2001 Jaguar XJR 4.0 V8 high abnormal Lead, Aluminum, Iron in oil analysis

Hello Everyone I just got my first oil analysis back from Blackstone and the report isn't great, it seems but not terrible. I just wanted some opinions from people far more versed in oil than me. What worries me the most is the high lead content, I suspect the aluminum in from what sounds like a piston slap when the engine is stone cold, which goes away when warm. The engine runs great and otherwise acts normal and doesn't seem down on power at all. This os the first oil change since I got the car. I have receipts that prove that the mileage I listed is legit so Im somewhat concerned by the report.

Link to report: (link removed; personal info)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your results are not ideal, but don’t panic. Do you know how long the oil was in service? It may have had a bunch of short trips.

Enjoy the car and pull a sample on the next oil change.

It's not terribly high to be honest. I might switch to something like 15w-50 and just be soft with it until the engine warms up. 11.4 cst at 405f makes it seem like a 40 grade. Oil's add pack looks nice.

Iron ppm/1000 miles (13ppm) is elevated, the lead and aluminum are potentially worrisome, but I'd sample the next fill and see where you stand in comparison, it's possibly transient, though I'd be surprised if that's actually the case unfortunately.

I should add that I had previously added several fuel system cleaners like Techron and some other stuff as well as adding a ZDDP additive to the oil.
Your results are not ideal, but don’t panic. Do you know how long the oil was in service? It may have had a bunch of short trips.

Enjoy the car and pull a sample on the next oil change.
Oil was in service for about 4-5k miles and about a year since it was changed with 5w-40 Liqui-moli. I have since put 10w40 in it as recommended by most on the forums for this car. Funny thing is when I went in and replaced some timing components (preemptively) I noticed that the engine was immaculate, with absolutely no sludge, and records show regular services. see picture attached. I have rebuilt a couple engines before but i'd rather not rebuild this one. I guess the best I can do is just send in a sample every oil change.
IMG_4679.jpg

Hello Everyone I just got my first oil analysis back from Blackstone and the report isn't great, it seems but not terrible. I just wanted some opinions from people far more versed in oil than me. What worries me the most is the high lead content, I suspect the aluminum in from what sounds like a piston slap when the engine is stone cold, which goes away when warm. The engine runs great and otherwise acts normal and doesn't seem down on power at all. This os the first oil change since I got the car. I have receipts that prove that the mileage I listed is legit so Im somewhat concerned by the report.

Link to report:
NVM thanks admin!
Screenshot 2023-11-02 173313.jpg

10w-40 is not the recommended viscosity for this engine. I have the same engine in my 2002 Jaguar XKR. The recommended viscosities are a range depending on your climate, topping out with a 0w-40 or a 5w-40. I use the Mobil 1 0w-40 in mine since my ownership began 6 years and 85,000 miles ago. Total mileage on the car is 188,000.

Piston slap is normal with this engine. The best way to avoid more piston wear is to not drive off until the engine has warmed up considerably and the noise abated. Changing viscosity to a 10w-40 is not going to gain you anything imho.

My Blackstone reports are normal with no elevated levels of any of the wear metals. Oil consumption is less than 500 ml over the oil change period.

Z

10w-40 is not the recommended viscosity for this engine. I have the same engine in my 2002 Jaguar XKR. The recommended viscosities are a range depending on your climate, topping out with a 0w-40 or a 5w-40. I use the Mobil 1 0w-40 in mine since my ownership began 6 years and 85,000 miles ago. Total mileage on the car is 188,000.

Piston slap is normal with this engine. The best way to avoid more piston wear is to not drive off until the engine has warmed up considerably and the noise abated. Changing viscosity to a 10w-40 is not going to gain you anything imho.

My Blackstone reports are normal with no elevated levels of any of the wear metals. Oil consumption is less than 500 ml over the oil change period.

Z
I'm aware I've just had a few other people with the same engine recommend it to me, and I've had luck with it in older Jaguar engines and other high-mile cars. As far as I know, it's within the allowable range for my climate.

PS: quit using the zddp additive, a good quality synthetic oil doesn't need it, and take it easy on the Techron too, no more than 2 treatments between oil changes.

Z
Yea im not doing either often it was just a shot in the dark to help with piston slap and a slight cold idle misfire which the techron did fix.

“…… As far as I know, it's within the allowable range for my climate…”

IMG_5543.jpg

This is the factory chart which should be in your owners manual. As you can see, 10w-40 is not listed. Even the 5w-40 is recommended only for ambient temps of 85 F and above.

The 0w-40, (especially the Mobil 1 0w-40 imo) is about as good of a wide range oil that one can use. Most people on the Jaguar forum are using 5w-30, but they are driving in summers that correspond to temp range for that viscosity.

FWIW, My XKR is my daily driver, so it gets a good workout everyday. These cars do not do well if left to sit unused. Driving one as much as possible is the best way to keep gremlins at bay. A good battery tender also is considered to be a needed preventive.
IMG_5543.jpg

Since all are listed on 1 bar, I take that as all 4 of them are acceptable for the entire range. What areas would you living in if the temperature only ranges from 85F low to 120F high?

Otherwise you get charts like this.
1698976323436.jpg

1698976041324.png

View attachment 186472

This is the factory chart which should be in your owners manual. As you can see, 10w-40 is not listed. Even the 5w-40 is recommended only for ambient temps of 85 F and above.

The 0w-40, (especially the Mobil 1 0w-40 imo) is about as good of a wide range oil that one can use. Most people on the Jaguar forum are using 5w-30, but they are driving in summers that correspond to temp range for that viscosity.

FWIW, My XKR is my daily driver, so it gets a good workout everyday. These cars do not do well if left to sit unused. Driving one as much as possible is the best way to keep gremlins at bay. A good battery tender also is considered to be a needed preventive.
View attachment 186472
Interesting, maybe im thinking of another car's manual then. I'll run the 10w40 for now and swap on the next change. This is the first chart I have ever seen for any car that I've owned that doesn't have 10w40 in the range. In general I've been told the harder the conditions (track duty) the ticker the oil but that may just be an old wives tail.

Interesting, maybe im thinking of another car's manual then. I'll run the 10w40 for now and swap on the next change. This is the first chart I have ever seen for any car that I've owned that doesn't have 10w40 in the range. In general I've been told the harder the conditions (track duty) the ticker the oil but that may just be an old wives tail.
10W-40 will be excluded from many applications simply by lacking OE approvals. MB 229.5 doesn't allow for a 10W-40 for example, only 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40. It's generally regarded as an obsolete grade.

Back