2 year supertech synthetic user needs edumication

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
As I've repeatedly said, G-III may make a fine product. But if it can REALLY stand on its own merits, why does Castrol have to be sneaky about their use of it?

Sneaky? You can't be serious. The average person who buys OTC Castrol doesn't know PAO from Group III from Shineola.

When you try to explain something you have to assume that the person to whom you are speaking is capable of understanding the explanation. If the person isn't, you're wasting your time as well as that of the person. Castrol no doubt knew it would be a total waste of time to publicize or explain their switch from PAO to Group III. This switch is only an "issue" for people like us—nuts who spend entirely too much time thinking about motor oil. For everyone else, as long as Group III Castrol walks that fine line between real and perceived value enough to suit Joe Blow, Castrol hasn't done anything sneaky, IMO.

I also use and like Exxon/Mobil products. They were so righteous and forth coming during the Exxon Valdez disaster, it gives me a warm an fuzzy feeling.
lol.gif
nono.gif

Seriously, there will always be issues with all oil companies. I won't go into it all.

I always look for the best oil for my car and get over it. Maybe if South Africa ever made the best, I wouldn't have back then.
dunno.gif

Specs. and performance is all that tells the tale in the long run.

Reckon where Castrol get's POA?? Heck, they probably were working with Exxon to get the market like they both want it.

I try to go by specs. and performance and have an open mind as to the manufacturer. My car demands it.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by joatmon:
OK, continue to beat the dead Castrol horse. Yes, they probably changed Syntec so that it cost less to make. Wow, imagine that.

Now, still no takers on the fact that the latest GC (Syntec 0W30) probably costs lots more to make!

Jack

1. Jack, you continue to overlook my WHOLE point. It's not just that it cost less to make. It's that PLUS they continued to represent it as if it was the same, previous costlier product, while charging customers the same old costlier price.

2. Credit where credit is due. I'm experimenting with GC myself. If I find that it's the best product for my car, I'll use it. But I'll also keep an eye on this great corporate citizen, given their demonstrated willingness to bend the truth to suit thier own purposes.

1. Looks like we both agree that production costs were at least part of the motivation for Syntec going to G-III. Should they have indicated that it changed? Well, I see this happening in 2 general ways. Sometimes you'll see "new and improved" on a product label. This is generally marketing saying that we need to get people to try our product again, or to consider a switch from another brand. Castrol didn't do this, and for that, I give them credit. Many times products are changed and no notice is given. Look at how many suppliers Delco (GM) uses for oil filters. They make no announcement of such. Mobil 1 sometimes changes the name of their product (SuperSyn, TriSyn) and sometimes they don't. There is usually debate on wherether the product has improved or not. In fact, there are cases where a new product formulation is better for one group of users and of less benefit to another group. Think ZDDP and your cat. No, changes (ECOs) are a way of life for most commercial products and will continue to be so. Sometimes marketing will use this change as a catalyst for a new marketing tactic, other times the change goes without notice.

2. Agreed.

Just one guy's ramblings who acknowledges that it really doesn't matter what I think.

Peace to all and God bless the troops,

Jack

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:
first of all

where is supertech actually manufactured at?

whats a "Group III" Oil?

I'm i using the wrong oil?

I have been using Supertech synthetic for 2 years... cuz I ddrive 90% city, 5% highway, 5% dirt roads in my 1999 Hyundai tiburon and I drive HARD... MY engine is still doing fine.. i also do regular maintenance.. so that helps.. ha!

Back to the topic...
No, you're not using the wrong oil. In fact, I feel that ST's "full" synthetic offering is a great bargain and a truly viable alternative to Catrol's (and other companies) "Full" synth products where they carge $4+ per quart.

I hope others would perform UOAs of this oil to gather more data on it.

I just posted a VOA of ST's Full synth...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000209

cheers.gif

My 500th post! Look out Patman, here I come! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back