What is going on with my battery? leaks...weak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's more complicated than that. I'm sorry this is wordy but I'm trying to work out multiple problems and trying to provide lots of info and pictures.

The last two batteries I've had in my BMW E39 have been Interstate MTP-93s, based on glowing recommendations from other owners. The first, bought in 2003, dumped enough acid in my trunk to run down into the spare tire well stripping paint along the way, eventually drying up around one of the drain plugs.

The second was supplied in 2005 as a warranty replacement for that first one from a supplier 50miles from the first who happens to be my indy shop of choice when I can't do a job myself. After body shop repairs, I've tried to protect the battery area including the application of battery mat material. I've posted in a number of threads, including here, about how the original battery leaked and how this new one still continues to show signs of oozing from the caps.

I generally remove and check the battery no less than once a year. I check fluid levels and test the electrolyte in each cell with a hydrometer. I have never had to add a drop of water to this batteyr and the hydrometer indicates 100% after an overnight rest. I sometimes use a desulfating battery tender over one night every 1-3 weeks to make sure it's topped up and get some desulfating action. A fair weather car I used to have was on this tender 24/7/365 unless I was on the road with it and there were no issues with it.

Every time I look at this battery I see something like this:
0001.jpg

Just for kicks, the last time I did this (Sept 2010) I reinstalled the caps, covered with foil tape (as per someone's suggestion here) and then covered that with clear duct tape as an insulator:
0005.jpg

A full album of everything I observed that day is here

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the car was cranking slowly but figured it must be my imagination. A couple of days later I figured it was definitely slow so I brought up a reasonably accurate voltmeter function on my instrument cluster. It was definitely weak, with the cluster completely shutting down during cranking. Charging voltage was/is 13.8-14.0, just like it has always been for the 9.5 years I've had this car. After about 30 mins of driving I put it on a charger capable of 10A when I got home and it charged for only around 15mins before showing ~14.4V. The temp was just below freezing around this time. I had not used the tender in 3 weeks or so.

I thought that it might have been short trips, or maybe the kids left a reading light on one time, combined with the temps etc... I put my tender on for the rest of the day and overnight. The tender was in charge mode for many hours before kicking to desulfate mode. I've generaly used the cluster voltmeter, but I measured "idle" voltage (still a draw of more than 3A with trunk lighting and various computers awake) of 12.2V at the battery, which according to my reading is expected for "fully charged" at 0C.

The fact that the battery takes days to weaken, still starts the car even when cold and weak and indicates 100% on the hydrometer has me puzzled. Other batteries I've had show declining hydrometer readings over the service life and have always ended up dying in the end with the characteristic 10.4V and no-start condition from a sulfation cell short. I thought my desulfating charger habits were seriously extending the service life.

Well, it got weak again after a week although I didn't let it get nearly as low as before. No slow cranking was observed but measurements indicated lower than normal terminal voltage when turning on the ignition but before starting. I performed a test on the car to check the current draw when the car is in "sleep" mode. That passed just fine at 24 mA - right on spec. So the charging system is OK, and there are no abnormal draws to run the battery down while parked so the problem must be the battery, or the battery has been unable to deep charge due to temperatures which have been well below freezing since this started (sometimes closer to 0F). I thought again I'd recharge with the tender and observe, just in case the full reboot of the car (caused by disconnecting the battery to do the drain test) had actually fixed a module that was maybe staying awake. I never had any perception of battery issues in the spring/summer/fall.

Yesterday I observed that voltages according to the cluster were on the weaker side again. Today I brought the battery inside to warm up to room temperature. I was then going to do a fairly extended bench charge with the 10A charger intending to do cell equalization and make sure that a full, deep charge was achieved with 100% certainty.

On getting the battery to the bench, I found under the foil tape a significant build up of white crystals from the battery still oozing from the caps since September. Why does this keep happening with charging voltage being in proper range and, if anything, the battery is certainly not being overcharged considering what's happening to me now? This battery is remote vented - why would enough pressure build up to cause oozing past the caps instead of venting gases out the vent?

IMG_5053.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

One thing I've always wondered is if the battery is overfilled. I see the fluid top is "fish eyeing" in cell but I measure that the fluid level is over 1" above the top of the plates. I've tried to capture the fluid level in a couple of pictures, enhancing brightness to try to see into the cells:

IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

All of my pictures from today are here

As I said, if they are overfilled then that is two completely separate vendors, in two different years (2003 and 2005) which have sold me overfilled Interstate batteries. I'm seriously considering removing some electrolyte, even though this is generally a bad idea, to see if they stop oozing all over the place.

