1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't spend $100 on plug wires, please. Timing, maybe. The timing guy will tell you if you need wires.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't spend $100 on plug wires, please. Timing, maybe. The timing guy will tell you if you need wires.

+1
If you plan on purchasing another Volvo, don't put any more funds than you have to in order to keep the Blazer running smoothly and to pass inspection.

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
They took a saw-zall and cut the old sensor.

Glad you had it replaced.

What's up with the NJ shops that you go to and their zeal to use a Sawzall, yes cut the connector but then just use a deep socket. I use my Sawzall for occasional exhaust removal (old ratty system that i just want to get off quickly or rusty bolts on spring shackles, shocks, etc).

Seems to be the go to tool in your area.

And $80 for 10 minutes
sick.gif

Yeah 80 bucks sounds like a lot but let's consider what he's spent on extra fuel,effort,miracles in a can and whatever else.
Had he spent that 80 bucks 3 weeks ago he'd be way further ahead now.

Money well spent.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Trans leak is simple, assuming it is the pan gasket. Timing cover leak Im not as sure about.

But the main goal is to get this thing stable so that he has mobility and isnt burning excessive gas. Then we can make the call as to his earnings and savings rate, and what he right direction is for him to invest in this vs. saving for the next vehicle.

I know some people absolutely HATE that I dare comment on these things, but oh well. Seems that if not for some medical/psychiatric issues, TLG has a good brain on his shoulders and is a pretty smart guy. He may go here or there on a whim sometimes, but I think he means well in the end. Many on here appear to hate him, but I think that with some guidance from us on here that mean well for him, he will dig out and become self sufficient in time.

Im hoping for the best for him.

I agree with you. Although he has the ability to drive a person nuts his heart is in the right place and there comes a time where you realize if you aren't part of the solution you are a part of the problem.
A little positive karma goes a long way in this life.

Quote:
He's looking from the bottom up forgetting gravity. Most likely the intake or water pump leaking and trickling down. Dye would find it (and it comes in a bottle so that's a plus :))

I can buy dye. Where? Is it cheap? (The leak usually happens after I fill it all the way up. Been using water.)

?

And yes, after being up under the car.. Though the ATF lines are soaked in ATF too, the leak appears to be originating from the pan. Will have to look more, but, that is what I saw. (Maybe running along the lines too.)[/quote]

Ght. Don't buy plug wires unless absolutely necessary. And if required don't spend more that needed. It's not like you've got some kind of msd ignition that will benefit from thicker plug wires.
Just buy cheap stuff. If you actually need it.
When its dark pop the hood and see if there is a spark arcing where the boot meets the plug. That indicates the spark isn't getting to the plug. Check the wires for cracking. If cracked then maybe replace.
Try an auto wrecker for plug wires and just take em.

Yes, and honestly, even the good wires will show some slight illumination at the plug in the pitch dark.

Im rather annoyed that I cannot ever seem to get my expensive $100 wires onto the distributor perfectly...

6A4AC93F-9B1C-4B07-A803-29B8B20E1B32-10472-000010B091326755_zpsde35c57f.jpg

PS, note the mouse litter under the dist cap?

Car really does drive differently. No more misting smoke from tailpipe, barely visible.
Smoother idle, no/almost no shake.

Good. It is probably about as smooth as it's ever going to be.

Quote:
Could still use tune-up, I am sure.

You already put new plugs in it, why do you think it needs a tune-up?

Quote:
With some Belden blue NAPA spark plug wires, the ones that cost like $100.. Maybe go 7.5mm?
%% (Coil, Dist. Cap, Dist. Rotor, 6 CR43TS plugs and the Belden wires, as to a 1994 when it comes time)
-- Really NOTICEABLE.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Stop this line of thinking! This is how you end up with no bloody money! Your Blazer doesn't need 100 dollar friggin' plug wires, the stock AC Delco ones that GM fit to it are MORE than adequate and are probably a fraction of that from the dealer. Even the cheap NAPA wires are "good enough". You don't gain anything from spending more money on plug wires here! Why do you think it needs a coil? If the coil is firing, leave it alone! Cap and rotor? Sure, OEM (like with the wires) but only if they are worn. Maybe have the guy doing the timing take a look at them?

