2007 Accord 2.4L Valve Cover Photos - 45k miles of synthetic oil

Wait, I need some clarification...

The second pic from 2020 is AFTER the Blue Restore was added into the mix, in an effort to clean up the GOLD color??? 🤔
Correct, 2020 pictures were from after Restore had been in-use. The Restore was added to resolve oil consumption, not for the clean-up of varnish.

Correct, 2020 pictures were from after Restore had been in-use. The Restore was added to resolve oil consumption, not for the clean-up of varnish.
I guess if oil consumption does improve after running the restore for a while, then you can safely assume that while the engine looked really clean, the rings didn't stay particularly clean with the conventional oil.

If it makes no difference...then it will be inconclusive whether synthetic oil would have reduced wear of rings or valve guides or anything that could cause oil usage.

My family had a 2010 Taurus that went 240k miles on 3k conventional oil changes, 99% highway driving. When the water pump failed ($3000 repair), it got sold to a tech that I'm friends with, and he fixed it. The timing chains were completely worn out and ready to jump. The engine was clean as new inside, which makes me wonder if synthetic oil at slightly longer intervals would have helped the chains to last a reasonable time.

One person on here said I should be happy with 240k miles out of the chains, but considering it was all easy highway driving, it shouldn't have worn out that fast.

Barring outright neglect, I've yet to see much of anything beyond speculation regarding oil having to do anything to do with chain life.

Barring outright neglect, I've yet to see much of anything beyond speculation regarding oil having to do anything to do with chain life.
In theory, better lubrication protection from synthetic oil should help extend the life, assuming the chain isn’t getting stretched with age all on its own, causing increased noise and a need for repair.

A highway cruiser should last way longer, in my opinion though. Come on, man.

I guess if oil consumption does improve after running the restore for a while, then you can safely assume that while the engine looked really clean, the rings didn't stay particularly clean with the conventional oil.

If it makes no difference...then it will be inconclusive whether synthetic oil would have reduced wear of rings or valve guides or anything that could cause oil usage.

My family had a 2010 Taurus that went 240k miles on 3k conventional oil changes, 99% highway driving. When the water pump failed ($3000 repair), it got sold to a tech that I'm friends with, and he fixed it. The timing chains were completely worn out and ready to jump. The engine was clean as new inside, which makes me wonder if synthetic oil at slightly longer intervals would have helped the chains to last a reasonable time.

One person on here said I should be happy with 240k miles out of the chains, but considering it was all easy highway driving, it shouldn't have worn out that fast.
I've read somewhere that the timing chain in a 2010 3.5L was a single row and was doubled after that year so maybe that's why they doubled it since the single row seems to wear out faster. They also improved the water pump.

Back