2006 Rav4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not want to hijack one of the maxlife threads, so here is my question.

Car currently has about 110k on it. I have done a yearly drain and fill (4qts or so) with OEM WS fluid the last 4 years. This time around I was thinking of having the whole system drained and going with a higher quality fluid. I switched both my 5spd & 6spd VW's over to MTF's from Ravenol. They seem to make a suitable substitute for WS (JWS3324.) Thoughts?

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/transmission-fluid/atf-fluid-ravenol-t-ws-lifetime-fluid/

Ravenol products are Tier 1. I have no experience with this exact spec. Made in Germany!

Viel Glück

From the way that link reads it's not officially certified by Toyota but that is meets the specification. Just so there is no confusion.

IMO OE fluids are generally built to a good standard but with overall cost in mind and just about any synthetic out there that meets the requirements of the specifications for your transmission will serve you well when changed on time. Both OE or aftermarket.

There are lots of folks that go their entire life on Toyota fluid without changing it so even using OE fluid changed regularly will give you even better protection.

There is no need to exotic oils but if you want to use Ravenol I would say it's an oil that will do the job well from what we have seen here with their other fluids.

Last edited:
I've had no ill effects using their products in both of my VW's engine, transmission & braking systems. Figured I'd give it a go and see how it works.

Originally Posted by ianj3vr6
I've had no ill effects using their products in both of my VW's engine, transmission & braking systems. Figured I'd give it a go and see how it works.

Do a follow-up here and let us know how it works... Not sure we've seen it used in a Toyota before.
thumbsup2.gif

It shouldn't hurt at all. Hopefully price is competitive with the WS fluid. Is the Rav AWD or FWD? It might be a good idea to drop the pan and replace the trans filter.

Her car has the 2AZ lump with 4wd. I've been good about doing just a drain and fill (4qts) once a year. I did the filter 3 yrs ago and I plan on doing a new one this go round. It looks like the whole system will take between 11-12qts. I then would like to re-service the transfer case and rear diff appropriately as well.

Stick with OEM fluids only XOM/Aisin know the chemistry for these fluids.
There are many synthetics out there but non being synthetic WS/T-IV will still outpace the synthetic fluids because they are designed for one and only application (their transmissions).

I had the same 4 speed for 11 years in my Highlander. It never mattered what fluid was in it, Mobil 1, castrol IMV, toyota T-IV or WS. It always shifted the same. So I guess I don't really see the benefit to using a botique oil in this transmission, unless you do something way outside what it was designed for like towing.

I don't get the recommendation to use only OEM in this application, there is absolutely nothing unique about this transmission which was specd for T-IV and then WS with no changes. One benefit to having a transmission designed before OEM specific fluids became the norm is being able to run non-oem fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Stick with OEM fluids only XOM/Aisin know the chemistry for these fluids.
There are many synthetics out there but non being synthetic WS/T-IV will still outpace the synthetic fluids because they are designed for one and only application (their transmissions).

Except WS is specified in the prius transmission (basically a planetary gear set) WS 'designed' for that too?

Toyota puts in a suitable fluid, not 'the best' fluid

Maxlife is suitable as is WS

Last edited:
Unless you're towing or driving up mountains on a regular basis, I don't think you'll see any difference between using draining and filling with fancy fluid and never changing the fluid again.

What you've done until now was a good maintenance plan. The WS you have in there right now is still good for a couple of more years. If you still have the Rav4 in two years I would change it out with the Ravenol, Amsoil, or MaxLife etc and another filter change. Let the fluid that's in there now do it's work, if not I would say you've wasted your money.

I suppose draining and filling with OE WS once a year and a new filter every other year will keep things just as happy. Seems like a reasonable plan to me. Car does not see any towing, but does see loaded trips out to WV mtns for family and skiing. If i do go the Ravenol route i'll try and get a VOA and UOA for future reference.

drain and fill with WS every year is massive overkill.

This is a life of the transmission fluid which I take the mean >100K miles. I did two drain and refills in my tacoma at 80K miles and the fluid looked very good. No burnt smell or brown color. I'm not going to drain and fill every 30K.

Many stories of original WS fill going 200K miles on daily drivers that don't tow.

There is one member on here that has 300K on his WS fluid. The transmission is slipping a bit but still operating fine otherwise.

Originally Posted by StevieC
The transmission is slipping a bit but still operating fine otherwise.

Uhhhhhh.... then it's not operating fine. Did you eat a few too many of the newly-legal gummies
lol.gif

I have 187K on my Highlander and exclusively T-IV, never dropped the pan and D&F after doing a full flush via return line at 60K.
Also the older transmissions are more tolerant to non-OEM fluids (especially the 4 and 5 speeds, though not a risk worth taking on my part) but these new 6/8 gear sets are very finicky with non-WS fluids.

IMO, its a gamble worth not taking. And D&F for 30K on T-IV and D&F for 60K on WS will keep them running forever

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by StevieC
The transmission is slipping a bit but still operating fine otherwise.

Uhhhhhh.... then it's not operating fine. Did you eat a few too many of the newly-legal gummies
lol.gif

I have 370,000 miles on the RAV4 with T-IV and exchanged 3 quarts over 100,000 miles ago. That's all it's been serviced. And yeah, it slips a tiny bit first thing in the morning when it's cold outside for the first half mile and then it behaves. It does clunk a little sometimes if you are on the gas and let off it real quick.

I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable today and servicing my Camry ATF. Was going to use Maxlife but now MaximaGuy has me convinced to use WS and I don't have that fluid on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back