2001 Honda Odyssey D4 light flashing.

Friend's 2001 Honda Odyssey started flashing a "D4" light on the dash. Drives fine, no issues other than the light according to her. I'll go to her place tomorrow and look at her van.

Any ideas? I looked up what could be a transmission pressure switch that may need to be replaced.

Most likely a sensor or switch as there is no actual trans issue. I have no idea if these have a fluid level sensor, if it does it may just be slightly low. Now if it was shifting bad then that's a frowner.

Don’t think it has a fluid level sensor - I had two of these units. Despite the bad press, the dealer bandaid worked and we had no issues, at all, with either.

I'll go to her place tomorrow and look at her van.
Take a scanner. Even my '99 Accord spit out codes that ID'd the specific solenoid, pressure switch, etc. You can find dirt-cheap replacements on Amazon, etc but they're a crap-shoot. At least Rockauto sells ones from SMP, WVE, etc and of course, you've got OEM options.

I realize she says it "drives fine" but there will be certain conditions (certain throttle amount, certain load, etc, etc) that it will act up. She simply may not trigger it with her driving habits or style.

Take a scanner. Even my '99 Accord spit out codes that ID'd the specific solenoid, pressure switch, etc. You can find dirt-cheap replacements on Amazon, etc but they're a crap-shoot. At least Rockauto sells ones from SMP, WVE, etc and of course, you've got OEM options.

I realize she says it "drives fine" but there will be certain conditions (certain throttle amount, certain load, etc, etc) that it will act up. She simply may not trigger it with her driving habits or style.
Great input, thank you! Yes I'm going to stop by her place after work and scan for codes, and take it for a drive so I can see and feel for myself. Definitely can't do a thorough diagnosis over the phone. I may bring her van home with me to give everything a good "once over".

Get it scanned and go from there. My bet is, it's a pressure switch gone bad; Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv

What's the service history on this unit?

Was it replaced way back when under the extended campaign, or did it just have the cooler line added to help second gear?

I'd read the codes, check fluid level and condition, then shift it into palliative care mode

Not one of Honda's brighter ideas 😒

She had the transmission rebuilt at somewhere in the 200,000 mile range. It now has over 300,000.

She had the transmission rebuilt at somewhere in the 200,000 mile range. It now has over 300,000.
100k miles is about the average life expectancy of the Honda V6 automatic transmissions from that era. I would be willing to bet that the 200k rebuild wasn't the first time that it has been rebuilt/replaced.

Looking at the Odyssey now. The only odd symptom I notice so far is the D4 light flashing and it makes a loud “clack” sound when shifting from park to reverse to drive and to park. No weird noises while steadily in gear or in motion,only that clack sound when moving the lever between park reverse and drive,and this is while sitting stationary,just moving the lever between the gears.

Transmission fluid level is perfect,and looks brand new. Kind’ve that bright pink/red color. No discoloration or burnt smell. No metallic residue left on paper towel when wiped off.

Another question for y’all. Where exactly is the transmission pressure switch located and how do you access it? I’ve found a few posts online but they seem very ambiguous.

UPDATE:

I just took the van out for a drive. It’s stuck in 4th gear (which I’m guessing is the highest gear). It’s like you’re driving my 300ZX which has a standard transmission and you try to start off in fifth gear and leave it in that gear. Her van going from a standstill all the way to 70+ mph doesn’t shift at all,it starts off in the highest gear and stays there. But I could start off in 1 then shift to 2 and then to D3 (by manually using the shift lever).

What’s everyone’s expert hypothesis?

Another question for y’all. Where exactly is the transmission pressure switch located and how do you access it? I’ve found a few posts online but they seem very ambiguous.
Good luck.... 😂 In all seriousness, there are multiple switches and solenoids. The harder part is finding the specific one in question. There are 1-2 switches, 2-3 switches, torque lockup (or similar name), etc, etc. Some just look like a large drain plug but with an electrical connector while others are a "plate" type design with 2-3 solenoids sticking out.

Look at this diagram: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...ransmission_automatic/at_sensor_solenoid.html

1653942303567.jpg
1653942370959.jpg

P0754?

Next step will be to get the codes read. Friend of mine was supposed to show up with a code reader, but wasn't able to make it.

Back