2004 Honda Accord review, I-4, 5-manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently eclipsed 110,000 miles and 8+ years of ownership in my '04 Honda Accord Ex I-4 5-manual, purchased new in late November 2004 with 36 miles on the odometer, and thought I'd post a review. At the time of purchase the 7th gen Accord was considered at or near the top of the mid-size segment by many in the automotive press after successfully targeting the highly regarded VW Passat, which had set the bar for performance, interior comfort and quality, and handling.

This was my second new car purchase, having stepped into a Mazda Protege 5-manual in 1992 upon graduating from College. I kept the Protege for 7 years and 100,000 miles, deciding to sell it in favor of a private party 1992 Nissan Maxima 5-manual with 107,000 miles on it. In retrospect, I should have ignored the itch and kept the Mazda. I liked the Nissan's smooth V6 and relatively luxurious interior, but I failed in my due diligence before purchase, and it cost me in the end-new brakes, tires, rotors, exhaust, and coils were necessary in short order, and it was the latter, the coils, misdiagnosed at a Nissan dealership where I spent nearly an entire afternoon, which spurred me to become more mechanically conversant. Eventually the learning process led me to Bitog. Now I do most preventive maintenance myself-oil changes, tire rotations, brakes and rotors, plugs, tranny and radiator flush and fills etc.

The first 40k of oil changes were with Kendall GT1 semi-syn , the next 40k Pennzoil Platinum, and since then PYB, Honda syn, Shell syn, and now back to Honda syn. All were 5w-20 except for the Honda sm oil which is 0w-20. Most OCI have been at or around 5k, the severe service interval, but I've been slowly extending the last 4-5 toward ~7200mi, with a few UOA to compliment. Oil filters were generic for the first 40k, Purolator Pureone or OEM thereafter.

When I drove the Accord home I initially missed the smoothness and punch of Nissan's V6, but over time the inline-4 won me over with it's economical and unobtrusive operation. The motor is peppy, smooth for a 4cyl, and bulletproof in terms of reliability. It moves forward like a fine Swiss watch. Unaware at the time the valves were chain driven, I now appreciate that maintenance-free gift. In my last 40,000 miles I've averaged an even 31 mpg, according to Fuelly, with 60/40 hwy/city driving. Aside from annoying cold weather clatter, the engine has been a gem.

The rest of the car has been likewise solid and reliable. Warranty work included replacing front passenger door weather stripping that caused an audible whistle at 40+ mph, a replacement Cat at 70,000 (my fault I suspect but no details to spare ridicule), a possessed sun-glass holder that popped open unexpectedly, and a radio circuit board at ~100,000 for which there was a tsb but just expired extended warranty. After negotiating with AHM I paid 50% of the cost, $176.00. I'm on my second set of tires, Michelin Primacy mxv4's, the original Michelin's having easily exceeded 70,000 miles. Rotors, brake pads, and 1 caliper have been replaced, along with brake fluid. The car has no rust despite being parked outside and exposed to the heavily salted roads of the NorthEast during Winter. It is washed regularly and waxed a minimum of twice a year with Klasse AIO and Sealant glaze. Last Summer I had a few door dings removed using PDR.

While the Miata is engaging to drive, the Honda is effortless. The steering is light but accurate, its only downside the hint of a dead spot on center and slight lack of road feel. It is an easy car to maneuver and tracks true on the highway. The ride might be considered firm for some but I like the sporty feel. Long trips are a breeze. The seats hold up well and do not cause fatigue. I'm 5'10” and 175lbs. Some have complained that the side bolsters are too narrow where the seat bottom meets the back of the chair, pinching the hindquarters. I don't have that problem but can see how it might be an issue.

The controls, like the steering, are light, accurate, precise. Operation is intuitive, the ergonomics, beyond reproach. The quality and attention to detail of the interior can be summed up using the cup holders as an example. They are perfectly placed and flawless in use, holding securely most cans, bottles and cups. And there are eight of these marvels in the cabin, all told.

I can't imagine a manual transmission being easier to operate. The throws are short and slick, the clutch, light, and though its engagement is rather vague, it is next to impossible to stall the engine using it. I have not done so in 8 years and I consider myself an average driver. Paired with the excellent 4-banger, the combo is about as close to perfection as I imagine you can get in a main stream mid-sized sedan. At the time you could get one for under $20k.

Still, there are nits to pick. The floor vents for the hvac are the weakest I've encountered. There is hardly a stir of heat, even with the fan on the highest setting, while topside it gets plenty warm in a hurry. The Miata's, by contrast, are excellent. Plenty of heat directly on the feet.

While I like the layout of the controls I'm not a huge fan of the multi-peice dash, especially the top, nor the hard plastics used for much of it. Aside from some road noise the interior is modestly hushed when rolling down the road, but I was disappointed that there were creaks and rattles when the car was new. In retrospect I took ownership during the coldest months of the year, and this is when the creaks and rattles were at their worst. I hardly notice anymore. In fact I can't remember the last time it bothered me. With warmer weather there is no issue.

