1997 Dodge 5.2 oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a well maintained 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 V8. It has 135,000 miles. When I serviced it, I used Delo 10w30 synthetic blend which I already had. My local Walmart evidently does not stock this oil anymore, and I'd like some recommendations for oil and oil change intervals. Truck will be used mostly for transportation to work, which is a 50/50 mix of interstate and country roads 42 miles round trip.

Congratulations on a good find, a well maintained truck with a great engine.

That engine doesn't care, as long as it has enough oil and it's not too dirty. In North Carolina choice of viscosity is not a big deal either.

I ran QSUD 5w-30 for 100K miles in my Dodge Dakota 3.9L. Then the price of QSUD went up and the truck got old and I started using whatever was on sale. Engine was pristine at 105K when I had the cracked heads replaced.

So I'd recommend that, QSUD in 5w-30 or 10w-30 at 5K or 6K OCI's. A good, cheap, workhorse synthetic oil for a workhorse of a truck.

Originally Posted by HangFire

That engine doesn't care, as long as it has enough oil and it's not too dirty. In North Carolina choice of viscosity is not a big deal either.

I ran QSUD 5w-30 for 100K miles in my Dodge Dakota 3.9L. Then the price of QSUD went up and the truck got old and I started using whatever was on sale. Engine was pristine at 105K when I had the cracked heads replaced.

So I'd recommend that, QSUD in 5w-30 or 10w-30 at 5K or 6K OCI's. A good, cheap, workhorse synthetic oil for a workhorse of a truck.

HangFire, what is the meaning of QSUD?

I had a Dakota as well, a 2001 with the 3.9 which was really just a 5.2 with 2 cylinders lopped off. I used Quaker State Conventional 10W30 in it and the truck also saw its fair share of Valvoline, Napa and Carquest store brand 10W30. The engine ran great, very smooth and quiet on QS. It ran just about the same on the other oils too. The engine was not too particular about oil and only burned about half a quart in 3000 miles. I sure miss that truck, it was a great truck, it had 187,000 miles when I sold it and not a day goes by that I don't remember it in one way or another.

Originally Posted by RHALL

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Just hit NAPA up and stock up on their April change special in the high mileage flavor.

NAPA flyer

Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

I've owned several 5.2s over the years, and 10w30 will be great for NC year round, or 5w30 if you're worried about winter starts.

As far as brand, are you trying to be least expensive or what? And what is your intended interval? For at least 5,000 mile intervals, Sper Tech (ST) synthetic from WM would be a great choice, both dollar wise and for a solid oil.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

I've owned several 5.2s over the years, and 10w30 will be great for NC year round, or 5w30 if you're worried about winter starts.

As far as brand, are you trying to be least expensive or what? And what is your intended interval? For at least 5,000 mile intervals, Sper Tech (ST) synthetic from WM would be a great choice, both dollar wise and for a solid oil.

I've always owned Chevrolet trucks. My 2004 Z71 has over 220k with normal maintenance, and runs like new. Bought this Dodge from my dad, and it's my first non GM vehicle. My dad bought it used, and only put 10k on it in 10 years! It's pretty much been used to take trash to the dump once a week. Only paid $400 for it, so I've got some extra $$ to make sure it lasts me a while. Any tips from you Dodge owners are welcome.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
Mobil1 10w30 High Mileage

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
One tip with these engines is that if it burns oil, it likely needs this:
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=27091

I have the 3.9l in my van. It's not at all fussy about oil. Surprisingly the M1 HM 10w-30 has given me the best MPG on my annual 4k trip to visit family. It seems to like this stuff so I went back to using it.

Probably due for a timing chain.

The intake pan kit is probably a good idea. My engine did not show the usual symptoms of a leaking gasket but I pulled the intake for other reasons and found it was. I didn't buy and use the kit but I did use silicon on both sides of the gasket hoping it would "give" a little when everything warmed up to operating temps.

They're not picky, at least my two 3.9s never were. They live on whatever was on sale. Just make sure as said above that the plenum gasket is good, and maybe switch to one range colder on the spark plugs. Around 150k start thinking about the timing chain as that's about when they start getting really loose. Is it an automatic or a manual?

Congrats on the truck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back