2000 CRV Shift Flare in A/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Also, I use Maxlife with Lubegard red and have for 30k. I'd like to avoid the "why don't you just use Honda ATF, dummy" flame, unless you've experienced a similar issue and the ATF was indeed the culprit.

Non-Honda ATF will cause premature degradation of clutch friction materials in some Honda ATs. This is a commonly know fact and why so many people will tell you to stick to OE lubricants with Hondas. I have watched a sibling learn this the hard way trying to save $1/qt on ATF. Additives like Lubeguard should NEVER be used in a Honda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I've noticed I've got 4-5 flare on my Tundra, that does not bode well. I only get it when I hold it in 4th then click up for 5th.
frown.gif
I did buy it to only go to 150k over the next 10 years; but at the rate I'm driving it I'll be there in less than 7.

Flares on Toyota transmissions can be cause by improper ATF but most of the time it is a software issue. Ask your dealer if there is a A/T firmware update for your truck. If you have used a non OE ATF, I would switch back to WS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
The vehicle just turned 160k. I guess I'm puzzled that it should start acting up this early in life. I don't think the 1st gen CR-Vs were known for trans problems.

Hmmm, yeah that is early. Only 14 years old.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
I've noticed I've got 4-5 flare on my Tundra, that does not bode well. I only get it when I hold it in 4th then click up for 5th.
frown.gif
I did buy it to only go to 150k over the next 10 years; but at the rate I'm driving it I'll be there in less than 7.

Flares on Toyota transmissions can be cause by improper ATF but most of the time it is a software issue. Ask your dealer if there is a A/T firmware update for your truck. If you have used a non OE ATF, I would switch back to WS.

Right now it has a 50-50 mix of Maxlife and WS. But given how much is splashed onto the front end it'd be pretty hard to deny that I changed it.

I suppose I could call; it was just at the dealer in November or so for inspection. Wasn't planning on going back until... November. Or the next time I get a 10% off coupon, should get more TGMO for the next round of oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Doog
frown.gif

Right now it has a 50-50 mix of Maxlife and WS. But given how much is splashed onto the front end it'd be pretty hard to deny that I changed it.

I suppose I could call; it was just at the dealer in November or so for inspection. Wasn't planning on going back until... November. Or the next time I get a 10% off coupon, should get more TGMO for the next round of oil changes.

Just call them and give them the vin number. They can look it up. Tell them you are getting a flare issue.

I've driven and worked on too many cars that are well into 250k to feel like excusing an transmission for [censored] out before 200k. Underengineering, or "planned obsolescence."

As much as I don't like it, you guys are starting to convince me to try swapping over to Honda ATF.

Did we ever arrive at a conclusion about pumping all the old fluid through the cooler line for a fluid exchange? Or is the 4x drain/fill still preferred?

Do the four x drain and fill. Wait 500 miles between D/F's. Report back with results. I had flaring on my 99 Accord after the rear main was replaced. Dealer did one drain and fill and the flare was gone. This happened at 75k and sold it with 166k miles. Sometimes a particle can clog one of the many small internal passages. Report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back