2002 VW Passat 1.8t sludge recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen even 2.8 12 valve engines that had sludge issues. Usually it's due to wrong oil choice and broken or leaking breather hoses.

Quote:

VeeDubb, maybe this makes sense...

For the first 3 yrs. or so, I always brought my own M1 0w40 to the dealership. Then, after VW instructed its dealers to use synthetic on the 1.8t, I just let the dealership put there own oil in, which was supposedly Syntec 5w40. So perhaps I should switch back to M1?

There is some positive commentary about using MI 5w40 TDT in the 1.8t, but I can't see where it meets VW 502.00. What are the difference between the two M1s?

I believe the M1 TDT is on the list for the 502 spec:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0004.File.pdf

It's labeled M1 "Turbo Deisel" which must be the same thing as "Turbo Deisel Truck", right? I've been thinking of this too.

Thank goodness for the 1.8T, without it my kids wouldn't have shoes !!!
whistle.gif

are you considering the TDT? I am thinking of dropping that in (after gaining a little more knowledge about it in these engines) maybe before it gets hot again in the spring to quiet the engine down. Mine seems kind of loud at high speeds, no idea if it's the oil or just the fact that the engines sit at high rpms on the highway.

DQP

I have also thought the TDI has been louder then usual with TDT in it, it seemed to like GC though. Nice and smooth, engine feels a bit harsh with TDT.

We'll see how ELF pans out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back