2003 Lincoln Navigator, 5110 miles Schaeffer 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind, I just hesitate to hijack the thread or get any more OT than I did already. If enough closet Gauge-o-haulics chime in, I will. Otherwise, look to an upcoming issue of Four Wheeler magazine for more info.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I don't mind, I just hesitate to hijack the thread or get any more OT than I did already. If enough closet Gauge-o-haulics chime in, I will. Otherwise, look to an upcoming issue of Four Wheeler magazine for more info.

What month?

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

What month?

Unknown, but soon, I suspect. Stay tuned is all I can say.

Love the gauges, Jim. Can never know too much about what's going on inside the engine :)

All I can say is we are seeing the same things. I agree, in your situation, a 5W-20 is perfect. And, even in your situation, a 5W-30/40 or even thicker would probably show excellent results. Gotta love the 4.6/5.4. Great wearing V8's. In your case, I'd stick with what you're doing, it's working. That's excellent how cool that oil in the 5.4 ran hauling 6000+ pounds in 80+F heat.

Remember that my low gearing is skewing my oil temps down a little compared to the "average bear." It's not a huge amount, hence my desire to compare notes with other owners.

The thread seems thoroughly hijacked, so I'll risk listing the gauges:

Oil pressure, coolant temp, rear axle oil temp, trans oil temp, exhaust pyrometer, fuel pressure, exhaust backpressure, volts, and ambient air temp (measured at air filter element intake).

The Gryphon programmer can read things like engine oil temp, engine load, ignition timing, camshaft timing, rpm, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, trans temp, trans torque, throttle position, cylinder head temp, etc.... a whole bunch more stuff. You can set it to show four readouts and I usually have it set to rpm, instant fuel economy, engine oil temp and percent load (sometimes timing or camshaft timing). It also has three tune levels (four if you include stock), with tuning options for each to control shift points and firmenss, timing, fuel at WOT, redline rpm, top speed, as well as set the speedo to calibrate for gearing or tire changes. Great tool for someone who tinkers.

Hope the post patrol doesn't bust me here for being too far off topic for too long
( : < )

Last edited:
Wow, I'd love to have a set up like that. I'm highly curious, now... So I must ask (please forgive my continuous hijacking), what kind of temps does the rear end see, what oil does it have in it, and how long does it take to warm up compared to the transmission and engine oil? Always wondered about that.

Because you have to think... The rear end has a much smaller casing than a transmission (seems like that would make it heat up faster), and it also has MUCH less fluid than an automatic transmission, and still less than a manual.

On the other side, the rear end isn't seeing as much horsepower going through it as the transmission (the trans will eat a little up) and there's not as much 'pressure' like an engine or automatic transmission sees inside of them. Anyways, I await your answer, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back