You have to STOP THROWING PARTS AT THIS THING!

Fix what's BROKEN. That is ALL. You say you want another Volvo, right? If that's the case, then you should be socking away the money that you want to keep peeing into the wind on this thing so that you can afford one! That means no more miracles in a can, no $100 plug wires, no 14 sets of spark plugs, no throttle body cleaner, no MOS2, NOTHING. Get it on the road, timed, and with the coolant leak fixed and then just DRIVE IT.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Ght. Don't buy plug wires unless absolutely necessary. And if required don't spend more than needed.
^^^This.

The basic set from AutoZone will be be just fine on that motor. Same for the cap and rotor if needed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Car really does drive differently. No more misting smoke from tailpipe, barely visible.
Smoother idle, no/almost no shake.

Good. It is probably about as smooth as it's ever going to be.

Quote:
Could still use tune-up, I am sure.

You already put new plugs in it, why do you think it needs a tune-up?

Quote:
With some Belden blue NAPA spark plug wires, the ones that cost like $100.. Maybe go 7.5mm?
%% (Coil, Dist. Cap, Dist. Rotor, 6 CR43TS plugs and the Belden wires, as to a 1994 when it comes time)
-- Really NOTICEABLE.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Stop this line of thinking! This is how you end up with no bloody money! Your Blazer doesn't need 100 dollar friggin' plug wires, the stock AC Delco ones that GM fit to it are MORE than adequate and are probably a fraction of that from the dealer. Even the cheap NAPA wires are "good enough". You don't gain anything from spending more money on plug wires here! Why do you think it needs a coil? If the coil is firing, leave it alone! Cap and rotor? Sure, OEM (like with the wires) but only if they are worn. Maybe have the guy doing the timing take a look at them?

You have to STOP THROWING PARTS AT THIS THING!

Fix what's BROKEN. That is ALL. You say you want another Volvo, right? If that's the case, then you should be socking away the money that you want to keep peeing into the wind on this thing so that you can afford one! That means no more miracles in a can, no $100 plug wires, no 14 sets of spark plugs, no throttle body cleaner, no MOS2, NOTHING. Get it on the road, timed, and with the coolant leak fixed and then just DRIVE IT.

Exactly.
If the plugs are firing the coil is fine. They either work or they don't. Mos2 might be an idea if its going to be your forever vehicle however I doubt anything will extend its life at this point.
Just do what it needs done on a basic level. It's not a race car,it doesn't need race car parts.
Just think. Sure it cost 80 bucks to get the o2 sensor changed but had you done it 3 weeks ago how much less fuel would you have burned. Likely enough to pay for the timing right.
Dude. Focus

Quote:
He's looking from the bottom up forgetting gravity. Most likely the intake or water pump leaking and trickling down. Dye would find it (and it comes in a bottle so that's a plus :))

With the temps getting colder, you will need to start using anitfreeze/water mix or else the water will freeze and crack your engine block. Nothing in can will fix that

Originally Posted By: NYSteve

Quote:

With the temps getting colder, you will need to start using anitfreeze/water mix or else the water will freeze and crack your engine block. Nothing in can will fix that

Just want to be careful here, I suggested the dye but never suggested running just water as we approach cold weather (that was his statement and made sense for at the time and cost). Can still add the dye and the last product I used (Spectronics Corp / Tracer TP39000601) despite being bright green was so bright I didn't need the UV light/goggles)

Get 'er good and hot with some 2/3 throttle ITU's.

Don't floor it though as that dumps gas in the oil.

Any tips on how to pass inspection? (We are about to go!)

Yes - get it timed!

But, of course, you won't ...
18.gif

Yeah, get the timing done...........
crazy2.gif

Just drive there, and get the dang truck tested already.

BC.

Since emissions testing is apparently free, we now have the opportunity to get numbers for bad o2/ bad timing, good o2/ bad timing... and, potentially, in the future, good o2/ good timing. Or if he keeps tooling around, bad new o2/ good timing.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back