Of course if I can't get it to perform properly, that may be academic because I need a replacement anyways. I don't have a lot of options in group 49/93 available to me locally and I wouldn't want to throw in another Interstate/JCI just to have it keep leaking, and JCI is my number one choice. 5 years of service life is pretty good, but based on the hydrometer reading of 100% and my use of a desulfating battery tender I thought there was still plenty of life left...

I appreciate any comments on both the oozing and the charge retention issues.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I went down for a routine check on the bench charging. The terminal voltage was about 14.9 (I was going to stop at 15) and the battery had puked a bunch of electrolyte out the vent connection. This thing MUST be overfilled, no?

No sign of anything coming out of the vent caps, though. Battery temp 26C.

With the amount of crystals, stains, droplets of electrolyte and evidence of acid spills I've seen around these Interstates I am pretty scared of keeping it in there or buying another one.

My next choice after JCI would be East Penn/Deka - not sure if I can get a bonafide Deka in group 49 locally or not.

Last edited:
Over charging???? Your alternator could be boiling the battery. What voltage and amperage is it charging at?

The last 2 pictures showed the electrolyte was overfilled by more than 1/4". The electrolyte should be under the fill tube, I would try to use a turkey baster to siphon some electrolyte.

If you can't get East Penn/Deka in group 49, try Everstart Maxx at Walmart, my local WM has Maxx at $82 yours may be a little higher in Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slammds15
Over charging???? Your alternator could be boiling the battery. What voltage and amperage is it charging at?

13.8-14.0VDC, every time I check in any season. Current pulled by the battery at that applied voltage would be determined by the battery itself - never measured. To measure I think I'd need an inductive setup capable of measuring DC, which I don't have (AC only).

If I was boiling the battery I would think - 1/ I probably would have needed to add water in the last 5 years 2/ based on what I just observed on the bench I'd have acid everywhere.
mad.gif
3/ I would be less likely to have my current situation where the battery gradually weakens over the course of a week (with daily use, although plenty of that is short trips).

Cheers,

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The last 2 pictures showed the electrolyte was overfilled by more than 1/4". The electrolyte should be under the fill tube, I would try to use a turkey baster to siphon some electrolyte.

If I'm going to try something, I'm going to try it tonight before reinstalling the battery. The trunk mounting gives the battery a comfortable life but makes it annoying to install/uninstall so I want to get it back in before the Sunday morning rush.

Quote:

If you can't get East Penn/Deka in group 49, try Everstart Maxx at Walmart, my local WM has Maxx at $82 yours may be a little higher in Canada.

Would that be an Exide? Read lots of bad things about Exide... Although I also seem to remember reading that Walmart could be either, and more recently was JCI (same leaking problem?)

I may check them out - thanks...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Honestly, I'd try a Motorcraft battery from Ford if they make it in that size. They are excellent.

If you believe everything you read on the Internet
wink.gif
- they are JCI:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_motorcraft_batteries
http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023696
http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-motorcraft-batteries/

This echoes what I've heard before that JCI makes some of the best out there. If their group 49/93s would just keep their acid on the inside I'd be thrilled
smile.gif
Granted, it's looking like both of mine have been overfilled, however THAT happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What you really want is the electrolite to just barely cover the plates. This is from years of forklift repairs, the morons at the wearhouses for some reason would always fill the batteries to the ring and when charging the batteries would boil over so we would have to clean up the me$$.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

What you really want is the electrolite to just barely cover the plates. This is from years of forklift repairs, the morons at the wearhouses for some reason would always fill the batteries to the ring and when charging the batteries would boil over so we would have to clean up the me$$.

I've read two different instructions for setting level - I've read before that the plates must at least be covered as you say, that's a given. The other method I've read is that the electrolyte should just contact the plastic which dips down from the fill ports creating a fish eye effect at the bottom. Maybe this ensures that the plates are covered in ALL temps if the "fish eye" method is used at room temp? What happens when it's -10F next week and I've just barely covered the plates at 70F? (honest question)

It's been a while, but I've heard/read that the electrolyte level fluctuates a lot based on state of charge and, of course, temperature. Not to mention if there's gas bubbles on the plates displacing liquid, I guess.

Either way I think I'm taking some electrolyte out this evening.

Last edited:
I have always filled to just cover the plates. Bringing the level up to touching the fill tubes then charging seems to result what your experiencing. I guess temp/expansion can come into play also.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

Quote:

Would that be an Exide? Read lots of bad things about Exide... Although I also seem to remember reading that Walmart could be either, and more recently was JCI (same leaking problem?)

I may check them out - thanks...

