1996 Dodge Stratus Wheel Shaking & Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same engine in a 1997 Voyager. The engine is a bit buzzy which causes the steering wheel to vibrate. It's more noticeable stopped in drive or in park. A car of that age can have an old worn, warped, rattly dashboard that can also rattle as a result of the buzzy engine. If your hand is on the wheel your watch can also rattle. Some cars are just buzzy and rattly and can't be cured with new motor mounts or plugs-it's normal.

If you are having problems with the idle acting strange (idling high or low for no reason) you might try removing the intake hose and cleaning the throttle body and ICV. These can be done with the car on or off, I would try both and see if your idle problem improves.

I put Champion plugs in my 2.4 (I don't remember what the number was but I think they were copper) and they are fine, so if you have $15 bucks burning a hole in your pocket you can get them, but I wouldn't be in much of a rush.

Your mpg sounds like its within range for all city driving.

Originally Posted By: cwp587

Also, JHZR2 is the shake just part of having the car?

My guess is yes. Ours is a very early 1997 model (bought early November '96).

My impression is that the jerk motion (that we dont see) aside, it is a harmonic transmitted through the steering coupling.

Car engines shake more when it gets colder - the mounts stiffen up.

Run a bottle of strong Techron through the tank, and get new spark plugs
This will take some time:
Check ALL vacuuum lines and where they connect. Also, intake fittings and gaskets. Vacuum leaks make cars idle funny. This is really important to do right.
Also, clean your throttle body and idle air vavle with solvent and a rag really nice.
Add these things up, and you should be very happy with the result. If not, you did wonderful maintenance anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back