2001 Infiniti QX4, 151k. Burning oil like crazy!

I've owned two 3.5 VQ35DEs (a 2003 and a 2004 with just shy of 200k miles). Neither has ever been an oil burner. I think I've only ever topped off with about a 1/4 quart of oil once. Maybe twice in the last 11 years of owning the 2004 VQ, and that was only after a hard run across the country. They do not all burn oil.
It's a hit or miss thing. But still very common in these engines. Had 2 oil burners and 2 non-oil burners 3.5s. Interestingly the burners are snappier ones and quieter ones.

Thanks. I'm personally not minding topping it off with a 1qt every 500-700. In fact, I'm pretty shocked to realize I've had it for 51,000 miles doing this. Glad it keeps on running. I'm hopeful there is an easy fix to try, but I have read quite of bit of other owner's having this problem and living with it. The truck is worth more to me than the dollar amount I would get for selling it (it has a salvaged title).

My concern for switching to conventional will be more residue which will finallly kill the cat; perhaps the synthetic 50/50 blend is burning a lot cleaner. I'm also paranoid to rock the boat - would hate to start burning 1qt every 100 miles :D

I've owned two 3.5 VQ35DEs (a 2003 and a 2004 with just shy of 200k miles). Neither has ever been an oil burner. I think I've only ever topped off with about a 1/4 quart of oil once. Maybe twice in the last 11 years of owning the 2004 VQ, and that was only after a hard run across the country. They do not all burn oil.
In that case I stand corrected. Not all, but many (I'd even say majority) of VQ engines burn oil.

Try some 10w-40 and throw in a can of BG EPR.
It did wonders for our oil drinking audi.

I bet it's your piston rings.

Back