1985 Toyota MR2 oil selection and UOA question

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this but if those tires really are 35 years old, I hope he plans on replacing them ASAP! They are ticking time bombs at this point. (new tires are also going to make that car handle so much better!)

When I was a teenager one of my neighbors had an MR2 exactly like that one which he bought brand new. I always loved the MR2, it is a cool car :)

Awesome, man!

Would love to see some more pics, if you get the chance.

It would be so cool to get to take that MR2 out for a drive on some tight, twisty roads! The suspension and brakes would probably be found to be lacking, but that’s nothing the aftermarket can’t cure, and that car would be worth spending some money on upgrades!

Is that your blue STi in the background?
Yep that's mine!

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this but if those tires really are 35 years old, I hope he plans on replacing them ASAP! They are ticking time bombs at this point. (new tires are also going to make that car handle so much better!)

When I was a teenager one of my neighbors had an MR2 exactly like that one which he bought brand new. I always loved the MR2, it is a cool car :)
We did replace the tires and the brakes. Unfortunately the pickings are slim for tires of that size.

Given the car’s age, a high-mileage oil might be wise to keep the seals in better shape. How about MaxLife 10w-30?

Seems that there supposedly aren't any true conventional engine oils these days. How about Pennzoil Gold, Valvoline Daily Protection for the MR2, 5w30 or 10w30.

I think someone the other day mentioned the only true conventionals now are 10W30 and up? I went on Pennzoil's website and 5W20 and 5W30 are listed as synthetic blends, and 10W30,10W40,and 20W50 are listed as conventionals. I would use a 10W30 conventional in it.

That’s what I was going to say. 35 year old tires 😱😱

but see where he said new tires installed so that is good

Back