2004 Ford explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these decent? my wife and I always used to call them exploders and never took them seriously but now I can get a realtively young one for around 10k. this is a 4wd 4.0 v6 and my wife will be using it to run the hills and mountain roads(alot of dirt roads)doing real estate and being a general wife car. THe jeep wrangler is about to be turned into a pure toy thus the need.

I believe they had some issues with ball joints wearing at around 40k miles on this version of the Explorer. I know there were issues with the '02 - '03. I would just have them checked.

I'm not a fan of independent rear suspension Explorers, but for a general purpose mid size SUV, you are not really going to do any better.

The 4.0 is a good engine. There was an issue with timing chain noise on them, but it was resolved in 2003. The 5R55E transmission is pretty good too.

thanks for the info guys. These can be had for a song and some change so they are attractive for their real world utility.

Good vehicles. Radiator replacement on these is going to be expensive. So just because of that type of common problem with plastic radiators cracking when they get old, it may be economical to go with an extended warranty. They are easy to work on if your a DIY. Look for signs on the vehicle you purchase that the previous owner took care of it. If you get a vehicle that was neglected you will end up with a bad opinion on Ford, when the real problem was the first owner got his money's worth by not putting anything into it and getting good money on the way out of it.

I was shopping for one last year. I did a lot of research. Most owners think very highly of them, the ones that don't seem to have had a bad experience with the dealer and that seemed to carry over to their opinion on the vehicle. They do ride very nice. The trailblazer is OK also. Explorer is better build quality, Trailblazer had solid rear axle and inline 6. The computer on the Trailblazer really does an injustice to the power that motor has to give. For that reason the v8 explorer is probably the best, as far as driving with full loads. For fuel economy the v6 explorer is great considering the weight of the vehicle.

Good to know. There are 3 potential purchases. 1 is a former POV that appears well cared for and was traded in for a lexus. ANother is a fleet vehicle with more mileage than the others but seems really clean. the third has a nice overall package but was a prior rental which kinda worries me. Of the 3 I feel the fleet vehicle as the highest potential for compliant maintenance. THe POV has a better interior (leather) while the rental has an interior color that my wife prefers.

I never considered them before b ut they are really a good value now.

The 4.6 is the one to buy, IMO. And I'm not saying that because of the power difference either.

Real world mileage is no different between then two; however, the 4.6 is a better engine in every other way. Longevity, NVH, serviceability, etc...

The 4.0 SOHC is no gem.

The 4.0 will do well, but if you drive both back to back I'll think you'll see what I am saying.

That is if engine "feel" is as important to you as it is to me. The 4.0 is a rough revver, but beyond a few issues with the timing chains when they first came out they seem decently reliable.

Originally Posted By: Rustyknife
the 4.0 is indestructable...I loathe the 5r55...seems at 100k miles the o/d servo bore wears out

I've never had any issues with my 5R44E, despite hard use. Lots of high RPM shifts and it's still like new.

The 4R55E in my old Explorer was great too. It had 158K miles on it when I sold it and no rebuilds or repairs. It didn't have a trans cooler either and was used to tow a boat on occasion.

The OD servo bore is an issue on some, but all in all the 4Rs and 5Rs are reliable transmissions, especially considering the maintenance most Explorers get (little to none).

I don't know how many times i've ran out of bushings in my o/d servo bore sleeve kit lol. The kit came with the bushings and tool to do the intermediate bore, but I've yet to see it needed.

They are money makers, but you couldnt run fast enough to give me a vehicle with a 5r55...never trust a tranny made by the french

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I bought a 2006 Eddy Baur with the v8. Much more refined.

Congrats on the purchase, and good choice!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh, and the 2006 Explorer V8 doesn't have the 5R55, so none of the above even applies to your vehicle.

You've got the new 6R60 6-speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Don't make me feel insecure now. It feels like a great purchase. 15900 cash. It is all mine.

You won't have much to worry about. Not sure what fees are included in that price, so that can account for a lot, if it has less then 24k miles then that is a good deal. If you have the third row seat, then you got the upgraded one they started using that year. All auto transmissions due to there complexity will have problems from time to time, regardless of who made them.

Looking forward to UOA and a full ride report after you put a few k miles on it. How do you like the inside door handles? They made me feel like I was in an airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back