owners Manual, the PTU only takes 11.8 ounces! I find that hard to believe since it does most of the work, from what I've read. When you change yours how does the fluid look?

The PTU doesnt look bad. It was definitely darker than new fluid but it wasnt bad. I have UOA done on the PTU posted on here. Same with the RDU. The transmission fluid gets dark, but doing it so often, it doesnt get very dark. Doing a drain and fill only get about 4-4.5 quarts out and it has about a 9 qt capacity.

I had a 2011 Fusion and changed the trans every 75-100k. The Ford 6F35 Gen 1 units were well known for issues with the valve body bores wearing out and the transmission subsequently having shift issues between one and two or two and three or sometimes reverse. After talking with a few mechanics when I had my Fusion most of the 6f35 units that failed before 150k were caused by this issue.

I got to 324k before mine but the dust and it was the valve body issue that did it.

2018 Ford Edge AWD. Had the Ford shop change the PTU fluid three months ago just to document I'm keeping up with the warranty schedule although I think the Owner's Manual doesn't require changing this. I too follow FordTechMakULoco and he's dead on about changing this. My vehicle is just shy of 40K and I'll be changing the ATF this fall. The way the engineers tucked the PTU next to the cat and trans w/o a heat shield makes me question their sanity.

Not going to bash Ford anymore, no need. This is my last one.

Fusion? Pre-2019? I wouldn't worry about it. Short blocks gonna break/crack soon and start squirting coolant into cylinder 2. Ask me how I know.......

Thanks! I really appreciate your help........
I’m pretty sure it’s the 2017-19s that have that problem. Ford made additional slits in the block for increased coolant flow and it led to a lot of failures. FordTechMakeULoco did a video on it. They have since fixed it but this is not an issue prior to 2017. @Hall can probably back up that claim, as he is also part of the 2gfusion forum.

Back