1997 Chevy Cavalier failed emissions testing

What's the objective? Clear out some carbon buildup that may or may not be present in the combustion chamber? This will not burn off any carbon that is there. Also, this is failing due to some mechanical failure, not carbon build up that an "Italian tune-up" will fix.

heats up the CAT and makes it function more efficiently lowering both NOx and HC
loosens carbon in rings, frees rings, increasing sealing, and lowering HC emissions
may free carbon on spark plugs, lowering spark plug temp (lowering NOX), or increasing burn efficiency (lowing HC)
may help clear deposits on injectors lowering HC

Last edited:
I'm surprised the CEL isn't on if you failed emissions :cautious:

I thought only California still required sniffers on post-96 cars :unsure:

Sell the car to someone in an non-emissions county :sneaky:

If you already had a set did you have to buy new ones?
No i considered going this route as I hardly ever drive it. The struts are bad, it needs a head gasket and i bought a radiator for it as the radiator has a small leak.

I was referring it to being an OBD2 car. Mandated in 1996. Why are they using a tailpipe sniffer?
Colorado is in bed with the epa and testing procedures. Apparently there is a 7ish year exemption on new vehicle emissions then the next 10 years I think are obd2 plug in after that they are all tailpipe tested. I wish Colorado would just do away with emissions testing for good.

Probably because of people gaming the system. Resetting the check engine light, then driving it until the required number of monitors have been set but before the check engine comes back on and getting it inspected.
I could do that with any OBD2 vehicle regardless of year.

Its much easier to cheat a sniffer than OBD2.

Is there a prescribed law that says older than whatever date it must be done with a sniffer? - edit - @97prizm answered this above.

Probably because of people gaming the system. Resetting the check engine light, then driving it until the required number of monitors have been set but before the check engine comes back on and getting it inspected.

It's easier to cheat a sniffer than the OBD test :sneaky:

What's the objective? Clear out some carbon buildup that may or may not be present in the combustion chamber? This will not burn off any carbon that is there. Also, this is failing due to some mechanical failure, not carbon build up that an "Italian tune-up" will fix.
Get the engine fully up to temperature and clean the spark plugs, as max power is max heat, pressure and airflow through the intake, heads and exhaust.

Today I learned that there is a 1997 Cavalier still on the road.
I've got a 2000 with the 2.2 sitting here right now. It's only got about 157k, though.

If you're after an econobox, they're not terrible. A Corolla or Civic is probably a better choice, but with a higher price tag for the cachet -- er, well, as much cachet as a Corolla can garner.

The 2.2 even gets some praise here:

Back