I checked Everstart Maxx at my 3 local Walmart stores last week, they are made by JC.

My current E430 group 49 was purchased from local MB dealer more than 6 years ago for about $120, it is located under the rear seat. It still going strong, but the next one will be the Evertart Maxx for $82 at WM, because the new price at dealer is more than $200 now, $219 + tax, almost triple the WM price.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Honestly, I'd try a Motorcraft battery from Ford if they make it in that size. They are excellent.

If you believe everything you read on the Internet
wink.gif
- they are JCI:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_motorcraft_batteries
http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023696
http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-motorcraft-batteries/

This echoes what I've heard before that JCI makes some of the best out there. If their group 49/93s would just keep their acid on the inside I'd be thrilled
smile.gif
Granted, it's looking like both of mine have been overfilled, however THAT happened.

They probably are. However, I've never had the problem you are experiencing with them. Like anything, OEM's produce to a host of different spec's depending on who is making the order. I wonder if Ford's spec's are higher (like they are with Purolator for example) than for batteries sold under the Exide moniker?

If the Hydrometer shows 100 percent you are probably over charging it. When you start the vehicle the amper-hour draw is not significant enough that you should be woried about how many amper-hours of charge are on the battery. CCA is what your battery requires. And if it has 80 percent charge or above it has plenty of CCA if it is a good battery of that size. I would feal much safer stopping the charge at anything from 80 to less than 100 percent on the hydrometer.

60 months from any battery is a long time, even if it is rated at 85. I would get a new battery if I were you.

Duralast Gold or another Interstate would be my two top choices. The Duralast Gold would probably cost 25 to 40 dollars less.

They probably are. However, I've never had the problem you are experiencing with them. Like anything, OEM's produce to a host of different spec's depending on who is making the order. I wonder if Ford's spec's are higher (like they are with Purolator for example) than for batteries sold under the Exide moniker?

Is yours a remote vented design? Perhaps the different construction related to allowing the connection of a remote vent tube lets electrolyte escape easier? Tonight's charging puke escaped from the vent, not the cell caps, so that might explain it (?)

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

If the Hydrometer shows 100 percent you are probably over charging it. When you start the vehicle the amper-hour draw is not significant enough that you should be woried about how many amper-hours of charge are on the battery. CCA is what your battery requires. And if it has 80 percent charge or above it has plenty of CCA if it is a good battery of that size. I would feal much safer stopping the charge at anything from 80 to less than 100 percent on the hydrometer.

Good points. My observations were after charging on the battery tender and then disconnecting overnight - it wasn't straight out of the car. I should also point out that my hydrometer is the type with four floating balls, thus it only has 25% resolution. It floated all four balls at room temperature. I've never bothered to apply the formulas I've seen where you're supposed to take specific gravity, temperature and terminal voltage to yield SoC. I should look for a better hydrometer and maybe I will in the future.

I'm actually unclear whether the hydrometer is giving me a look into the service life of the battery, or strictly the state of charge relative to the battery's current maximum capacity accounting for age. I should research that more. Previous batteries I've had before I used a tender+desulfation floated 2 or 3 of the 4 balls after a charge and rest at around 5 years of age. I figured the test was giving me an indication of service life - maybe not.

I guess I'm figuring that if a battery doesn't sulfate or precipitate anything out of solution, what is there to wear out?

It is 2005 battery and you are in Canada. Why are you even *thinking* about this battery? Buy a new one today!

Are you sure that's a Johnson Controls battery-I don't remember seeing vent caps like that on an Interstate before, although the Duralast in my 300D looks like that (and I haven't noticed any leakage). The desulfating/Battery Minder charger is definitely the way to go-I've brought some questionable batteries back with them, and I've had such good luck with Interstate I bought 2 new MTP-65s TODAY for the Ram.

From the pictures....it looks like you have to much fluid in there. It should be filled up to where the slot begins in the tube and should be checked when the battery is fully charged.
If the vehicle is a daily driver I see no reason for the battery tender. Use that if the vehicle sits for weeks without being started.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
It is 2005 battery and you are in Canada. Why are you even *thinking* about this battery? Buy a new one today!

Well, part of my discussion is "why do my Interstates keep puking" before I would even consider buying one. It looks like they were both overfilled, the next question is why did they come that way?

I suppose wherever I end up buying a battery, whether Deka or JCI, I'm going to have to ask them to pop the caps off before I leave the store to make sure it isn't overfilled? Who is *that* OCD? I guess I have to be...

As for my climate - I've read that heat and vibration kills batteries. My cool climate and the fact that the battery rides in the passenger compartment should dramatically extend it's service life - in theory, of course
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back