1997 Chevy Cavalier failed emissions testing

Had similar problem with my 97 Integra as well. You will likely be able to marginally pass it if you do the whole enchilada of oil change, new plugs, drive it hot before the test, a bottle of techron in the tank prior to the test and long drive, 91 octane (I know it may not make sense but it eliminate possibility of knock related problem), etc.

I got mine from marginally failing to passing with some margin to spare. Yours is not too bad and with those above (mainly the techron and oil change, and a long drive before smog) it should pass.
When i worked as an emissions Inspector we had a lady with an 88 or so Toyota pickup. Every time she'd fail on the first pass but swore a bottle of bg44 or seafoam and a tank of premium she'd pass.

I wonder how much extra ethanol content would it take to pass. It would lower NOx and hydrocarbon. Are there limits on retesting? I’d shoot for E20-25 and see what happens.

Colorado cracked way down on that. Several surrounding counties didn't have emissions testing so people registered PO Boxes as their primary address which worked for a while till the state caught on. The next county over didn't have emissions until ten years ago or so when everyone started moving there.
I just don't understand why Polis is worried. We all want EVs and they are amazing. There will be no more ICEs on the road in a few months because all consumers are flocking to EVs. Duh.

I wonder how much extra ethanol content would it take to pass. It would lower NOx and hydrocarbon. Are there limits on retesting? I’d shoot for E20-25 and see what happens.
I'd be weary of using ethanol content that high as it's already a 27 year old vehicle. I'd be concerned with it eating seals or cleaning too much.

I'd be weary of using ethanol content that high as it's already a 27 year old vehicle. I'd be concerned with it eating seals or cleaning too much.
Technically it is the oxygenate that increase the oxygen content of the fuel, ethanol is just one type of oxygenate. 1 tank of E85 right before smog would not be a big problem like using it for 10 years. If concerned he can probably fill up only 2 gallons before smog and then immediately dillute it with regular gas after smog.

In the winter it helps when it takes longer for engine to warm up, and it is the winter fuel blend of RFG gas in California and maybe other state as well. The problem is if you use too much you may increase NOX.

I think OP's car could easily pass if he drive it to HOT before smog, oil change, new plugs (cheap copper is fine), and PEA / Techron. 91 gas or E85 is probably just extra safety margin.

Not sure about other state but I think there is an overlap between 97-00 that are both OBD2 and still need sniffer. 2000 and later are likely all OBD testing.
Likely this. Regardless, OP doesn't mention the CEL being on (in which case it would auto-fail no matter which on-board emissions system it was (OBD 1 or 2), and means that plugging a cheap scanner like most folks have wouldn't return any helpful diagnostic data anyway.

Here in Middle Tennessee, anything 96 and newer got the OBD 2 scanner plugged in to check monitor readiness and that was it. Never a sniff test.

95 and earlier only got a sniff test (in the 2010s, anyway-could have been different when OBD 1 was the latest standard). Our 95 Camaro really threw a few guys for a loop because it was OBD 1 in function, but had an OBD 2 port under the dash. OBD 2 scanners didn't work, you still had to use the jumper and count CEL flashes to read the codes or buy one of those OBD 1 make-specific readers. Our local GM dealer wouldn't even mess with it. I will never own another 95 MY GM. Haha

Ethanol doesn’t seem to be very damaging to older cars unlike methanol, and I don’t think E20 is much of a stretch from the E10 that most of are forced to use especially if it’s only in the tank for a few days.

If you already had a set did you have to buy new ones?
I didn't buy them for the cavalier but had considered it. It now looks like Colorado has made it more difficult to get. I have a 1984 Mazda Rx-7 that I want to switch over to classic plates but that may not be an option now.

Likely this. Regardless, OP doesn't mention the CEL being on (in which case it would auto-fail no matter which on-board emissions system it was (OBD 1 or 2), and means that plugging a cheap scanner like most folks have wouldn't return any helpful diagnostic data anyway.

Here in Middle Tennessee, anything 96 and newer got the OBD 2 scanner plugged in to check monitor readiness and that was it. Never a sniff test.

95 and earlier only got a sniff test (in the 2010s, anyway-could have been different when OBD 1 was the latest standard). Our 95 Camaro really threw a few guys for a loop because it was OBD 1 in function, but had an OBD 2 port under the dash. OBD 2 scanners didn't work, you still had to use the jumper and count CEL flashes to read the codes or buy one of those OBD 1 make-specific readers. Our local GM dealer wouldn't even mess with it. I will never own another 95 MY GM. Haha
Actually the only time a check engine light fails an obd2 vehicle is if it is a newer vehicle. Many older obd2 vehicles have passed with it on. The paperwork says "check engine light" pass or fail but that doesn't mean the test is a fail. Colorado seems to be a mishmash of weird rules.

Actually Colorado Springs is the second largest metropolitan population after Denver and they have no emissions testing. Go figure. Denver sits in a bowl essentially trapping smog.

I knew a fellow that did the inspections, and would at times help a poor looking person pass.
The whole deal for people in the know is a joke. Because they can do what ever to pass then switch things back when its all done.

Actually Colorado Springs is the second largest metropolitan population after Denver and they have no emissions testing. Go figure. Denver sits in a bowl essentially trapping smog.
The Springs did. They canned the program maybe 20-25 years ago.

Back