1995 Buick Lesabre, 3800v6, 115k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two 3800's in the family and use 5W-30 oil(10W30) and lately it has been either PP or PYB... Have used Maxlife but I think the engine likes PP/PYB better. Better mileage with PP and PYB. Both seem to work very well with this engine. Very smooth...

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I think 5k and pyb530. Of course checking oil level once a month.

+++1 PYB 5w30

we have the 3800 in a few of our shop vehicles and they all get Chevron Supreme 5w-30. They all seem to run smooth and havn't had any problems. Not sure on the mileage on them, but I know we always buy used fleet cars, and we rarely get them with less than 130,000miles on them.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
QS defy 10w30 all year round

This 100%. The new Defy looks like a great product.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Castrol HM 5W-30 in the winter, 10W-30 in the summer.

castrol was my most favore oil, and my old man use it back in his day.

Whatever oil that is on sale or clearance in 5w-30 up to 10w-40. Even a mix of Dino Diesel and PCMO would do the vehicle justice. Since it will do a lot of short trips, it would be advisable to get it out on the highway once a week or so and run it nice and long at high speeds. This should help burn off any fuel in the oil and moisture in the sump. You don't want to invite any sludge build up in the engine. 2 OCI's a year is what I would do....nice car my friend.

If the intake manifold problem is straightened out, run ANYTHING in it. 3800s are easy on oil. Ive run just about every brand/weight and the Bonneville loves it. Ive even run Chevron Delo 15w40 in it with no trouble of any kind. Still quiet as a mouse.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Holden specced 20W-50 for that engine

That`s what I ran in my `87 Olds Trofeo,GTX 20W50. Sold it with a lil over 250,000 miles. Still ran like brand new,no leaks or usage.

Last edited:
Who is Holden? And the manual expressly says NOT to use 20W50!!!!

It will probably be PYB 5W30 with annual changes.

This one has an oil change reset button in the glove box. Gotta look at that a bit...

Holden specced 20W-50 for that engine, 15W-40 in "extreme cold".

I run 5W-30.

Oh, and a quick look inside the valve cover via the oil filler cap reveals a squeaky clean engine.

Holden is General Motors Holden, GMH, the people who make and sell GM products down here.

The manual for the 3.8 expressly states TO use 20W-50, with 15W-40 acceptable in extreme cold.

Well, I don't know where down here is, but my manual says NOT to use 20W50.

Holden is General Motors Holden, GMH, the people who make and sell GM products down here.

The manual for the 3.8 expressly states TO use 20W-50, with 15W-40 acceptable in extreme cold.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Well, I don't know where down here is, but my manual says NOT to use 20W50.

How about reading the whole post (including name and location). Holden is a GM Division based in Australia and the engine was produced in the USA and identical to ours.

I believe the point was that the 3800 is not particularly viscosity sensitive and will likely survive fine on anything readily available on the shelves if you use some common sense. IE Straight 70 Weight at 40 Below might not be a good idea.

Well, I've tried alot off different oil brands and filter brands in the impalas 3.4, and PennHM 5w30 seems to make it sound it's best when used with the puroclassic filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back