1996 Cavalier 2.2L - 168k cylinder head picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The 2.2 is a boring motor, meaning it needs very little service if maintained properly. Great engine

+ 1 Steve. About the only bad thing about them is their noisy.

I would say they are noisy, they have no real top end power as the deeply cut heads breathe poorly at high RPMs. Low end torque is respectable, but I would never call it a fast engine. Ever.

Also, yes head bolts are Torque-to-yield. a Headgasket kit will come with new ones, as well as a new Intake Manifold Gasket set, Exhaust manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, and a few others.

True, they aren't fast especially when hooked to the old 3 speed transmission, they're a lot more lively when the 5 speed is attached. As long as the headgasket and timing chain stay in one piece those engines will live practically forever.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The 2.2 is a boring motor, meaning it needs very little service if maintained properly. Great engine

+2

What would be the step by step process for replacing the head gasket, also do I have to replace the water pump when replacing the head gasket even though I already did? Do I have to take the head or the block to the machine shop? Sorry its my first time doing a head gasket

you may find some help reading the previous posts---ie buy the manual--no one is going to give you step by step instructions---this is something you are going to find on your own

My wife and I had a '90 Model Sunbird with the 2.0l OHC engine in it. It had 180k miles on it when we got rid of it. The inside of the engine was clean as a whistle,and it used no oil at all. It never blew a head gasket either! We said we were going to keep driving it as a "beater" until it stranded us somewhere. It wasn't the car's fault,but the timing belt broke and stranded us about 50 miles from home. We had to call my Dad to bring his trailer. Even though I had neglected changing the belt we kept our promise and parked the car.

It sat for a year or more at my wife's grandmother's house as a "decoy" to prevent burglaries. I eventually sold it to a coworker who sold it someone who is driving it now. These so called "POS" cars would last if you took care of them!

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
My wife and I had a '90 Model Sunbird with the 2.0l OHC engine in it. It had 180k miles on it when we got rid of it. The inside of the engine was clean as a whistle,and it used no oil at all. It never blew a head gasket either! We said we were going to keep driving it as a "beater" until it stranded us somewhere. It wasn't the car's fault,but the timing belt broke and stranded us about 50 miles from home. We had to call my Dad to bring his trailer. Even though I had neglected changing the belt we kept our promise and parked the car.

It sat for a year or more at my wife's grandmother's house as a "decoy" to prevent burglaries. I eventually sold it to a coworker who sold it someone who is driving it now. These so called "POS" cars would last if you took care of them!

The Brazil built 1.8, 2.0 motors actually ran very good. Good torque, fuel millage I had a couple of them, one in a J2000 Sunbird (1.8) And one in a Oldsmobile Firenza (1.8). The best thing to do with them,was to keep them cool. So I just hard wired the fan to always be on,and never had any problem. Oh,and used 10W40 in them.

Last edited:
The car got QS 5w30 for over 100k miles,and then we went to QS High Mileage and dumped the Fram filters for A/C or Supertech. I also tried Valvoline HM in both 10w30 and 5w30. The last oil change I did was with Citgo HM 10w30 that was too goood of a bargain to pass up,and the car ran better than ever. My wife and I knew no fear in that car. The interior was trashed,but elsewise it looked pretty much new. We hit a deer in 2006 too. I was going for 20 years or 200k miles,but it didn't happen for us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back