Looking for oem battery CCA spec for European Market/JDM 1990 toyota Corolla diesel engine

Hello,

I would like to know what toyota recommends regarding the minimum CCA for a battery for a JDM 1990 toyota corolla diesel engine 1.8 Liter 1C engine sedan.

anyone know the oem spec for battery CCA for this vehicle? I checked in owners manual and nothing about Battery CCA did not get mentioned.

Cheers

Jorge

I did a simple search on the internet for Toyota Corolla batteries sold in Germany in 1990 and came up with this graphic. This is from the battery manufacturer Varta but you can search on your own for other manufacturers. You have more specific details of which product you own and the build dates, engine codes, etc. I just picked the first Corolla that was equipped with a 1.8 liter diesel engine and this is what was recommended. There was also another, more powerful battery with the part number 595 404 083 but you'll have to measure your dimensions to determine what size will fit your vehicle.

64 PS Corolla.JPG

There used to be a rule that said one CCA per CID. So a big block Chevy 454 engine would need a 454 CCA battery minimum. A diesel would obviously need a percentage more. If you can't find the direct specs, I'd just go by whatever VW diesels of that era used. I'd say anything 500 to 600 CCA would be plenty even in the colder areas.

I visited diehard battery finder website on dvance autoparts website and i know this specific toyota 1c diesel engine got installed in the US on 84-85 corolla naturally aspirated and on the 85-86 camry turboed.

Strangely the diehard battery finder tool lists for the 1985 corolla diesel dlx 1.8 OE battery CCA 655;

Though the same diehard battery finder tool lists for the 1985 camry dlx diesel 1.8 OE battery CCA 320.

What would explain this 335 CCA difference between these vehicles with basically the same toyota 1c diesel engine?

Screenshot_20220710-150736_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220710-131420_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I did a simple search on the internet for Toyota Corolla batteries sold in Germany in 1990 and came up with this graphic. This is from the battery manufacturer Varta but you can search on your own for other manufacturers. You have more specific details of which product you own and the build dates, engine codes, etc. I just picked the first Corolla that was equipped with a 1.8 liter diesel engine and this is what was recommended. There was also another, more powerful battery with the part number 595 404 083 but you'll have to measure your dimensions to determine what size will fit your vehicle.

View attachment 107434
Thank you @FowVay I wonder what other european brands of batteries have online battery finders.

battery corolla.png

i did find some battery sizes from the toyota parts catalog at toyodiy. i see the battery sizes 80D26L and 95D31L.
The 80D26L equals BCI Group 35.
I think the bigger size of 95D31L which in short code equals G7 and in BCI equals approximately Group 27F woulld fit fine.

Dimensions305 × 171 × 225 mm equals 95D31L
4rNzU.png

This battery currently finds itself in the corolla:

Last edited:
What would explain this 335 CCA difference between these vehicles with basically the same toyota 1c diesel engine?
The two cars require two different battery group sizes. Advance knows the minimum CCA but won't tell you directly, they will only recommend batteries that meet or exceed that. And for oddball battery sizes they often don't carry any cheaper alternatives but only have the gold/ platinum.

I noticed this when my Saturn SL1 and Buick Century took the same standard GM side post battery, but they (Advance) only recommended an econo version for the saturn.

Back