1980's Performance Car Flashbacks

Good points. The Dodge Omni GLHS was a driver's car that would br illegal to build today due to safety mandates.
Anyway this was not a comparison to modern offerings thread as the Canadian shifted the conversation towards.

1986-shelby-dodge-omni-glh-s-advertisement.jpg

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Good points. The Dodge Omni GLHS was a driver's car that would br illegal to build today due to safety mandates.
Anyway this was not a comparison to modern offerings thread as the Canadian shifted the conversation towards.

Yeah, my 2008 E-350 is good for 6.5 seconds. When they went to 302hp in 2012, that one is rated at 5.9 seconds. So many average modern cars beat the sports car of old.

The car to pick up chicks in, the venerable Porsche 944. Serengeti sunglasses and Rolex required.

The Porsche 944 is a sports car manufactured by German automobile manufacturer Porsche from 1982 to 1991. A front-engine, rear-wheel drive mid-level model based on the 924 platform, the 944 was available in coupé or cabriolet body styles, with either naturally aspirated or turbocharged engines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_944

Back in the 80s, the 944 and 928 were my dream cars.

My best friend had one, great handling and fun.

I started getting into them in the early 90s. Started with an 89 GTi 8v then a 90 Corrado G60 then up from there.

Still stirs my almonds

I was always struck by how small they looked in person. They'd always look huge in the photos.

The Renault 5 Turbo or R5 Turbo is a high-performance hatchback automobile launched by the French manufacturer Renault at the Brussels Motor Show in January 1980. The car was primarily designed for rallying, but was also sold in a street version. A total of 4987 (turbo 1: 1820 and turbo 2: 3167) R5 Turbos were manufactured during a six-year production run...Driven by Jean Ragnotti in 1981, the 5 Turbo won the Monte Carlo Rally on its first outing in the World Rally Championship.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5_Turb

6613562161_2c840b417a_b.jpg

The car to pick up chicks in, the venerable Porsche 944. Serengeti sunglasses and Rolex required.

The Porsche 944 is a sports car manufactured by German automobile manufacturer Porsche from 1982 to 1991. A front-engine, rear-wheel drive mid-level model based on the 924 platform, the 944 was available in coupé or cabriolet body styles, with either naturally aspirated or turbocharged engines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_944

I had an '89 944 Turbo. It was a fun car back in the day.

Not mine, but it looked just like this.

[Linked Image]

This was THE car to have in 1985 to draw attention: Camaro IROC Z

Back in HS my best friends dad collected 409 Chevies. His pride and joy was a 62, dual quad 409,4 speed car. Blue with a white top. His dad left for work early and we often took the 62 out for breakfast.

One morning we were at a red light. One of those Iroc Camaro's pulled up next to us. The driver was the foot ball team star,his cheerleader girlfriend was next to him and 2 more in the back.

He looks at these 2 long hair kids from auto shop and threw a rev. Thinking he is going to impress the girls.

My friend put the 409 into 1st gear with a clunk. Solid lifters all clattering and a rumpity rump idle.

Light turned green. Iroc squeeked the tires. The 409 blew both rear tires up in smoke but still 1/2 car ahead of the Camaro. Shifted the 409 into 2nd and both rear hubcaps came off and the big Chevie was having a hard time staying in it's lane.

At this point we were several cars lengths ahead of the Camaro so my friend backed out of it and let the Camaro pass.

They got stopped at the next light, we rolled up. Funny.....Nobody in that new Camaro will even look this way!

Guess we should go find our hubcaps.

Back