1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel coolant

hello,

what coolant would you recommend for a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel?
I live in tropical climate in nicaragua a country where the lowest temperature ever recorded was around 59 degrees F or 15 celsius and temperature maintains between 72 and 86 degrees F or 22 to 30 degrees Celsius, in may temperatures may get up to 100 degrees F or 38 degrees celsius. The vehicle was just purchased and has around 270,000 km. I dont have the owners manual.
These are the coolants available to me:

inorganic acid technology coolants iat :
peak fleet charge with astm 4985 specs
hella blue coolant hcb05 dont see the specs
napa heavy duty precharged with astm 4985 specs
mobil heavy duty precharged with astm 4985 specs

with oat organic acid technology coolants:
prestone heavy duty nitrite free yellow oat specs
toyota extended long life coolant pink oat specs
toyota long life coolant red oat specs
john deere cool gard II oat specs
cat extended life oat specs

i saw a video on youtube where 4 coolants were boiled to see how much deposits were left afterwards and the napa hd coolant had the least amount of deposits leftover.

thanks

jorge

Last edited:
I see your post is a few years old, but it's an interesting question. Back in 1990, they quite likely spec'd the old conventional IAT Green coolant like almost everybody else. I wouldn't use that today, myself, in anything that I was willing to do a thorough flush on on, finishing with a distilled water flush. You have diesel engine. That likely has some requirements that are different from gasoline engine that are related to the high shock waves a diesel produces, which can present a risk of coolant cavitation, which can cause pitting. My first thought would be a G-05 coolant, which has nitrites for exactly that purpose. That is a fairly old coolant, there may be better solutions today. I like the fact the Zerex lists the actual test results of all their coolants. The spec sheets are each 3 pages, below is page 3 for original green and G-05. The other pages also have helpful information.

Edit to add: I see this isn't in your list, but I'll note that G-05 isn't an IAT or an OAT. It is a HOAT with nitrites. The conventional green is quite likely similar to anybody elses conventional green. I'd be curious if Valvoline markets it's antifreeze line under a different name in Latin America.
screen-Green3.jpg

screen-G05-3.jpg

Last edited:
i just decided to go with the sca precharged diesel coolant from mobil as this comes with the additives to protect diesel engines from cavitation. even though they do sell diesel coolant here from peak, though generally the mobil gets priced lower so i go with that. the coolant i use:
Mobil-Heavy-Duty.jpg

i use this formulation just that i use the 50 concentrate 50 water prediluted one that you can just fill right up.
oh and nope, valvoline sells there coolant line as xerex in nicaragua, so there you go.

i just decided to go with the sca precharged diesel coolant from mobil as this comes with the additives to protect diesel engines from cavitation. even though they do sell diesel coolant here from peak, though generally the mobil gets priced lower so i go with that. the coolant i use: View attachment 106048

i use this formulation just that i use the 50 concentrate 50 water prediluted one that you can just fill right up.
oh and nope, valvoline sells there coolant line as xerex in nicaragua, so there you go.
It's interesting that they do list Nitrite on their spec sheet, but not in their MSDS.

i also checked peak sca precharge coolant sds and they too didnt have any nitrites on SDS. Which coolant for diesel engines has nitrite in SDS?

Napa heavy duty antifreeze coolant 50/50 mix sca precharged SDS also has no nitrites in ingredient list.

Interesting. It seems to be the same deal with the NAPA HD you mention, nitrites in the description , but not in the MSDS. Maybe nitrites aren't required to be listed in the MSDS? I know I have seen them on other MSDS sheets though. Some companies seem to be better about full product disclosure, others like to be vague and use the term "proprietary" a lot.

Back