5.3L Lifters and Certain Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MVFarms
30psi at idle may seem a little low, but it's acceptable and shouldn't be cause of a tick.

I wouldn't worry about 30 psi. My L83 has a variable displacement oil pump and runs 20psi at idle and 40psi at load.

My 2004 Z71 has 230,000 miles, and only has the tick when outside temperatures are cold at start up. It's happened since around 75,000 miles. Rotella T5 10w30 is what I've used for the last few years, and it's noticeably quieter with that oil.

Originally Posted by RHALL
My 2004 Z71 has 230,000 miles, and only has the tick when outside temperatures are cold at start up. It's happened since around 75,000 miles. Rotella T5 10w30 is what I've used for the last few years, and it's noticeably quieter with that oil.

over what oils? If you had some success with that, ever considered going further? Maybe brand, Maybe additive, Maybe viscosity? Seams like you say noticably quieter but not silent as in just smooth engine noise? search cam failure and molybdenum, many guys out there have tried many different strategies outlined above.

My boss has a classic 4.8 with 347k on the original engine. It has had a lifter rattle since 160k according to him. It just keeps running.

He gets it dealer serviced every 6k. They use Acdelco 5w30 Dexos.

You can try all kinds of oils, but more than likely it will run a very long time ticking or not. I'd say stick with Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 Full Synthetic and drive it another 170k

Your oil pressures are perfectly normal. My 08 5.3 runs 25-30psi at hot Idle. 40-45psi At 2k rpm and about 65-70psi WOT at 5500RPM when passing. I've owned it since 20k miles and it's always been the same. I run Maxlife FS 5w30 in it. The only time it's at 40psi @ Idle is during a cold start while Oil temp is low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back