2003 Toyota Tacoma 218,000 miles valve train pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2003 Tacoma and figured I would share some pictures. I purchased this vehicle with less than 5 miles on the odometer and it has had 10,000 mile oil changes since about 2000 miles on the clock. We have been using regular Mobil 1 5/30 since that factory fill was dumped. It now sits at just about 218,000 miles on the odometer. This is the first gasket change.

Notes:

1. Gasket has been leaking since about 195,000 miles with no make up oil as it showed a drop of less than a half quart in 10,000 miles.
2. Valve cover bolts were hand tight all the way around. This was due to the hardening of the gasket material.
3. Gasket material was like hard plastic and the spark plug gasket had to be pried out it was also hard plastic. I would say 150,000 miles they should be changed.
4. Cleaned the valve cover good as there was very little discoloration on the underside.
5. Use Beck Arnley gasket which was $27.
6. Replaced the plugs while I was there with NGK Iridiums and these will be replaced again at 300,000 miles. The plugs I took out had 60,000 miles on them with very little wear.
7. The gasket just started to weep at the spark plugs.
8. Oil will be changed in 1500 miles as this oil has 8500 miles on it.

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

Looks great!

That's basically how all the engines I've ever had on Mobil 1 looked. I sold a 99 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 to my secretary at 130k miles. Her husband ran it to 300k, still using Mobil 1 5w30, as I had done from the factory fill. Her nephew now has it and it is approaching 400,000 miles. They said it runs great and the valve train looked clean somewhere around 300k, when they replaced cover gaskets. The nephew continues to run M1. The truck is rusting out from under the engine, at this point, though.

Thanks! I was amazed at how clean it was and that no varnish was present. The gasket was frightening!

For the last 42 years that I have used M1 oils at 10K OCIs my engines have stayed clean like yours, and run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Thanks! I was amazed at how clean it was and that no varnish was present. The gasket was frightening!

Man that is very impressive.... Seriously impressive.

One of the best in terms of how really good those cam lobes look.

My first new truck was a '95 Tacoma with the 2.4l and I sold it with similar miles >210k and the only oil and filter combo up to the time I sold it was always PYB 5w30 and the Fram OCD at typical 5-6k OCI driving 75% highway. I can say my engine did not look as clean as yours as there was a heavy brownish red varnish color clearly visible on the cam shafts, casted sections, etc. No build up of thicker sludge, just severe discoloration. Still ran ok.

Appears you have a really well maintained engine by pictures alone.

Very clean with 218K miles and 10K oci
shocked2.gif

I may need to increase my oci. I use M1 EP in one car with 6-7K oci.

Thanks for the comments as I thought it would put some perspective on the use of oils and change intervals. I see no reason to change what is being done as far as the intervals go. Thanks to BITOG we all learn something. Back in the day I would have never considered 10,000 mile intervals until I came here.

Thanks for the comments as I thought it would put some perspective on the use of oils and change intervals. I see no reason to change what is being done as far as the intervals go. Thanks to BITOG we all learn something. Back in the day I would have never considered 10,000 mile intervals until I came here.

Me too. For my Tacoma 2.7, I surely have been wasting some of the M1 and M1EP oil by changing it at 7,500-8,000 miles. Especially considering the oil capacity of 5.5qt which is large for a 4-cylinder. It is clean inside and I am thinking about easing my way up to 9,000 and eventually 10,000 mile intervals. Toyota recommends 5,000 miles on conventional for this little truck, although nearly all Toyota engines are now running 10,000 mile intervals.
Thanks for posting the pics!

Thanks for the pics. My 01 Taco is coming up on 150k and although it has no leaks, I'll probably change the cover gasket along with some other things this spring. It'll be interesting to compare how clean it is with yours as I've changed the oil between 3000-3500 miles using only syn blend Valvoline or Castrol. Hasn't used/burned a drop of oil in it's life and I bought it new.

Originally Posted by DGXR

Me too. For my Tacoma 2.7, I surely have been wasting some of the M1 and M1EP oil by changing it at 7,500-8,000 miles. Especially considering the oil capacity of 5.5qt which is large for a 4-cylinder. It is clean inside and I am thinking about easing my way up to 9,000 and eventually 10,000 mile intervals. Toyota recommends 5,000 miles on conventional for this little truck, although nearly all Toyota engines are now running 10,000 mile intervals.
Thanks for posting the pics!

I wouldn't hesitate to run 10,000 at all. Blackstone just did an analysis on my 2014 and they recommended 12,000. I like 10,000 miles as its easy to remember.

Originally Posted by funflyer
Thanks for the pics. My 01 Taco is coming up on 150k and although it has no leaks, I'll probably change the cover gasket along with some other things this spring. It'll be interesting to compare how clean it is with yours as I've changed the oil between 3000-3500 miles using only syn blend Valvoline or Castrol. Hasn't used/burned a drop of oil in it's life and I bought it new.

I would definitely plan for the replacement gasket. For me it took about 4 hours taking my time to make sure everything was clean as I put back on. The hardest part is the rear passenger side bolt as you have to loosen the wire harness clips.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Awesome. Thanks for the pics. What oil filter are you using?

The majority of the time the regular Wix filter. Right now it has a Toyota filter on it. The Wix will be going back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back