Shift Flare When Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the post about "Shift Flare When Cold". I have exactly the opposite - 2 to 3 shift flare when hot. 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R with automatic - my "new" work car, with 186K miles. My younger son drove this car through 6 years of college (2 degrees, BTW), and now I will use it to commute with, keeping miles off my Jeep and getting better gas mileage too. It started having this shift flare issue about 4 years ago. When the car is cold, it shifts fine, but once it warms up, the flare occurs. All other shifts are normal / fine. I have learned to minimize its "feel" by careful use of the accelerator pedal. I saw some online articles about a "drop resistor" in the TPS wiring to the transmission, but I need to explore this more. It seems to occur in lots of Nissan cars and trucks. Anyone else have this issue?

What's the fluid level like? if the fluid is original, a ATF change might fix the problem....potentially augmented with a bottle of the appropriate Lube Guard product.

I used Lucas Stop Slip that seems to be the only band-aid that stops slipping in my 03 CRV. I had a 1-2 shift flare when started on the first shift. I was hoping that the 1-2 shift solenoid was bad but I changed it without any luck. Lucas stops the slip but I know this is only temporary and am preparing to buy another rebuilt transmission.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
What’s a shift flare?
It is when the engine rpm increase on an upshift. It means the transmission is slipping a little as the clutches for that gear apply.

Fluid appears, feels, and smells okay, and is at the correct level. I'll probably drain and refill it soon, but have mixed feelings whether or not this will cure things. Downshifts are sometimes harsh, so I need to check motor and trans mounts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back