2021 Civic. 8k Oil Change. Severe fuel dilution.

the strategy was to use very high grade oil (Amsoil SS) and try to get some life between intervals
The oil itself has nothing to do with the amount of dilution the engine produces. Get the cheapest oil and change it every 4-5K miles. $20 for a jug of Walmart oil every 4K vs. $58 for the Amsoil every 8k is a no brainer.

The oil itself has nothing to do with the amount of dilution the engine produces. Get the cheapest oil and change it every 4-5K miles. $20 for a jug of Walmart oil every 4K vs. $58 for the Amsoil every 8k is a no brainer.
How about using a mid level oil, and use some Walmart/Amazon Castrol Euro Car 5w-30, makes far far more sense with a $38,000 car/SUV then " the cheapest oil". You want a quality oil to buffer oil dilution, you don't want the "cheapest oil".

K
How about using a mid level oil, and use some Walmart/Amazon Castrol Euro Car 5w-30, makes far far more sense with a $38,000 car/SUV then " the cheapest oil". You want a quality oil to buffer oil dilution, you don't want the "cheapest oil".

Its civic, cheapest Honda you can buy. How is Supertech is not a quality oil, it has dexos gen3, is it not enough for Honda?

While the type and amount of VM affect temporary shear thinning, at some point the amount of fuel in the oil is just a simple dilution of a more viscous fluid by one that is thinner. In that respect the only thing that’s going to help you is viscosity. Dilution is dilution.

There’s little point in using a boutique oil here. Just use something of decent quality and change it more frequently.

What sort of driving do you typically do? mostly city? mostly highway? Was the engine oil fully up to temperature when you grabbed your sample? While the fuel dilution does seem high, everything else seems to be in check. The viscosity is still in the 20 weight range even with the >5% fuel.
Work commute is 80% of the mileage on the car. 30 miles one way and is a 50/50 mix of city and then high speed interstate driving. I am also aggressive on the throttle from lights.

K

Its civic, cheapest Honda you can buy. How is Supertech is not a quality oil, it has dexos gen3, is it not enough for Honda?
Just fine without fuel dilution, but WITH bad fuel dilution your going to skimp on $10 extra? I would think Castrol Euro Car is better.

Just fine without fuel dilution, but WITH bad fuel dilution your going to skimp on $10 extra? I would think Castrol Euro Car is better.
The only problem is that “better brand” oil will not help with fuel dilution. Extra cash be used to shorten OCI instead

Welcome! If you join a dedicated Honda forum, Honda has had this problem for awhile. Back in 19 I was looking at cars.I was studying Honda.The word was owners were having dilution problems and the dealers weren't helping by flat as_lying about it.Honda finally did some strategy will the computers.It seemed that the southern warmer weather states had less issue.If you do short trips and not getting your car really warmed up,your fuel dilution will show like your O.A.I had a 10,000 mile recommended service.I do O.A. ,same company as you.I too had to shorten,I do 5,000 mile,and I now stay good.You are using good oil,kudos for that.But fuel dilution is a very serious engine lubrication issue as it cleans the oil off the cylinder walls.You don't want that.My recommendation is O.A.,shorten drain miles,use a good quality oil,come to your own solution,it's unfortunate that you can't use Amsoil at a extended mileage,that would of bee great.Good luck
I have been on both the Civic gen10 and gen11 forums for years as well as the CRV forum. IMHO, the Civic forums are primarily younger and their main interests seem to be in modifications and tuning (which often turn into warranty debacles) usually all about tinting, wheels, downpipe and exhaust as well as intake mods for more turbo sound. The CRV forum moderators have shut down any and all discussions on fuel dilution, declaring that Honda has resolved this issue. Real world, there are hundreds of thousands of Hondas with this engine running around racking up many miles whose owners are totally unaware of this issue. Apparently the reality falls somewhere in the middle, BITOG members tend to obsess about this issue, some forums ignore it mostly, others get militant. Personally, I believe that awareness and being pro-active is better if you plan on keeping a Honda long-term. I admit to being obsessive about maintenance, BITOG has value in not only discussions but sometimes in real verified data. Sometimes sifting through all the opinions is interesting.

Last edited:
The only problem is that “better brand” oil will not help with fuel dilution. Extra cash be used to shorten OCI instead
This is pretty much the conclusion I came to. 4k OCI with Pensoil Ultra Platinum since it is much much cheaper than Amsoil.

Well my tuned Hyundai 1.6T had some very very bad fuel dilution at one point, like 1.50+ qts of fuel within my dump point of of 3,000 miles. I wanted better oil when I was pushing 23 psi boost, and a ton fuel in my oil. You can use the cheaper oil if you like. I still have the exact same tunes when I had this bad dilution problem. I now am running 1/3qt-1/2 qt + fuel dilution in 3,000 miles in winter with warm ups. Which is fine since I had no real wear with the 1.50 qt time frame. FD is a none issue for me now zero worrys at this low level. I have UOAed it to death with the final verdict "no worrys". I think mine issue could of been carbon pinched rings as after the second change of Redline Performance 5w-30 Euro my dilution went to almost nothing and has came up a bit (in Minnesota winter) since I stop using Redline since their massive price increase(s). I have been using Motul 5w-40 8100-Clen Gen 2 for 2 years now. Last change had HPL 5w-40 Engine Cleaner added. I have one more Redline Performance 5w-30 Euro change in my stash for this late spring. Then 2 more changes Motul and I will be going to a run of HPL Euro 5w-30 for cleaning. Then Plan on using Castroil Euro Car 5w-30/or 5w-40 after that, with runs of HPL Euro for cleaning.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd be ok using "any oil" at even 5k intervals with that much fuel. I'd rather spend more to keep rings clean and that requires high solvency and dispersant/detergent package

I'm not sure I'd be ok using "any oil" at even 5k intervals with that much fuel. I'd rather spend more to keep rings clean and that requires high solvency and dispersant/detergent package

is Supertech/Kirkland/Quaker State “any oil”? If so, what makes you believe it will not keep your rings clean in 5k interval?

Work commute is 80% of the mileage on the car. 30 miles one way and is a 50/50 mix of city and then high speed interstate driving. I am also aggressive on the throttle from lights.
I do wonder the aggressive driving is contributing to the fuel dilution, so I wonder if lighter throttle application would help especially before the cylinder walls and pistons are fully up to temperature.

is Supertech/Kirkland/Quaker State “any oil”? If so, what makes you believe it will not keep your rings clean in 5k interval?
It's hard to really say honestly. It's often a case-by-case situation depending on engine type. The off-shelf oils may be perfectly fine at 5k mile intervals. I was surprised to see HPL clean existing deposits/carbon from engines using other synthetic oils. Wasn't expecting that. Mobil 1 is my preferred off the shelf brand. Will keep engines very clean.

1709730743794.jpg

Decent Synthetic at shorter intervals.

QSFS
Kirkland/ST/Amazon
Havoline LL ProDs
PZL FS
GTX FS
Mobil FS

Back