2004 Saturn Ion 2.2 missing on 2 cylinders when started after sitting over a day.

Car has 209,000 miles and the engine runs great all other times. It’s the GM corporate L61 2.2L engine used in millions of Cavaliers, Cobalts, Malibus, Grand Ams, Sunfires and is a DOHC timing chain motor.

If it hasn’t been started in a day or more, when I do start it, sometimes it will miss badly for the first 20-30 seconds, after which it will gradually smooth out and miss goes away. The thing is, it doesn’t happen ALL the time after sitting. It may start up just fine as well.

When it does happen, it barely runs as it only seems to have 2 cylinders working. Scan tool shows many misfires on #1 and #4 but zero on 2 & 3. Codes are P0300 for the misfires and P0341, Cam position sensor performance. This engine doesn’t have a cam sensor, but gets the data from the ignition module.

Work done so far includes new AC Delco iridum plugs, Spectra Premium coil pack, oil change with 5W30 and AC Delco filter, Purolator air and fuel filters.

I have two thoughts so far.

1) Ignition module on the way out since that’s where it gets the cam signal.

2) Timing chain and/or tensionor worn and causing a timing issue by oil draining out while sitting until next start. When it is started after a day or two, it takes 20-30 seconds for the oil to fill the tensioner and take up the slack in the chain. Is the tensioner oil fed on this engine? And why a miss only on 1 and 4?

Any other things to consider? I could do a fuel injector flow test to see if they are even or leaking down into the cylinder.

Can you see if it's holding fuel pressure (when sitting)? Not sure if that one is returnless with the fuel pressor sensor you can see on a scantool. Might be an injector leaking?

I have had one of these engines. Common problem is the ignition module. You already have it ordered.

Second thingy, there is an updated cam chain tensioner that prevents start up rattle of the chain. #12608580. It can be identified as having a bump on it's head. The original is flat. The valve cover must be removed to "activate or set" the tensioner once installed.

The above information applied to my 2006 2.2. I believe there is no difference.

I would suspect leaking injectors. Don't those engine have a funky compression sense ignition system? The ignition is also a waste spark; which cylinders are paired together to a single coil?

You could have a leak of coolant into a couple of cylinders due to a leaky head gasket. Coolant could build up in the cylinders while it's sitting and cause it to misfire for a while. Are you losing coolant? A boroscope of the cylinders would show clean pistons and valves on the offending cylinders.

You could have a leak of coolant into a couple of cylinders due to a leaky head gasket. Coolant could build up in the cylinders while it's sitting and cause it to misfire for a while. Are you losing coolant? A boroscope of the cylinders would show clean pistons and valves on the offending cylinders.
This was my original thought too, but being that the affected cylinders are at opposing ends, I eliminated the head gasket; but you never know until a leak down test is performed.

I would also say ICM. If this is a waste spark system, usually on GM's, cylinders 1 and 4 are tied together and 2 and 3 are as well. My 92 Cavalier has a waste spark system with two coils mounted on the ICM and one coil fires cyclinders 1 & 4 and the other one 2 & 3. I'm not sure if yours is similar. I will say don't use aftermarket ICM's because most of them are junk. I've gone through several over the years in my car.

With 1 and 4 being companion cylinders at opposite ends of the engine from each other and the way the ignition system works on this engine I'd be really surprised if it wasn't an ignition system problem. I agree with a module first, and if that doesn't cover it then you may have gotten a failed coil pack out of the box.

Back