The electroluminescent guages in the cockpit are great but the speedometer is cartoonish-big and clown-like. I'd rather the speedo and tach be the same size, like in the excellent TSX from that generation or the Miata. For the life of me I don't know why Honda refuses a 60/40 split for the rear seat. It folds down but only as one piece. At least it has a ski pass through. The trunk lid is hinged, so take care where you place the grocery bag with eggs. It is also uninsulated. While the doors close with a solid, 'thud', the trunk does so with the mechanical reassurance of a paper bat meeting a tin foil ball.

Then there is the exterior styling. While I don't find it offensive the overall package has the visual impact of a jellybean in a jellybean store...in a mall full of jellybean stores.

Has the collection of these nits given me pause, made me reconsider the purchase? Hardly. After 8 years and 110,000 miles I still look forward to driving the Accord. With each passing mile I grow more appreciative of Honda's excellence in engineering, from conception to execution-the thought, the effort, the attention to detail, that went into this car.

That's the mark of a great car in being fairly inexpensive to maintain and one you look forward to spending time in, even after 8 years and 110k miles.

I love our CR-V for many of the same reasons you seem to love your Accord. Easy to use, easy to maintain, fun to drive. Anything that keeps you coming back for more is something worth owning.

I have virtually the same vehicle minus the stick, a 2005 CR-V. The only thing that doesn't work after all these years and 178k is the tape deck, which I've bypassed with an aux-in cable. Original everything minus fluids, tires and brakes (original rotors, turned).

It will end up being the best car I've ever owned once said and done.

Nice review, it sure sounds like you have a winner! Honda engines and MT's are a great match. About the HVAC vents: have you replaced the cabin air filter?

I bought the same car new in 2004 and share many of your thoughts and comments. A few things I did that made it more enjoyable (and quick) were: short shift kit, Redline manual trans lube, AEM short ram intake, stainless exhaust header, catback system, a few electronics tricks for modifying air/fuel ratio, M1 0W20@ 3500 miles, and more.

It was without a doubt the best and most enjoyable car I've ever owned. I got a steady 25 mpg in town and 36 on the road at 80mph. The A/C was on 95+% of the time I owned it. My needs changed going to a RAV4 V-6 in 2009.

The Honda was unflappable but the RAV4? Well,uh, this is the first time in my 63 years that I bought a manufacturer's extended warranty for self defense.

Nice review.

I bought a 2002 I4 manual last summer and have put over 10,000 miles on it so far. Definitely a solid car. I look forward to driving it everyday.

202k on a Honda D16Y8 here. Probably about to extend the life for hopefully another couple years with a new timing belt service. It still performs like it did 10 years ago for the most part. I need to replace some of the exhaust and the rear trailing arm bushings are apparently shot, but those are items that simply wear out after 13 years. No reason to not think the motor will keep ticking and the auto trans works fine except a slightly harsh 1-2 shift for the first couple minutes on a cold day.

Great review. I feel the same way about my 05 with the 2.4L and 5MT. I now have 163,000 miles and it runs great.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
That's the mark of a great car in being fairly inexpensive to maintain and one you look forward to spending time in, even after 8 years and 110k miles.

Not to say I don't get the itch once in awhile, but it is an excellent car and it makes more fiscal sense to hold onto this for the long run.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Nice review, it sure sounds like you have a winner! Honda engines and MT's are a great match. About the HVAC vents: have you replaced the cabin air filter?

I replace the cabin filter yearly.

Originally Posted By: buster
Great review. I feel the same way about my 05 with the 2.4L and 5MT. I now have 163,000 miles and it runs great.

Buster, have you had to replace the coil packs yet, and do you have any issue with the floor vents in yours?

I'd be interested if anyone has adjusted the valves in this engine as that service is coming up and I'd like to do it myself. Would take pics of the valvetrain while I'm in there.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and Happy New Year!

Originally Posted By: k24a4
I'd be interested if anyone has adjusted the valves in this engine as that service is coming up and I'd like to do it myself. Would take pics of the valvetrain while I'm in there.

I have, in our CR-V. I did them at about 60,000, mostly to look under the cylinder head cover as much as anything else. It was easy to do...just had to let it sit overnight so everything was cold. One could do it in about 45 minutes to an hour. I took longer just because I like to look at that kind of stuff, and I wrote down all the before/after measurements for my records. Most of the valves were correct...one or two of the exhaust valves were just a tick loose so I tightened them.

In all, it's an easy and enjoyable procedure for a gearhead.

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Wow, thanks for that. Looks as clean as can be. Did you use Chilton's or the like for specs?

No, I have an account at Alldatadiy.com, so all of the factory service manual information is online for me. PM me if you'd like the details, if you don't already have them. My engine is technically a K24Z1, while I guess yours is the K24A4. Same basic 2-lobe i-VTEC valve train, same basic engine. I don't know if anything would be different from mine to yours.

I bought a new 2001 Civic Sedan with a 5 spd. I too had the problem with the weak floor vents...nearly froze my feet in that thing. Like mentioned here, plenty of heat through the dash vents and almost nothing though the floor vents regardless of the setting. Although the engine/tranny were typical Honda smooth and reliable and it would easily return upwards of 40 mpg on a highway run, many problems with the car led me to sell it after only one year (aforementioned heater issue, weak a/c, terrible "bouncy" rear suspension, etc.). I sold it to a young couple who are probably still driving it.

My wife has a 2006 Accord SE with 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed trans.
Typical Honda quality and kind of boring to drive.

But as long as its reliable we will keep it till it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back