2003 Toyota Camry Suspension Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: engineer20
what's an SAE size for a hex that might work for a 5 mm or 5.5 mm hex bit/allen key? thanks.

You shouldn't try that, it will just strip your hex bit and allen key after a few try. Camry shouldn't be SAE size anyways.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Nice hobby you have there, at least if you make a mistake you will not get people killed.

Why don't you just spend time in the yard instead of messing with your car until you becomes good at it?

They made a commercial about E20's thought process.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NYae3ZAAbLc

pb blaster or wd 40 penetrating oil? not regular wd 40, but the penetrating oil they make, or is pb blaster the best? the wd 40 products are only 3 dollars now at kmart, as a markdown, and pb blaster is 3.76 at walmart (rollback), so it costs a little more, I have a bottle of blaster, but used about half of it already, what should I get next, another can of blaster of wd 40 penetrating oil?

Buy the stuff they sell at Harbor Freight. Be sure to use the 20% off coupon.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's rusted on. You didn't kick it enough or hard enough. You might have to try to go from behind with a tire iron and try to pry on it.

So you're saying just reaching around and yanking on it repeatedly will result in a happy ending? Surely you've got to slather some lube on there?!

Do quick struts really save you money? The only part that wears out is the inner the gas-filled tube. Why not just buy these inner tubes and have them replaced at a cheap shop?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Do quick struts really save you money? The only part that wears out is the inner the gas-filled tube. Why not just buy these inner tubes and have them replaced at a cheap shop?

Yes, and also time. The strut mount does wear out, and the springs also sag over time. Plus the fact that you don't have to use a spring compressor.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

IMO, the answer is a definite "Maybe." The Camry (and Lexus clone) and Corollas are notorious for developing upper mount issues with aftermarket quick-struts. Reported frequently at ToyotaNation and ClubLexus. This happens with Moog, KYB, and the cheaper Chinese options now popping up.

If you are doing your own labor, it's not terribly if a) you saved your OE mounts, and b) don't mind tearing it down again six months later. Regardless if you are doing it or paying for it, on these cars I strongly recommend that if you are going quick strut, to remove remove and hold on to the OE upper mounts when the old parts are removed if they are not bad.

I got banned from a toyota dealer today. I made an appointment with Page Toyota Southfield today for them to do a multi point inspection and possibly a 14.95 oil change which they had, but when I came in today, they said they won't do the inspection for free without the oil change. I called in and made an appointment, and then, they said I'd have to do an oil change and it's now 29.95 and the 14.95 which they had for years is GONE now. I was like, fine, since they did a fine job at inspecting my car last time in August. I went in November, before closing time and they looked at my car for like 10 minutes, so that didn't count, but today, they were like no, and I was like, fine, but then I made a request to please leave the car running after they finish with the service and it's in the parking lot. It makes no sense and damages the starter, for them to start your car after their service, and then turn it off, and hand you the key, and then you turn on the car to leave the lot, that puts wear/tear on the vehicle with 2 start/stop cycles in such a short period of time. At Belle Tire, the other toyotas, the indy shops, I tell thme, to leave it running after i'm done, and they're like ok, but they argued with me and said no, what if the car is stolen, blah blah blah, and I told them it's cuz i odn't wnat to put extra wear/tear on my starter, as I was like, last year my starter went out and it was a nightmare. Instead of being nice and undersatnding, they were totla aye-holes about it and very ayn-nul about it and then I was like ok. And when I pulled my car in, the car was running. THen, I was like, wahtever, just do what you do and I said in a whiny, ppisssseed voice and I didn't swear or say any bad words, I was just like "so you're going to turn my car on and off twice so you can put wear and tear on my starter, resulting in my starter eventually going bad faster than it could've gone bad, so i can come back and have you replace my starter" I think they misunderstood me, there was a misundersatnding, they thought I meant they were going to cause damage to my starter and that wasn't my point, I meant, more wear and tear, I know it's hihgly unlikely starting/stopping in their lot twice will make my starter go out this instant, since it's a 90k junkyard starter that's still pretty strong and I got only half a year ago, and it's denso, BUT it puts wear and tear on it, and in the heat of the moment, I was cofused and didnt' know how to explain it, and then he was like "we're not gonna put in a starter for free"

