2007 Accord 2.4L - Valvetrain Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle had 102k - prior oil change history (up until the 98k mark) was every 4-5k using Mobil or Pennzoil conventional 5w-20. The cover was removed because I did a valve adjustment on the engine.

The engine consumes approximately 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I noticed that there was a small amount of black grit/dried carbon underneath the camshaft area....not sure what that is from.

From 98k to 102k, the engine had Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. The oil that I drained was very dark...compared to the 5000 mile old conventional that I had previously drained out.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

(Note: pictures were taken on different days.)

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Very cool! We're any valves out of spec?

All of the intake valves were a bit loose and some of the exhaust valves were a bit tight. I set the intake valves to a "tight" 0.009" and the exhaust valves to 0.0012".

Last edited:
Looks good - thanks for the pics
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I don't like the wear marks on the cam lobes.

Most 2.4s look like that.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Hkp they look normal to me....? What are we comparing to?

Also critic do you have a pic of the underside of the valve cover?

It looked normal to me as well.

underside of the valve cover was your typical brown/dark brown stain. Gaskets were all pliable though.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Vehicle had 102k - prior oil change history (up until the 98k mark) was every 4-5k using Mobil or Pennzoil conventional 5w-20. The cover was removed because I did a valve adjustment on the engine.

1 )Looks like to me the 5W-20 minerals had caused permanent damage to the :

a )All single cam-lobes (inlet?) of all 4 cylinders, and

b )the 2 cam-lobes (exhaust?) of Cylinder No 2.

The 6 cam-lobes has very clear and wide rubbing marks around the lobes that had overheated to a

very high local temperatures as witnessed by gold yellowish stains then progressively to light

blue burning marks , further overheated to dark blue/grey dark colored marks.

The engine consumes approximately 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles.

2 )I interprete it as likely caused by (1) above and stucked piston rings . However the oil

leaks could also be other reasons like mal-functioning valve seals etc.

I noticed that there was a small amount of black grit/dried carbon
underneath the camshaft area....not sure what that is from.

3 )From your description in bold , those are after-effects of excessively high local component

surface temperatures probably caused by (1) above.

From 98k to 102k, the engine had Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. The oil that I drained was very dark...compared to the 5000 mile old conventional that I had previously drained out.

(Note: pictures were taken on different days.)

4 )Very-very dark used drain oils means very-very good for the engine health , I believe, as

higher amounts of combustion contaminants had been removed from the system.

It indicates 4K synthetic Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 works harder and more effective in removing

contaminants/sludge from engine component surfaces than a 5K mineral oils.

5 )minor shades of light sludge/heavy varnish ,despite use of (high-detergent ?) full synthetics

Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 for 4K miles, can still be found around most of the bolt heads of the 10 cam

bearing caps on both DOHC camshafts.

Just my 2 cents.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Here's another Honda engine after having Mobil 1 since day 1 . . .

Civic-1.jpg

ValveLash.jpg

2l-1.jpg

+1

Nice cam roller followers ..

Mileage ??

where I am from Honda accords are considered expensive vehicles, and the local Honda dealers only use synthetics in these engines.
Looking at your valves, I think they are alright, however given a toss up between merk's valve train pics of the same engine, I much prefer merk's pics, and I want my engine to look like that too. But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
With 5k OCI ?

Somewhere around there yeah.

That engine looks great with Mobil 1
smile.gif

How many total miles are on the engine?

Critic, that K24 looks just like my K24 did, and like mot others do. The wear marks on the cam lobes are very normal. This engine uses all roller followers, and that's just the wear pattern that they produce.

That K24 should easily run another 102k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back