1997 Chevy 1500 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just acquired a '97 Chevy Silverado 1500, 305 V8, 2wd, Auto, 238,000 miles on the original motor. The previous owner always did 3000 miles oil changes at wal-mart with house brand oil. Engine sounds and runs great, no oil burning, no knock. Thinking about going with Rotella T5 10w-30 with Wix oil and air filters. Good Choice?? or should I go with some Rotella T 15w-40?

Shout me out some suggestions I want this engine to last me 300,000 miles. If possible. btw the truck will be occasionally used like 3 times a week to throw trash and cruise down dirt roads or if I feel like it take it to work.

Last edited:
Id run a good 10w30 and check for any leaks or if it is burning any. Usually it is caused by bad valve seals which are easy to replace on a SBC.

Both are good oil. How cold does it get in the deep south texas? 15w40 is the cheapest.

The Coldest it gets is like in the 40s but thats like maybe like 5 times a winter. Most of the time the whether is like 97+ in the summer and the humidity is like 90%.

FYI: Wal-Mart oil change places, at least every one I have seen, usually use Valvoline oil.

Personally, I would run 5W-30 or 10W-30 Super Tech.

In my 98 with the 305, I have used 10w-30HM Castrol GTX and the oil has been fine 6000 miles, or up to a year later. Maxlife, Pennz HM, Mobil Super will work just as well.

This engine does not like thin oils. Also check the condition of the PCV valve while under the hood.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Rottela T-5 and a Wix filter is a great choice. stay away from Super tech [censored]..

Yes because obviously if the truck has made it to 200k miles on this oil it is inferior and should never be used by anyone.

Rottela T-5 and a Wix filter is a great choice. stay away from Super tech [censored]..

So...you must have actual DATA showing that Super Tech is no good, then? because if not, there is no way you would make such a blanket statement...right?

Yea look it up.. its basic oil ,, you must know it all so lets hear it..

There is a big difference between basic and turds, everyone one has a right to their opinion and to state it. But to say an API Certified oil on a 1997 Pickup is not a good choice is just wrong.

Is Super Tech API CERTIFIED (meaning is has the starburst)? Big difference between that and the normal API roundel.

Nothing particularly wrong with Super Tech oil. The T-5 Rotella is better and would probably be a good choice for the '97 in question. I wouldn't use 15W40, even in Texas, unless the engine was being worked to it's max in hot weather and you know the oil temps were very high.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Is Super Tech API CERTIFIED (meaning is has the starburst)? Big difference between that and the normal API roundel.

Nothing particularly wrong with Super Tech oil. The T-5 Rotella is better and would probably be a good choice for the '97 in question. I wouldn't use 15W40, even in Texas, unless the engine was being worked to it's max in hot weather and you know the oil temps were very high.

There is something wrong with having both the API roundel and the starburst?

Super Tech that is made by Warren Performance Products is API certified and has the starburst on its 5W30 and 10W30 in both conventional and high mileage versions.

I would think that any of the SN suppliers of conventional Super Tech meet or exceed the SN standard and are API certified with the starburst symbol on oils that are 10W30 and below.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

There is something wrong with having both the API roundel and the starburst?

No, you missed the point. When an oil has the starburst, it means that the API has actually tested the oil (paid to have it tested rather) and found it meets the specs as attested to by a third party. The roundel only means the manufacturer is stating the oil complies with the specs listed on the roundel.

If Super Tech has the starburst, that's a very good sign. Unlike those no-name brands the PQIA has been exposing as unadulterated fecal matter.

Last edited:
When an oil has the starburst, it means that the API has actually tested the oil (paid to have it tested rather) and found it meets the specs as attested to by a third party. The roundel only means the manufacturer is stating the oil complies with the specs listed on the roundel.

Isn't the Starburst part of the resource conserving designation? For example, if the donut on the back has SN in it and resource conserving in the bottom portion, it can have the starburst on the front. If it's not resource conserving, but is still SN certified (or SM still), it can have the donut (without resource conserving in it) but not the starburst up front. Am I mistaken? That's how I've seen some high mileage oils and HDEOs, at least. The HDEOs definitely don't have the starburst, but they do have the donuts, and the HDEO offerings from ExxonMobil, BP, SOPUS, and Ashland definitely are API certified, SM or better, with full testing and approvals.

Originally Posted By: Garak
When an oil has the starburst, it means that the API has actually tested the oil (paid to have it tested rather) and found it meets the specs as attested to by a third party. The roundel only means the manufacturer is stating the oil complies with the specs listed on the roundel.

Isn't the Starburst part of the resource conserving designation? For example, if the donut on the back has SN in it and resource conserving in the bottom portion, it can have the starburst on the front. If it's not resource conserving, but is still SN certified (or SM still), it can have the donut (without resource conserving in it) but not the starburst up front. Am I mistaken? That's how I've seen some high mileage oils and HDEOs, at least. The HDEOs definitely don't have the starburst, but they do have the donuts, and the HDEO offerings from ExxonMobil, BP, SOPUS, and Ashland definitely are API certified, SM or better, with full testing and approvals.

I'm looking a a 5 qt jug of G Oil, 5W-30 Service SM. It has the Donut on the back label with API SERVICE SM and no resource conserving in the donut. It says it's "American Petroleum Institute CERTIFIED. It does not have the starburst on the label, front or back.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Garak

That was my interpretation of the API certifications also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back