1998 Pennzoil 5w-30 sj oil

I found and used what I'm sure is the last jug of Pennzoil 5w-30 oil bought back in 1998 or 1999 on clearance from Wal-Mart. The oil had something that looked like wax or vanish almost looked like oil buggers. I tried taking a picture of it but you can't see it in the pictures.
Used it in my riding lawnmower so not super worried about it being bad.
Has anyone seen that in old oil before?

I've seen this (additive dropout) with several brands along with Pennzoil....Valvoline and Havoline seem to have drop out after sitting a couple of years. Pennzoil seems to have drop out pretty soon after purchase. 'Shaking' the jug seems to do very little to bring the 'drop out' back into suspension. I cut open the container and stir it up with a little oil and pour it into the engine.

I've seen this (additive dropout) with several brands along with Pennzoil....Valvoline and Havoline seem to have drop out after sitting a couple of years. Pennzoil seems to have drop out pretty soon after purchase. 'Shaking' the jug seems to do very little to bring the 'drop out' back into suspension. I cut open the container and stir it up with a little oil and pour it into the engine.
It’s good to know I’m not the only one who cuts their containers apart for sediment retrieval.

It’s good to know I’m not the only one who cuts their containers apart for sediment retrieval.
I figure the 'sediment' is mostly 'additive' and putting it into the engine can't be a bad thing.
I did notice that the 'dropout' in Pennzoil is dark or even black colored (moly?) while in my older NAPA SN rated (Valvoline made) and Havoline SM dino it's a whitish color.

Back