2003 Grand Marquis / Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg

The car is a one owner car, 39,600 miles I paid $6700 out the door. It's in mint shape, no rust, no scratches, no dings, no rattles!

Great deal! It's a steal for that price.

I have a '96 Lincoln Town Car, same 4.6 as yours, and I have Motorcraft 5w-20 in there right now. Starting this car at 18 degrees, after sitting overnight, is as smooth as a summer start. It's hard to believe.

Best of luck with the car.

blueglide88,
Hey....you got a great deal on that car! Doesn't sound like they drove it much either.
Yes, you should get 23mpg pretty easily and 25 to 26 would not be uncommon....especially in the summer. You may even get better with synthetic fluids in the engine and differential. Just be sure to keep the tires inflated properly (I like them about a pound or two above).
There is a Crown Vic/Merc Marquis website on the internet too so be sure to go there.

blueglide88,
Hey....you got a great deal on that car! Doesn't sound like they drove it much either.
Yes, you should get 23mpg pretty easily and 25 to 26 would not be uncommon....especially in the summer. You may even get better with synthetic fluids in the engine and differential. Just be sure to keep the tires inflated properly (I like them about a pound or two above).
There is a Crown Vic/Merc Marquis website on the internet too so be sure to go there.

It's a great site:

http://www.crownvic.net

Originally Posted By: panthermike
blueglide88,

It's a great site:

http://www.crownvic.net

Yup, Grandmarq.net is another good one.

Geez... the Crown Vic/Merc Grand Marquis will run to 150k using peanut oil in the sump. Considering the milage that NYC taxi's get out of them with minimum maintenance, a well cared for privatly owned one will give almost unlimited service life.

5w20/5w30, which ever name brand is on sale.

Drew

If you don't feel comfortable using a 5W-20 oil in your Modular V8, 5W-30 or 10W-30 (depending on climatic conditions) will do just fine. Ford still specs 10W-30 for the same engine in the Middle East. The internal running tolerances have not changed much during the past 18 years and 10W-30 was the recommended viscosity in 1991. The main purpose of thinner oils is CAFE, nothing more.

I had a '97 CV I loved it. My wife got a new car so I got her Jeep. I used Motorcraft and Valvoline, 5-20 and 5-30. Heavier stuff in the summer time. Right now it's hard to beat the Wal-Mart deal ($12.50 for 5 qts) on MC oil. They have good MC filters too.

Mine was a daily driver for 3 years. Loved it for that but it was at its best out on the highway. An awesome car for that. (And you will see that on a summer road trip MANY other people think so too. They are all over the roads and you will start to notice it now that you're an owner.)

I drove mine back and forth from NC to IA several times. One trip home the car was loaded down to the point of sagging in the back end. I got 28 mpg, according to the car's computer, over the 950 mile trip. I was trying hard but you should know it can be done. (The trick was feathering the gas pedal, coasting, then slowing accelerating back up to speed, and then repeating. If you can stand to drive that way, you can get some unbelievable gas mileage in this couch on wheels. These cars don't have much drag and really hold their speed - thus building gas mileage - while you coast.)

Congrats. Sounds like you got a helluva deal. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
If you don't feel comfortable using a 5W-20 oil in your Modular V8, 5W-30 or 10W-30 (depending on climatic conditions) will do just fine. Ford still specs 10W-30 for the same engine in the Middle East. The internal running tolerances have not changed much during the past 18 years and 10W-30 was the recommended viscosity in 1991. The main purpose of thinner oils is CAFE, nothing more.

Actually the Taxi's do so well because the engine is always hot and the engine is well lubricated all day. The engines are built well and do last a long time, but last longer in Taxi's because of what I stated above...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back