2000 Mack DM690S Schaeffer 15w40 9637mi/344hr

Oil sample was as expected, glycol test was positive this time so that is definitive now. I'm on two big jobs right now and once those are done I'll be quitting for the year and doing a overhaul on the engine. This was Schaeffer 700 15w40 and 4 quarts of Schaeffer 132. Coolant consumption has been 1-2 gallons since last PM.

1700013097222.jpg

1700013124743.jpg

For all those folks on here that deny what a UOA can show about engine issues show them this. :)

Anyways, it appears this was confirmation from the last test that showed elevated Potassium/Sodium. Pardon my ignorance but Mack built this engine? Looks like you got over 250k out of this engine so a rebuild may get you another xxx miles? Is the engine itself ok just needs new head gaskets? Sorry about my questions but I'm a sponge by nature. Thanks!

Before you decide to overhaul it - assuming you have no starting or power issues - you could pull the oil pan and pressurize the radiator to see where the coolant is coming from. Oil coolers occasionally leak and they're a bunch cheaper than an overhaul.

For all those folks on here that deny what a UOA can show about engine issues show them this. :)

Anyways, it appears this was confirmation from the last test that showed elevated Potassium/Sodium. Pardon my ignorance but Mack built this engine? Looks like you got over 250k out of this engine so a rebuild may get you another xxx miles? Is the engine itself ok just needs new head gaskets? Sorry about my questions but I'm a sponge by nature. Thanks!
Yes, this is a Mack engine. Because this was formerly a concrete mixer it got tremendous amounts of hours put on it. That's why it has 26,000 hours with only 262k miles. A head gasket is a possibility(bear in mind this is an inline 6 but has 2 cylinder heads) but on these engines liners are more likely. I will do diagnostics as necessary before totally tearing it down though. The liners are surrounded by coolant and the sealant degrades over time and thousands of hours.

Before you decide to overhaul it - assuming you have no starting or power issues - you could pull the oil pan and pressurize the radiator to see where the coolant is coming from. Oil coolers occasionally leak and they're a bunch cheaper than an overhaul.
Replace the HG.
Or the liners or the seals or the coppers in the heads or the oil cooler etc. Lots of places for coolant to get into on a big diesel
I will be pulling the pan to pressurize the cooling system however on these engines with the amount of hours it has, liner sealant failing is way more common. These have wet sleeves(surrounded by coolant) but don't use liner seals. You seal the sleeves into the block with Mack Silastic. Head gaskets are rarely a problem on these.

There is a very slight possibility that the oil cooler is starting to leak but my bet is on a liner.

Yes, this is a Mack engine. Because this was formerly a concrete mixer it got tremendous amounts of hours put on it. That's why it has 26,000 hours with only 262k miles. A head gasket is a possibility(bear in mind this is an inline 6 but has 2 cylinder heads) but on these engines liners are more likely. I will do diagnostics as necessary before totally tearing it down though. The liners are surrounded by coolant and the sealant degrades over time and thousands of hours.
Great info! Another aspect is that if it was the oil cooler there would be coolant in the antifreeze so perhaps there might be a way to test the antifreeze for that? Outside of a visual inspection? I don't know if a test lab would or could do that. 2 heads on the inline..interesting! 26k is a lot of hours for sure. Hope you get it narrowed down & put it back to work.

Caterpillar did that too. Cummins used 3 heads.
Wow, That is wild. I don't know a whole lot about these HD engines to be honest. All I know is that Mack has really started to push more into the OTR segment over the last few years.

If you have 26,000 hours on the original engine it's time for an overhaul. When I ran Macks in a regional operation I found that the tractors averaged 42 mph. 26,000 x 42=1,092,000. So, your hours are the equivalent of a million miles on a highway tractor. I'd still check the source of the coolant leak...putting new bearings in and having an oil cooler re-contaminate the oil is not good.

If you have 26,000 hours on the original engine it's time for an overhaul. When I ran Macks in a regional operation I found that the tractors averaged 42 mph. 26,000 x 42=1,092,000. So, your hours are the equivalent of a million miles on a highway tractor. I'd still check the source of the coolant leak...putting new bearings in and having an oil cooler re-contaminate the oil is not good.
@Creekside truck was a concrete truck in its former life. I’m guessing it averaged no where near 42mph.

That said 26,000 hours is still a significant amount of time on the engine.

Just my $0.02

@Creekside truck was a concrete truck in its former life. I’m guessing it averaged no where near 42mph.

That said 26,000 hours is still a significant amount of time on the engine.

Just my $0.02
Re-read the post. It compares the engine hours in a construction application to the same number of hours on a highway tractor. The application is different but the run time on the engine is comparable.

This generation of truck is tough as nails. I drove a 1998 Rd690s fuel truck for a couple of years. 300 hp and slow as molasses. But man it NEVER broke down and the oil level never dropped over a 500hr interval.

Had a T2070 trans IIRC. It was funny to watch people try to shift it when they were used to something like an 8LL

Re-read the post. It compares the engine hours in a construction application to the same number of hours on a highway tractor. The application is different but the run time on the engine is comparable.
But 25 mph avg is probably a better guess to compute mileage. Based on 25 mph, since it's a concrete truck & not an OTR truck, it would be around 650,000 miles equivalent not 1 mill.

This generation of truck is tough as nails. I drove a 1998 Rd690s fuel truck for a couple of years. 300 hp and slow as molasses. But man it NEVER broke down and the oil level never dropped over a 500hr interval.

Had a T2070 trans IIRC. It was funny to watch people try to shift it when they were used to something like an 8LL
T2070 is what mine has also. Mine is a T2070B with multispeed reverse meaning you select reverse via an air selector switch on the shift lever. I can shift 1-5 speeds in reverse same as you can going forward.

T2070 is what mine has also. Mine is a T2070B with multispeed reverse meaning you select reverse via an air selector switch on the shift lever. I can shift 1-5 speeds in reverse same as you can going forward.

I drove one like that before. I always thought it was odd that you could be in 5th gear going backwards.

This is what the shift pattern looked like on the truck I drove. I almost never used the low 1st and second. It was geared so low you could just leave it on the high side. Always backed up in low range though
IMG_0572.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info! Another aspect is that if it was the oil cooler there would be coolant in the antifreeze so perhaps there might be a way to test the antifreeze for that? Outside of a visual inspection? I don't know if a test lab would or could do that. 2 heads on the inline..interesting! 26k is a lot of hours for sure. Hope you get it narrowed down & put it back to work.
usually with an oil cooler issue, the oil tends to go in the cooling system, simply because it is under higher pressure than the coolant.. doesn't mean the stuff wont drip back into the sump if sitting, but will be at a slower rate.

anyway you look at it, a 23 year old diesel engine probably needs a good looking at before deciding what to do..

Back