they totally misundeerstood me, I edidn't mean that, i meant, they start/stop our vehicles and won't keep it running after it's done, (most places are OK with this and don't hand me the keys upon request and leave the keys running in the car when they're done, but these aye-holls had to do what they did, and then the service manager came out and said, we're not doing the oil change or inspecting your car, wnever come back, we're banning you, if you come back, regardless of paying, or anytying, we won't allow you to come back, if you come back, we won't do anything, and if we can't get you away, we'll call the authorities (police, presumably), they didn't call the police, I just left, but was kind of p-ed off at their treatment of me, and baning me just because of a daarrned start issue. dang...

i just wnated that toyota dealer's opinions on my struts and also that trans leak

i bought jb weld yesterday, was on sale at kmart for 4.29 vs 4.67 at walmart, so I got it at kmart, ready to jb weld this thing this weekend, as well as change some stabilizer links (don't have the bushings yet) and will do the bushings along with the rear struts (why not, they are free from monroe, they were already replaced at 111 and 128k, rear/front respsectively at a shop, and i sent monroe the shop recieitp and they said they'll send me the strut for free, i saksed the shop, they said it was the quickstrut, which is why i'm getting that, as tha's free and the regular strut,etc is not free and not warrantied, so i'm getting the quick, and I can diy the quickstrut. It's easy and with the quickstrut, I don't need to compress the spring, my spring indeed is saggy, so it doesn't hurt to replace it, and be all set for another 50-100k, but now, I need to maybe add more trans fluid, the trans is acting a little funny and isn't shifting smoothly, I will change the trans fluid soon (i said this spring, spring is basically already here) and will drop the pan (had earlier question on those 3 pan bolts), and I noticed a rough idle, last august, this toyota dealer recommended cleaning out the throttle body, which I'll do.

Also, i'm getting LOW mpg, so I'll change my spark plugs this weekend, will that improve my mpg by a lot? I"m getting mpgs in the teens and 20 if i'm lucky which isn't good for a camry, could it be the oxygen sensor? That's why I wanted this toyota dealer to inspect it, so they can see if it's the oxygen sensor either.

You had it coming long ago, for sure! You should have been banned from everything car related, including owning a car long ago. I don't even feel like owning, or working on a car from reading your worthless posts.
Pay to fix it right, or park it!

Last edited:
the nut behind the wheel is from the JUNKYARD car, not mINE, mine come off easily with a breaker bar, or with the cross lug wrench tool.

and that car was CRUSHED. last weekend, it was there, I planned to go after work during the workweek but on tuesday, it was crushed. last tuesday was monthly crushing day.

Originally Posted By: Traction
To the moderators out there. Is anybody home? This was an awesome forum years ago.

Yes....this nonsense has gone on long enough. He has been told what to do to repair his automoble but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

During your spare time, do you only drive around to random shops annoying them for free inspections and then post about how they screwed you over? If you act as strange in person as you do on here, I'm surprised more places besides that Toyota dealer haven't banned you. What repair shop would want the liability of dealing with your death trap vehicles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineer20
the nut behind the wheel is from the JUNKYARD car, not mINE, mine come off easily with a breaker bar, or with the cross lug wrench tool.

and that car was CRUSHED. last weekend, it was there, I planned to go after work during the workweek but on tuesday, it was crushed. last tuesday was monthly crushing day.

https://youtu.be/acI12jO0HSQ

BC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That toyota dealer sounds like a real [censored]. They should have at least offered to replace the nut behind the wheel.

Lol I bet the whole service dept was laughing in the back at E20 being so adamant about ONE extra start wearing out his starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back