2004 Toyota PINK? antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a motor magazine article
anyone know what it is?

The 1.5L four-cylinder engine develops 76 hp (up from 70), and its cooling system has a new Toyota pink antifreeze/coolant, recommended for a 100,000-mile replacement and at 50,000-mile intervals after that. This is based on maintaining a topped-up system, of course. You'll also find this new coolant on many other 2004 Toyota/ Lexus products. Can't tell pink from red, the conventional Toyota antifreeze color? Check the owner's manual.

So its a 50,000 mile fluid as opposed to 30,000? Any idea how long between changes you could go? I'm interested in finding out more abot it as well.

It looks red but if you place it side side with ATF the ATF is a much deeper red. Why do I know that, I have a PS leak and I could not tell if coolant or ATF so had to do the test. Without the side by side it is tough to tell which fluid it is. Why they went with the pink/red is beyond me. That is why fluids are color coded, to avoid confusion when leaks develop.

Toyota corp (as well as the idiot dealer that put it in my Camry, OEM was the green stuff) both say that it is not compatibile with anything, the green the dexcool etc. they claim you are now stuck with Toyota red for top offs!

Toyota red and nissan green have the same componenet.
you can add regular gree af but you are adding silicates.
some radiator repair oganizations say silicates are Ok in japanese cars , but then they do not change water pumps, just the radiators.

quote:

Originally posted by Ed:
Essentially the same stuff as Prestone LongLife. It's a no silicate OAT formula.

IIRC, Toyota Red antifreeze is a no silicate/high phosphate formula.

I have a 95 Toyota Landcruiser and at 30K miles I flushed it and filled with regular old recycled already mixed ethlyene glycol antifreeze. I've done this every 30K miles and I now have 134K miles on this 9 year old LC and no cooling system problems. I think regular flushes and new antifreeze seem to be the key to long trouble free cooling system life. JMHO PS buy the recycled stuff it is just as good and also good for the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back